Seizure and diarrhea.

Breed: Chocolate lab
Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had her eyes open. She then pooped all over the house. Some of it was diarrhea. Then later when i came home from work she had diarrhea again and had some blood in it and on her bum. What is causing this?

Sorry to hear that Ginger is having seizures. Seizures can be quite unpleasant to watch.

In many cases we don't know why a dog has a seizure. If she has any more in the next few days then we may need to consider the possibility of her eating a toxin that has affected her liver or kidney. If you think she is not right then have your vet do some bloodwork on her.

Another possibility in a dog of this age is epilepsy. Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy. I have noticed that epilepsy seems to be more common in some lines of labs.

The diarrhea may be from stress. It is hard to say if the seizure caused stress which caused the diarrhea or if the diarrhea caused stress which caused the seizure. I am thinking the first is most likely. It is quite common for a dog to have blood in the stool due to stress. I don't get too worried about blood in diarrhea as long as the dog is feeling relatively ok.

If Ginger seems to be bright and alert and eating ok you may want to consider a period of 24 hours without food followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This will help her intestines deal with the diarrhea.

If she is not doing well, or if she is having more seizures then a vet visit is necessary.

Mark down the date of the seizure. Keep track of whether she has any more. Many dogs with epilepsy will have a seizure once every few months. If this is the case we really don't do anything. But, if she has a seizure several times a month then your vet will talk to you about anti-seizure medication.

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (19638 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9194 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8119 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17303 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (151566 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10315 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (7863 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12287 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12452 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10188 views)