Seizure and diarrhea.

Breed: Chocolate lab
Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had her eyes open. She then pooped all over the house. Some of it was diarrhea. Then later when i came home from work she had diarrhea again and had some blood in it and on her bum. What is causing this?

Sorry to hear that Ginger is having seizures. Seizures can be quite unpleasant to watch.

In many cases we don't know why a dog has a seizure. If she has any more in the next few days then we may need to consider the possibility of her eating a toxin that has affected her liver or kidney. If you think she is not right then have your vet do some bloodwork on her.

Another possibility in a dog of this age is epilepsy. Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy. I have noticed that epilepsy seems to be more common in some lines of labs.

The diarrhea may be from stress. It is hard to say if the seizure caused stress which caused the diarrhea or if the diarrhea caused stress which caused the seizure. I am thinking the first is most likely. It is quite common for a dog to have blood in the stool due to stress. I don't get too worried about blood in diarrhea as long as the dog is feeling relatively ok.

If Ginger seems to be bright and alert and eating ok you may want to consider a period of 24 hours without food followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This will help her intestines deal with the diarrhea.

If she is not doing well, or if she is having more seizures then a vet visit is necessary.

Mark down the date of the seizure. Keep track of whether she has any more. Many dogs with epilepsy will have a seizure once every few months. If this is the case we really don't do anything. But, if she has a seizure several times a month then your vet will talk to you about anti-seizure medication.

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (11264 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (38670 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (16448 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (37509 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (13055 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (7955 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (6707 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (6301 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (266701 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (17678 views)