Puppy doesn't want to eat.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches her meals and doesn't show any enthusiasm when I give her treats. She is also pooping very little and has bad breath. I have been giving her a herbal digestive syrup recommended by her vet but it doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Oh dear, it sounds like Spookie is really not doing well.

I always get concerned when a young dog does not want to eat. It almost always is a sign of a medical problem.

There are a number of things that could cause a puppy to not want to eat:

• Parvo virus - This would be most common in an unvaccinated puppy. The period of not eating and lethargy would soon be followed by diarrhea and vomiting.

• Ingestion of a foreign object - although usually we would see vomiting.

• Pain of some sort - Is there any chance she was in an accident?

• Ingestion of something toxic to her kidneys. This could cause the bad breath as well.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration, so if a pup is not eating for more than 24-48 hours then I always recommend blood tests and possible IV fluids if your vet feels she is dehydrated.

I really hope she is ok!

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (7043 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (14097 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (15750 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (20554 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (6472 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13749 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6135 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (6258 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (9726 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (3735 views)