Puppy doesn't want to eat.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches her meals and doesn't show any enthusiasm when I give her treats. She is also pooping very little and has bad breath. I have been giving her a herbal digestive syrup recommended by her vet but it doesn't seem to help. What should I do?

Oh dear, it sounds like Spookie is really not doing well.

I always get concerned when a young dog does not want to eat. It almost always is a sign of a medical problem.

There are a number of things that could cause a puppy to not want to eat:

• Parvo virus - This would be most common in an unvaccinated puppy. The period of not eating and lethargy would soon be followed by diarrhea and vomiting.

• Ingestion of a foreign object - although usually we would see vomiting.

• Pain of some sort - Is there any chance she was in an accident?

• Ingestion of something toxic to her kidneys. This could cause the bad breath as well.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration, so if a pup is not eating for more than 24-48 hours then I always recommend blood tests and possible IV fluids if your vet feels she is dehydrated.

I really hope she is ok!

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7238 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11540 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (17443 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4609 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23828 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (39308 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29330 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11618 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11731 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (24461 views)