Seizure and diarrhea.

Breed: Chocolate lab
Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had her eyes open. She then pooped all over the house. Some of it was diarrhea. Then later when i came home from work she had diarrhea again and had some blood in it and on her bum. What is causing this?

Sorry to hear that Ginger is having seizures. Seizures can be quite unpleasant to watch.

In many cases we don't know why a dog has a seizure. If she has any more in the next few days then we may need to consider the possibility of her eating a toxin that has affected her liver or kidney. If you think she is not right then have your vet do some bloodwork on her.

Another possibility in a dog of this age is epilepsy. Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy. I have noticed that epilepsy seems to be more common in some lines of labs.

The diarrhea may be from stress. It is hard to say if the seizure caused stress which caused the diarrhea or if the diarrhea caused stress which caused the seizure. I am thinking the first is most likely. It is quite common for a dog to have blood in the stool due to stress. I don't get too worried about blood in diarrhea as long as the dog is feeling relatively ok.

If Ginger seems to be bright and alert and eating ok you may want to consider a period of 24 hours without food followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This will help her intestines deal with the diarrhea.

If she is not doing well, or if she is having more seizures then a vet visit is necessary.

Mark down the date of the seizure. Keep track of whether she has any more. Many dogs with epilepsy will have a seizure once every few months. If this is the case we really don't do anything. But, if she has a seizure several times a month then your vet will talk to you about anti-seizure medication.

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16876 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7984 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (17100 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6547 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21929 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13280 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7681 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15189 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20131 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20332 views)