Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5349 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5674 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (33820 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8532 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8393 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38830 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10443 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (13112 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14894 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10901 views)