Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (54779 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (41649 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (27016 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (17624 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (25022 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (12221 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (10132 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (15936 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (21934 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (14532 views)