Tooth infection.

Breed: pomerian
i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right now they have his face swollen and i drive a truck and cant get to a vet is there anything i can put on them or give him to help with the pain for him

Oh, the poor little guy. This is a tough question to answer because the only thing that is going to solve this problem for Kito is to have any infected teeth removed under a general anesthetic.

If you are able to get to an emergency vet at all this weekend, having some antibiotics prescribed will help temporarily (possibly for a couple of weeks.) Unfortunately there is nothing that you can get over the counter that is going to do the job.

You could possibly give a single dose of baby aspirin. For a pomeranian half of an 80mg aspirin can give some relief. But it is only going to work for 8-12 hours and it's not something I would recommend giving multiple doses of because it can cause stomach and bleeding issues.

A cold cloth held to the area may help relieve some swelling if Kito allows it.

I wish I could give you better advice! The sooner you can have Kito seen by a vet the better though. I hope he feels better soon.

Thank you very much they said they need to take the bad teeth out but was affraid to put him to sleep because he has seizures some times and they dont know what causes them

This is a tough call. If the dog is in pain from dental infections, then it is really not fair to have him survive like this. In most cases, there is no medical treatment (i.e. avoiding surgery) that can solve a serious dental issue.

If this were my case I would likely administer anesthetic drugs that are not known to contribute to seizures and I would monitor him well during the anesthesia. It really does seem like the best option to me.

btw...I'm very sorry it took me so long to reply. For some reason my notification email didn't come through till now!

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22615 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (10721 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (12143 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (17183 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (7699 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (8828 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (6946 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (29222 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (7487 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (18688 views)