Vomiting due to virus?

Breed: Not quite sure
Hello Dr.Marie.
Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some problems. First of all I am 15 and i hope that as i get older i wish to be a vet. Now, about a week ago we adopted a new kitten.
The kittens name is junior and when we got him he had worms so me started treating him right away well junior is very playful well smokey has been feeling a little sick. And lately she goes to puke but she eather cant or it is being blocked. I have done a little research and people say it could be somthing with her upper respiratory syatem and that i have to take her to the vet but my mom wont do that unless she gets some liable research or if i can get proof please message back if you have any idea whats wrong with her. I've had her since i was born and i dont feel like loosing her now. Please help.

Thanks for your question! It's nice to hear that you would like to be a vet. It's hard work sometimes, but very rewarding.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Smokey, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It certainly is possible that Smokey has an upper respiratory tract virus. Cats with this type of virus get really congested and can sound like they are coughing or trying to clear their throats. If this is the case, many cats can recover on their own similar to how we would recover from a cold. However, if you are noticing a green discharge from her eyes or nose then this is a sign that there could be a bacterial infection and a vet visit is important. Similarly, if he has a reduced appetite then a vet visit is a good idea.

It is also possible for an older cat to catch parasites from a kitten if he has had contact with the kitten's stool. However, what you are describing doesn't sound like a parasite issue.

Given Smokey's age there are other things that I would be concerned about as well. As cats get older we can see problems such as cancers that are worriesome.

If possible, a vet visit really does sound like a good idea. If your vet suspects an upper respiratory tract virus then they may prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help Smokey to fight this.

I hope he feels better soon!

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6768 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8940 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8217 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6112 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5511 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6589 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39658 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9568 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4253 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7591 views)