Did kitten have heatstroke.

Breed: very young feral kit
the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke, but unfortunately it died. what could i have done better -- if anything?

when i first saw it, it was dragging itself across a sun beaten sidewalk (no shade in sight of where it was). i picked it up and tried to give it some water. it tried to drink, but not much luck there. i then got it into my air conditioned car to take it to a vet's office (which was less than a 10-minute drive). in the coolness of the car, it seemed to get a little better as it started moving more and fighting to get out my grasp (it was feral, remember). but then it seemed to have some sort of seizure. in the few minutes it took to get to the vet's office, it had gone limp, and i suspect died (or very close to it). the vet took it to the back exam room and in the course of me washing my hands, she came out and told me that the kitten didn't make it.

nyc is going through a bit of heat wave, and in case i ever see this again, what, if anything could i have done better? even though i did the best i could under the circumstances, and the odds are nothing could have been done as i don't know how long the kitten was out in the full sun and heat, i'm a little haunted, wondering if i could have done more.

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened. Thank you for trying to rescue this little one.

I am wondering if there was something more than just heat stroke going on with this cat. Dont' get me wrong - heat stroke is very serious. However, cats are usually quite good at finding the coolest place possible and not being too active. I don't believe I have ever seen a cat in for heat stroke. It is usually dogs who have been left in the car or taken out for long walks on a hot day.

There is a good chance that this kitten had something else such as a virus, severe parasites or a serious infection.

The seizure doesn't tell us much. Often animals will have a seizure just before they die.

It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could to help this little one. I don't think anyone could have saved him or her.

Rest assured you did a good thing and this was in no way your fault!

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13028 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11647 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (30731 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (35133 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (49410 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8395 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5042 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21667 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8264 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50445 views)