Gabapentin and Metacam

Breed: domestic short hair
My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it worked for a while but she won't take it anymore. Vet gave Metacam but after two doses she vomited. She is 9 pounds and doseage was 0.2 ml every other day. I stopped using it and am now trying Gabapentin. I think the Metacam might have been to much for her and a lower does may work better. My question is can Metacam and Gabapentin be taken together? Lily is otherwise healthy. All her bloodwork is great, eats well and gets plenty of water. I just want to ease her pain for as long as her quality of life is good. My vet will not prescribe her any other pain medication such as Tramadal which I don't understand why not. Thank you very much!!

Arthritis can be a difficult thing to figure out in cats. As you have found, it can be hard to find medicines that are easy to give and that the cat tolerates.

I usually do find that Metacam is a good option. If your cat is having trouble tolerating it, you could ask your vet may be going every third day instead of every second day would work. Another option is to have them also prescribe a stomach protectant, but then that adds another medicine for you to give.

Yes, Metacam and gabapentin can be given together.

If Cosequin was previously working well for your cat, you could ask your vet about giving something similar by injection. Products like Adequan and Cartrophen are injectable forms of something similar to glucosamine that are given on a monthly basis. Initially though most animals need one injection a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I am not a fan of tramadol for long-term pain relief and cats. It comes in a pill form that is difficult to give to cats. Also, I have seen too many cats have weird reactions to the drug. I don't find it works well for long-term arthritis pain control.

You could also ask your vet about trying a prescription joint diet. These diets have products like Cosequin and others built right into them and cats usually like it.

I hope that helps, and I hope your cat continues to do okay.

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10472 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13010 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (16748 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (43085 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (14242 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6166 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11193 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (6936 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (15298 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (11859 views)