Gabapentin and Metacam

Breed: domestic short hair
My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it worked for a while but she won't take it anymore. Vet gave Metacam but after two doses she vomited. She is 9 pounds and doseage was 0.2 ml every other day. I stopped using it and am now trying Gabapentin. I think the Metacam might have been to much for her and a lower does may work better. My question is can Metacam and Gabapentin be taken together? Lily is otherwise healthy. All her bloodwork is great, eats well and gets plenty of water. I just want to ease her pain for as long as her quality of life is good. My vet will not prescribe her any other pain medication such as Tramadal which I don't understand why not. Thank you very much!!

Arthritis can be a difficult thing to figure out in cats. As you have found, it can be hard to find medicines that are easy to give and that the cat tolerates.

I usually do find that Metacam is a good option. If your cat is having trouble tolerating it, you could ask your vet may be going every third day instead of every second day would work. Another option is to have them also prescribe a stomach protectant, but then that adds another medicine for you to give.

Yes, Metacam and gabapentin can be given together.

If Cosequin was previously working well for your cat, you could ask your vet about giving something similar by injection. Products like Adequan and Cartrophen are injectable forms of something similar to glucosamine that are given on a monthly basis. Initially though most animals need one injection a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I am not a fan of tramadol for long-term pain relief and cats. It comes in a pill form that is difficult to give to cats. Also, I have seen too many cats have weird reactions to the drug. I don't find it works well for long-term arthritis pain control.

You could also ask your vet about trying a prescription joint diet. These diets have products like Cosequin and others built right into them and cats usually like it.

I hope that helps, and I hope your cat continues to do okay.

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8733 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14101 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13823 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (18517 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (16870 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (13518 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9527 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8742 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10922 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18406 views)