Painful erection for dog.

Breed: Cocker Sapniel
Help Dr Marie,

My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him licking his penis, it seems the head of his penis is outside his foreskin and gets stuck, then swells. The head gets very large and red, he licks it but is not in pain. I have to 'manually' push his penis back into his foreskin and the swelling reduces immediately. He doesn't like the procedure, I can't blame him, neither do I. Is there a reason for this, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

What you are describing is a normal canine erection. These can sometimes last for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest trying to put it back into the prepuce. It's best to let it subside on its own.

Even better, it would be a great idea to have him neutered!

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (78186 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (17329 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (6236 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (10781 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (8733 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (9101 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (15535 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20534 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (5475 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (24698 views)