Seizure and diarrhea.

Breed: Chocolate lab
Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had her eyes open. She then pooped all over the house. Some of it was diarrhea. Then later when i came home from work she had diarrhea again and had some blood in it and on her bum. What is causing this?

Sorry to hear that Ginger is having seizures. Seizures can be quite unpleasant to watch.

In many cases we don't know why a dog has a seizure. If she has any more in the next few days then we may need to consider the possibility of her eating a toxin that has affected her liver or kidney. If you think she is not right then have your vet do some bloodwork on her.

Another possibility in a dog of this age is epilepsy. Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy. I have noticed that epilepsy seems to be more common in some lines of labs.

The diarrhea may be from stress. It is hard to say if the seizure caused stress which caused the diarrhea or if the diarrhea caused stress which caused the seizure. I am thinking the first is most likely. It is quite common for a dog to have blood in the stool due to stress. I don't get too worried about blood in diarrhea as long as the dog is feeling relatively ok.

If Ginger seems to be bright and alert and eating ok you may want to consider a period of 24 hours without food followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This will help her intestines deal with the diarrhea.

If she is not doing well, or if she is having more seizures then a vet visit is necessary.

Mark down the date of the seizure. Keep track of whether she has any more. Many dogs with epilepsy will have a seizure once every few months. If this is the case we really don't do anything. But, if she has a seizure several times a month then your vet will talk to you about anti-seizure medication.

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (16084 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (26421 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (55178 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4784 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11502 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11415 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32629 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17660 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5716 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7267 views)