Gabapentin and Metacam

Breed: domestic short hair
My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it worked for a while but she won't take it anymore. Vet gave Metacam but after two doses she vomited. She is 9 pounds and doseage was 0.2 ml every other day. I stopped using it and am now trying Gabapentin. I think the Metacam might have been to much for her and a lower does may work better. My question is can Metacam and Gabapentin be taken together? Lily is otherwise healthy. All her bloodwork is great, eats well and gets plenty of water. I just want to ease her pain for as long as her quality of life is good. My vet will not prescribe her any other pain medication such as Tramadal which I don't understand why not. Thank you very much!!

Arthritis can be a difficult thing to figure out in cats. As you have found, it can be hard to find medicines that are easy to give and that the cat tolerates.

I usually do find that Metacam is a good option. If your cat is having trouble tolerating it, you could ask your vet may be going every third day instead of every second day would work. Another option is to have them also prescribe a stomach protectant, but then that adds another medicine for you to give.

Yes, Metacam and gabapentin can be given together.

If Cosequin was previously working well for your cat, you could ask your vet about giving something similar by injection. Products like Adequan and Cartrophen are injectable forms of something similar to glucosamine that are given on a monthly basis. Initially though most animals need one injection a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I am not a fan of tramadol for long-term pain relief and cats. It comes in a pill form that is difficult to give to cats. Also, I have seen too many cats have weird reactions to the drug. I don't find it works well for long-term arthritis pain control.

You could also ask your vet about trying a prescription joint diet. These diets have products like Cosequin and others built right into them and cats usually like it.

I hope that helps, and I hope your cat continues to do okay.

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (9298 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (19586 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (22761 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (17460 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9766 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (9007 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (8180 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (38644 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (24566 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (11548 views)