Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8576 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (10735 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (11912 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (30717 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (10544 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (665816 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5275 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (6775 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (15568 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (3857 views)