Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (10112 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (7298 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (7515 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (6650 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (15442 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (41357 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (8291 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (8313 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (6159 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (3677 views)