Did kitten have heatstroke.

Breed: very young feral kit
the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke, but unfortunately it died. what could i have done better -- if anything?

when i first saw it, it was dragging itself across a sun beaten sidewalk (no shade in sight of where it was). i picked it up and tried to give it some water. it tried to drink, but not much luck there. i then got it into my air conditioned car to take it to a vet's office (which was less than a 10-minute drive). in the coolness of the car, it seemed to get a little better as it started moving more and fighting to get out my grasp (it was feral, remember). but then it seemed to have some sort of seizure. in the few minutes it took to get to the vet's office, it had gone limp, and i suspect died (or very close to it). the vet took it to the back exam room and in the course of me washing my hands, she came out and told me that the kitten didn't make it.

nyc is going through a bit of heat wave, and in case i ever see this again, what, if anything could i have done better? even though i did the best i could under the circumstances, and the odds are nothing could have been done as i don't know how long the kitten was out in the full sun and heat, i'm a little haunted, wondering if i could have done more.

Oh, I am so sorry that this happened. Thank you for trying to rescue this little one.

I am wondering if there was something more than just heat stroke going on with this cat. Dont' get me wrong - heat stroke is very serious. However, cats are usually quite good at finding the coolest place possible and not being too active. I don't believe I have ever seen a cat in for heat stroke. It is usually dogs who have been left in the car or taken out for long walks on a hot day.

There is a good chance that this kitten had something else such as a virus, severe parasites or a serious infection.

The seizure doesn't tell us much. Often animals will have a seizure just before they die.

It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could to help this little one. I don't think anyone could have saved him or her.

Rest assured you did a good thing and this was in no way your fault!

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13332 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5191 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9796 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22290 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89668 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25717 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10568 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7961 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (17524 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7848 views)