Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (3735 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14299 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (33668 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (8940 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (46915 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (6964 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7250 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (8717 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (6923 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (94721 views)