Gabapentin and Metacam

Breed: domestic short hair
My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it worked for a while but she won't take it anymore. Vet gave Metacam but after two doses she vomited. She is 9 pounds and doseage was 0.2 ml every other day. I stopped using it and am now trying Gabapentin. I think the Metacam might have been to much for her and a lower does may work better. My question is can Metacam and Gabapentin be taken together? Lily is otherwise healthy. All her bloodwork is great, eats well and gets plenty of water. I just want to ease her pain for as long as her quality of life is good. My vet will not prescribe her any other pain medication such as Tramadal which I don't understand why not. Thank you very much!!

Arthritis can be a difficult thing to figure out in cats. As you have found, it can be hard to find medicines that are easy to give and that the cat tolerates.

I usually do find that Metacam is a good option. If your cat is having trouble tolerating it, you could ask your vet may be going every third day instead of every second day would work. Another option is to have them also prescribe a stomach protectant, but then that adds another medicine for you to give.

Yes, Metacam and gabapentin can be given together.

If Cosequin was previously working well for your cat, you could ask your vet about giving something similar by injection. Products like Adequan and Cartrophen are injectable forms of something similar to glucosamine that are given on a monthly basis. Initially though most animals need one injection a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I am not a fan of tramadol for long-term pain relief and cats. It comes in a pill form that is difficult to give to cats. Also, I have seen too many cats have weird reactions to the drug. I don't find it works well for long-term arthritis pain control.

You could also ask your vet about trying a prescription joint diet. These diets have products like Cosequin and others built right into them and cats usually like it.

I hope that helps, and I hope your cat continues to do okay.

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (32217 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11285 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17299 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (10518 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6838 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6115 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5659 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6415 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (115064 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (18084 views)