Puppy doesn't want to eat.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches her meals and doesn't show any enthusiasm when I give her treats. She is also pooping very little and has bad breath. I have been giving her a herbal digestive syrup recommended by her vet but it doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Oh dear, it sounds like Spookie is really not doing well.

I always get concerned when a young dog does not want to eat. It almost always is a sign of a medical problem.

There are a number of things that could cause a puppy to not want to eat:

• Parvo virus - This would be most common in an unvaccinated puppy. The period of not eating and lethargy would soon be followed by diarrhea and vomiting.

• Ingestion of a foreign object - although usually we would see vomiting.

• Pain of some sort - Is there any chance she was in an accident?

• Ingestion of something toxic to her kidneys. This could cause the bad breath as well.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration, so if a pup is not eating for more than 24-48 hours then I always recommend blood tests and possible IV fluids if your vet feels she is dehydrated.

I really hope she is ok!

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13028 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (7907 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8370 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (16666 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (41153 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (19490 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (30277 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (12424 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (15072 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (6826 views)