Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (6672 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (5080 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (20237 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (7803 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (19887 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (3109 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (31209 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (11972 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (3974 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (18486 views)