Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13187 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5173 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (9734 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (21850 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15455 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19108 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7377 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21530 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12520 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6513 views)