Is coconut oil good for dogs?

Breed: Border collie

I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my dog and cat? I've heard it's healthy for them but I wanted an expert's opinion.

If it is healthy, how much should I give?

Julie

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Hi and thanks for your question. Coconut oil is safe for dogs to eat, although, I don't know that anyone knows how much would be safe. Just like any other oil, if too much is given it probably could cause some stomach upset.

Is coconut oil beneficial for dogs? That's tough to say as well! Some people try to use coconut oil as a fatty acid supplement. However, coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids which means that it is not a good substitute for omega fatty acids.

Coconut oil can possibly be an energy source for exercising dogs and also, may be beneficial to prevent aging changes in the brain, but no one has proof of this.

In summary, it won't hurt to give small amounts of coconut oil mixed in with your dog's food. It *may* have some benefits but we don't know that for sure.

Hope that helps.

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (20563 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (6254 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (29994 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (6388 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (7872 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (10290 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (3990 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (3978 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (11167 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (54846 views)