Tooth infection.

Breed: pomerian
i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right now they have his face swollen and i drive a truck and cant get to a vet is there anything i can put on them or give him to help with the pain for him

Oh, the poor little guy. This is a tough question to answer because the only thing that is going to solve this problem for Kito is to have any infected teeth removed under a general anesthetic.

If you are able to get to an emergency vet at all this weekend, having some antibiotics prescribed will help temporarily (possibly for a couple of weeks.) Unfortunately there is nothing that you can get over the counter that is going to do the job.

You could possibly give a single dose of baby aspirin. For a pomeranian half of an 80mg aspirin can give some relief. But it is only going to work for 8-12 hours and it's not something I would recommend giving multiple doses of because it can cause stomach and bleeding issues.

A cold cloth held to the area may help relieve some swelling if Kito allows it.

I wish I could give you better advice! The sooner you can have Kito seen by a vet the better though. I hope he feels better soon.

Thank you very much they said they need to take the bad teeth out but was affraid to put him to sleep because he has seizures some times and they dont know what causes them

This is a tough call. If the dog is in pain from dental infections, then it is really not fair to have him survive like this. In most cases, there is no medical treatment (i.e. avoiding surgery) that can solve a serious dental issue.

If this were my case I would likely administer anesthetic drugs that are not known to contribute to seizures and I would monitor him well during the anesthesia. It really does seem like the best option to me.

btw...I'm very sorry it took me so long to reply. For some reason my notification email didn't come through till now!

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (50897 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (11308 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (16189 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (13670 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (16271 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (34313 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (9227 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (6270 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9163 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (9725 views)