Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (27087 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (6297 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (20473 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (3437 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (7099 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (54138 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (11633 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (13431 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (9386 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (3508 views)