Vomiting due to virus?

Breed: Not quite sure
Hello Dr.Marie.
Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some problems. First of all I am 15 and i hope that as i get older i wish to be a vet. Now, about a week ago we adopted a new kitten.
The kittens name is junior and when we got him he had worms so me started treating him right away well junior is very playful well smokey has been feeling a little sick. And lately she goes to puke but she eather cant or it is being blocked. I have done a little research and people say it could be somthing with her upper respiratory syatem and that i have to take her to the vet but my mom wont do that unless she gets some liable research or if i can get proof please message back if you have any idea whats wrong with her. I've had her since i was born and i dont feel like loosing her now. Please help.

Thanks for your question! It's nice to hear that you would like to be a vet. It's hard work sometimes, but very rewarding.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Smokey, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It certainly is possible that Smokey has an upper respiratory tract virus. Cats with this type of virus get really congested and can sound like they are coughing or trying to clear their throats. If this is the case, many cats can recover on their own similar to how we would recover from a cold. However, if you are noticing a green discharge from her eyes or nose then this is a sign that there could be a bacterial infection and a vet visit is important. Similarly, if he has a reduced appetite then a vet visit is a good idea.

It is also possible for an older cat to catch parasites from a kitten if he has had contact with the kitten's stool. However, what you are describing doesn't sound like a parasite issue.

Given Smokey's age there are other things that I would be concerned about as well. As cats get older we can see problems such as cancers that are worriesome.

If possible, a vet visit really does sound like a good idea. If your vet suspects an upper respiratory tract virus then they may prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help Smokey to fight this.

I hope he feels better soon!

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10657 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (9891 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (90028 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6459 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (62854 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (27749 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (36882 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8340 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12041 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19558 views)