Vomiting due to virus?

Breed: Not quite sure
Hello Dr.Marie.
Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some problems. First of all I am 15 and i hope that as i get older i wish to be a vet. Now, about a week ago we adopted a new kitten.
The kittens name is junior and when we got him he had worms so me started treating him right away well junior is very playful well smokey has been feeling a little sick. And lately she goes to puke but she eather cant or it is being blocked. I have done a little research and people say it could be somthing with her upper respiratory syatem and that i have to take her to the vet but my mom wont do that unless she gets some liable research or if i can get proof please message back if you have any idea whats wrong with her. I've had her since i was born and i dont feel like loosing her now. Please help.

Thanks for your question! It's nice to hear that you would like to be a vet. It's hard work sometimes, but very rewarding.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Smokey, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It certainly is possible that Smokey has an upper respiratory tract virus. Cats with this type of virus get really congested and can sound like they are coughing or trying to clear their throats. If this is the case, many cats can recover on their own similar to how we would recover from a cold. However, if you are noticing a green discharge from her eyes or nose then this is a sign that there could be a bacterial infection and a vet visit is important. Similarly, if he has a reduced appetite then a vet visit is a good idea.

It is also possible for an older cat to catch parasites from a kitten if he has had contact with the kitten's stool. However, what you are describing doesn't sound like a parasite issue.

Given Smokey's age there are other things that I would be concerned about as well. As cats get older we can see problems such as cancers that are worriesome.

If possible, a vet visit really does sound like a good idea. If your vet suspects an upper respiratory tract virus then they may prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help Smokey to fight this.

I hope he feels better soon!

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7710 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (66414 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (25806 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (36902 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14721 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10913 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (11397 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8751 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (12928 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (13157 views)