Large scab on cat's neck

Breed: Celico/Persian
Dear Dr. Marie,

My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly about .5cm thick throughout, the base of the "L" is 2cm wide and the vertical part of the "L" is 4cm in length, and it has hair growing out of it, she doesn't really act different or have any other problems but is obviously irritated by it. The scab is on her back right in between her shoulders so i do not think it was self inflicted. I hope you can help me out with what it is and what I can do about it?. Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry to hear that Mykal is having a problem.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your cat.

There are a few things that could cause a large scab like that.

Does she go outside? It may be that this is the result of a fight wound or abscess. If so, she may need antibiotics in order to get better.

Has she had any topical flea medication put on recently? Although it is not common, some cats can have a reaction to topical medicines. If so, it may get better on its own, but if it's not improving after a week or so then a vet visit is a good idea.

Another possibility is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't really know what causes these but it is believed to be due to an allergy of some sort. Most of the time an eosinophilic plaque needs a steroid injection in order to be cleared up.

If it is not getting better by now it's probably a good idea to have your vet check her out. I hope everything is ok!

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (32148 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (26960 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (22414 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (10058 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (15612 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (10848 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (8899 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (124863 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (8067 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (7991 views)