Vomiting due to virus?

Breed: Not quite sure
Hello Dr.Marie.
Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some problems. First of all I am 15 and i hope that as i get older i wish to be a vet. Now, about a week ago we adopted a new kitten.
The kittens name is junior and when we got him he had worms so me started treating him right away well junior is very playful well smokey has been feeling a little sick. And lately she goes to puke but she eather cant or it is being blocked. I have done a little research and people say it could be somthing with her upper respiratory syatem and that i have to take her to the vet but my mom wont do that unless she gets some liable research or if i can get proof please message back if you have any idea whats wrong with her. I've had her since i was born and i dont feel like loosing her now. Please help.

Thanks for your question! It's nice to hear that you would like to be a vet. It's hard work sometimes, but very rewarding.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Smokey, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It certainly is possible that Smokey has an upper respiratory tract virus. Cats with this type of virus get really congested and can sound like they are coughing or trying to clear their throats. If this is the case, many cats can recover on their own similar to how we would recover from a cold. However, if you are noticing a green discharge from her eyes or nose then this is a sign that there could be a bacterial infection and a vet visit is important. Similarly, if he has a reduced appetite then a vet visit is a good idea.

It is also possible for an older cat to catch parasites from a kitten if he has had contact with the kitten's stool. However, what you are describing doesn't sound like a parasite issue.

Given Smokey's age there are other things that I would be concerned about as well. As cats get older we can see problems such as cancers that are worriesome.

If possible, a vet visit really does sound like a good idea. If your vet suspects an upper respiratory tract virus then they may prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help Smokey to fight this.

I hope he feels better soon!

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7455 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7407 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15564 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11960 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15691 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12758 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12636 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (17773 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (8310 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15869 views)