Boxer with kennel cough.

Breed: Boxer
I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with doxycycline. She is still coughing but I have only treated her for 2 days.
My question is: She is breathing rapidly and panting alot. She doesn't want to drink water. I checked her temperature and it is 101.8. Should I be concerned?

Sorry to hear that Shelby has kennel cough! We've been seeing a lot of this lately and it can be very frustrating!

Kennel cough is a virus and it will take a few days (sometimes a few weeks) for a dog to clear it. The doxycycline that was prescribed is mostly to prevent against a bacterial infection that is secondary to the virus. But, the doxycycline won't directly stop the coughing.

Her temperature is normal, so this is good. How is her appetite? Is she eating ok?

It's a little unusual for a dog to not want to drink because of kennel cough. You may want to experiment with offering her water that is warmed a little, or even really cold water, or trying water in different types of containers to see if that will encourage her to drink. However, if she is eating then I'm not too concerned about her not eating. If she is not eating at all then it may be a good idea to have her checked out again.

It's hard to talk about her breathing without actually seeing her. If she is panting a little bit more than usual then this is not a big concern. But if she is really having breathing issues this could be a sign that there is something more serious going on. If you think she is really uncomfortable with her breathing it may be a good idea to have her checked out and possibly xrayed.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply. Shelby came to me with numerous problems such as dehydration, very skinny body, and the kennel cough. I had to rescue her though. She is such a sweet loving dog.
She is eating a little bit. I am feeding her puppy food at the moment to try to get some weight on her body. You can see her ribs through her skin. She is drinking a little bit more today. She had a terrible night last night though, coughing all night long.
I am giving her a little Children's RObitussin for her cough. I was told that it might help calm it some.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jennifer McNulty

Oh, poor girl.

I don't usually recommend human cough medicine for dogs - mostly because we don't know what kind of effects the medicine can have on dogs. Most likely it won't hurt though.

I usually like to prescribe a medication called hycodan which is really good at helping stop coughing. It may be worthwhile calling your vet to see if they can prescribe some for you.

One other thought...do we know for sure that this is kennel cough? Boxers can be prone to heart problems which could account for coughing and weight loss. It may be a good idea to have some xrays done.

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (12154 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14772 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (5292 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (8055 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10712 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (10037 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (11165 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (8584 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (24662 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5530 views)