Boxer with kennel cough.

Breed: Boxer
I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with doxycycline. She is still coughing but I have only treated her for 2 days.
My question is: She is breathing rapidly and panting alot. She doesn't want to drink water. I checked her temperature and it is 101.8. Should I be concerned?

Sorry to hear that Shelby has kennel cough! We've been seeing a lot of this lately and it can be very frustrating!

Kennel cough is a virus and it will take a few days (sometimes a few weeks) for a dog to clear it. The doxycycline that was prescribed is mostly to prevent against a bacterial infection that is secondary to the virus. But, the doxycycline won't directly stop the coughing.

Her temperature is normal, so this is good. How is her appetite? Is she eating ok?

It's a little unusual for a dog to not want to drink because of kennel cough. You may want to experiment with offering her water that is warmed a little, or even really cold water, or trying water in different types of containers to see if that will encourage her to drink. However, if she is eating then I'm not too concerned about her not eating. If she is not eating at all then it may be a good idea to have her checked out again.

It's hard to talk about her breathing without actually seeing her. If she is panting a little bit more than usual then this is not a big concern. But if she is really having breathing issues this could be a sign that there is something more serious going on. If you think she is really uncomfortable with her breathing it may be a good idea to have her checked out and possibly xrayed.

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply. Shelby came to me with numerous problems such as dehydration, very skinny body, and the kennel cough. I had to rescue her though. She is such a sweet loving dog.
She is eating a little bit. I am feeding her puppy food at the moment to try to get some weight on her body. You can see her ribs through her skin. She is drinking a little bit more today. She had a terrible night last night though, coughing all night long.
I am giving her a little Children's RObitussin for her cough. I was told that it might help calm it some.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jennifer McNulty

Oh, poor girl.

I don't usually recommend human cough medicine for dogs - mostly because we don't know what kind of effects the medicine can have on dogs. Most likely it won't hurt though.

I usually like to prescribe a medication called hycodan which is really good at helping stop coughing. It may be worthwhile calling your vet to see if they can prescribe some for you.

One other thought...do we know for sure that this is kennel cough? Boxers can be prone to heart problems which could account for coughing and weight loss. It may be a good idea to have some xrays done.

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9214 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4115 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (10996 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20099 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12629 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10123 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (14515 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13883 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5133 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (15546 views)