Puppy doesn't want to eat.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches her meals and doesn't show any enthusiasm when I give her treats. She is also pooping very little and has bad breath. I have been giving her a herbal digestive syrup recommended by her vet but it doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Oh dear, it sounds like Spookie is really not doing well.

I always get concerned when a young dog does not want to eat. It almost always is a sign of a medical problem.

There are a number of things that could cause a puppy to not want to eat:

• Parvo virus - This would be most common in an unvaccinated puppy. The period of not eating and lethargy would soon be followed by diarrhea and vomiting.

• Ingestion of a foreign object - although usually we would see vomiting.

• Pain of some sort - Is there any chance she was in an accident?

• Ingestion of something toxic to her kidneys. This could cause the bad breath as well.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration, so if a pup is not eating for more than 24-48 hours then I always recommend blood tests and possible IV fluids if your vet feels she is dehydrated.

I really hope she is ok!

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5219 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (23216 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (38601 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (7259 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (23012 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (10437 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (9787 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (7520 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (27512 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (9448 views)