Large scab on cat's neck

Breed: Celico/Persian
Dear Dr. Marie,

My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly about .5cm thick throughout, the base of the "L" is 2cm wide and the vertical part of the "L" is 4cm in length, and it has hair growing out of it, she doesn't really act different or have any other problems but is obviously irritated by it. The scab is on her back right in between her shoulders so i do not think it was self inflicted. I hope you can help me out with what it is and what I can do about it?. Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry to hear that Mykal is having a problem.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your cat.

There are a few things that could cause a large scab like that.

Does she go outside? It may be that this is the result of a fight wound or abscess. If so, she may need antibiotics in order to get better.

Has she had any topical flea medication put on recently? Although it is not common, some cats can have a reaction to topical medicines. If so, it may get better on its own, but if it's not improving after a week or so then a vet visit is a good idea.

Another possibility is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't really know what causes these but it is believed to be due to an allergy of some sort. Most of the time an eosinophilic plaque needs a steroid injection in order to be cleared up.

If it is not getting better by now it's probably a good idea to have your vet check her out. I hope everything is ok!

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48677 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22503 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4969 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (33424 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9129 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26916 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12370 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8646 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10593 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (20126 views)