Boxer with kennel cough.

Breed: Boxer
I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with doxycycline. She is still coughing but I have only treated her for 2 days.
My question is: She is breathing rapidly and panting alot. She doesn't want to drink water. I checked her temperature and it is 101.8. Should I be concerned?

Sorry to hear that Shelby has kennel cough! We've been seeing a lot of this lately and it can be very frustrating!

Kennel cough is a virus and it will take a few days (sometimes a few weeks) for a dog to clear it. The doxycycline that was prescribed is mostly to prevent against a bacterial infection that is secondary to the virus. But, the doxycycline won't directly stop the coughing.

Her temperature is normal, so this is good. How is her appetite? Is she eating ok?

It's a little unusual for a dog to not want to drink because of kennel cough. You may want to experiment with offering her water that is warmed a little, or even really cold water, or trying water in different types of containers to see if that will encourage her to drink. However, if she is eating then I'm not too concerned about her not eating. If she is not eating at all then it may be a good idea to have her checked out again.

It's hard to talk about her breathing without actually seeing her. If she is panting a little bit more than usual then this is not a big concern. But if she is really having breathing issues this could be a sign that there is something more serious going on. If you think she is really uncomfortable with her breathing it may be a good idea to have her checked out and possibly xrayed.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply. Shelby came to me with numerous problems such as dehydration, very skinny body, and the kennel cough. I had to rescue her though. She is such a sweet loving dog.
She is eating a little bit. I am feeding her puppy food at the moment to try to get some weight on her body. You can see her ribs through her skin. She is drinking a little bit more today. She had a terrible night last night though, coughing all night long.
I am giving her a little Children's RObitussin for her cough. I was told that it might help calm it some.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jennifer McNulty

Oh, poor girl.

I don't usually recommend human cough medicine for dogs - mostly because we don't know what kind of effects the medicine can have on dogs. Most likely it won't hurt though.

I usually like to prescribe a medication called hycodan which is really good at helping stop coughing. It may be worthwhile calling your vet to see if they can prescribe some for you.

One other thought...do we know for sure that this is kennel cough? Boxers can be prone to heart problems which could account for coughing and weight loss. It may be a good idea to have some xrays done.

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (22792 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10324 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17181 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11035 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4485 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5235 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17248 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (24411 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (20236 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8379 views)