Limping kitten

Breed: Tabby Cat
my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is hurting him a lot and ive checked his temperture and its 38.9. I live in a town where there is no vet and the closest vet is four hours away we plan to take him there in the next few days if there is no change in his condition, but i have to wait until my car is fixed. what could be wrong with him and what is your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that Hurricane is having problems.

I don't like it when a kitten is losing weight. This may be a sign that something serious is going on.

Limping could be caused by an infection somewhere in the leg. Is it possible that he has been bitten by another kitten or cat? However, usually if there is an infection he will have a fever. 38.9 is a very normal temperature for a cat.

It is also possible that he has injured himself. Even indoor kittens can fall and break a leg or fracture a hip. This shouldn't cause weight loss but if it has been like this for a while the pain could cause him to not want to eat.

Does Hurricane have any upper respiratory symptoms such as runny eyes or sneezing? I'd like you to look inside of his mouth and see if you can see any ulcers or lesions on his tongue at all. Some cats can get a virus called calicivirus which can cause these symptoms. Calcivirus can sometimes cause something called "limping kitten syndrome". If this is the case, the limp usually is better within a week or so.

If he is not improved by now a vet visit is unfortunately necessary. I hope he does ok!

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10151 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5417 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9757 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5465 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4761 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7468 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (19600 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6290 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20231 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9138 views)