Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (11068 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13543 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9987 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10615 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (32160 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (5411 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (7126 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (42818 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (12540 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8377 views)