Large scab on cat's neck

Breed: Celico/Persian
Dear Dr. Marie,

My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly about .5cm thick throughout, the base of the "L" is 2cm wide and the vertical part of the "L" is 4cm in length, and it has hair growing out of it, she doesn't really act different or have any other problems but is obviously irritated by it. The scab is on her back right in between her shoulders so i do not think it was self inflicted. I hope you can help me out with what it is and what I can do about it?. Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry to hear that Mykal is having a problem.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine your cat.

There are a few things that could cause a large scab like that.

Does she go outside? It may be that this is the result of a fight wound or abscess. If so, she may need antibiotics in order to get better.

Has she had any topical flea medication put on recently? Although it is not common, some cats can have a reaction to topical medicines. If so, it may get better on its own, but if it's not improving after a week or so then a vet visit is a good idea.

Another possibility is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't really know what causes these but it is believed to be due to an allergy of some sort. Most of the time an eosinophilic plaque needs a steroid injection in order to be cleared up.

If it is not getting better by now it's probably a good idea to have your vet check her out. I hope everything is ok!

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (13369 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (13539 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (11636 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (13827 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (10539 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (13263 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (11934 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (14490 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (7993 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (7362 views)