Puppy doesn't want to eat.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches her meals and doesn't show any enthusiasm when I give her treats. She is also pooping very little and has bad breath. I have been giving her a herbal digestive syrup recommended by her vet but it doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Oh dear, it sounds like Spookie is really not doing well.

I always get concerned when a young dog does not want to eat. It almost always is a sign of a medical problem.

There are a number of things that could cause a puppy to not want to eat:

• Parvo virus - This would be most common in an unvaccinated puppy. The period of not eating and lethargy would soon be followed by diarrhea and vomiting.

• Ingestion of a foreign object - although usually we would see vomiting.

• Pain of some sort - Is there any chance she was in an accident?

• Ingestion of something toxic to her kidneys. This could cause the bad breath as well.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration, so if a pup is not eating for more than 24-48 hours then I always recommend blood tests and possible IV fluids if your vet feels she is dehydrated.

I really hope she is ok!

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17750 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6670 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12755 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45441 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22558 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11899 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (43864 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13344 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (98585 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7603 views)