Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (18902 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (10007 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20178 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (12010 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15547 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19094 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (10944 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4729 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (9337 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35224 views)