Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (4472 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (4375 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (12637 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (13976 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (4426 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (15933 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (22312 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4479 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10360 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (10160 views)