Boxer with kennel cough.

Breed: Boxer
I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with doxycycline. She is still coughing but I have only treated her for 2 days.
My question is: She is breathing rapidly and panting alot. She doesn't want to drink water. I checked her temperature and it is 101.8. Should I be concerned?

Sorry to hear that Shelby has kennel cough! We've been seeing a lot of this lately and it can be very frustrating!

Kennel cough is a virus and it will take a few days (sometimes a few weeks) for a dog to clear it. The doxycycline that was prescribed is mostly to prevent against a bacterial infection that is secondary to the virus. But, the doxycycline won't directly stop the coughing.

Her temperature is normal, so this is good. How is her appetite? Is she eating ok?

It's a little unusual for a dog to not want to drink because of kennel cough. You may want to experiment with offering her water that is warmed a little, or even really cold water, or trying water in different types of containers to see if that will encourage her to drink. However, if she is eating then I'm not too concerned about her not eating. If she is not eating at all then it may be a good idea to have her checked out again.

It's hard to talk about her breathing without actually seeing her. If she is panting a little bit more than usual then this is not a big concern. But if she is really having breathing issues this could be a sign that there is something more serious going on. If you think she is really uncomfortable with her breathing it may be a good idea to have her checked out and possibly xrayed.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply. Shelby came to me with numerous problems such as dehydration, very skinny body, and the kennel cough. I had to rescue her though. She is such a sweet loving dog.
She is eating a little bit. I am feeding her puppy food at the moment to try to get some weight on her body. You can see her ribs through her skin. She is drinking a little bit more today. She had a terrible night last night though, coughing all night long.
I am giving her a little Children's RObitussin for her cough. I was told that it might help calm it some.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jennifer McNulty

Oh, poor girl.

I don't usually recommend human cough medicine for dogs - mostly because we don't know what kind of effects the medicine can have on dogs. Most likely it won't hurt though.

I usually like to prescribe a medication called hycodan which is really good at helping stop coughing. It may be worthwhile calling your vet to see if they can prescribe some for you.

One other thought...do we know for sure that this is kennel cough? Boxers can be prone to heart problems which could account for coughing and weight loss. It may be a good idea to have some xrays done.

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (11279 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (11734 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (17002 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (11254 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5844 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (16483 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (11156 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (16287 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (8117 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (30220 views)