Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (13907 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14087 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14191 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16349 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19779 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10679 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7246 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6910 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (33204 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9169 views)