Limping kitten

Breed: Tabby Cat
my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is hurting him a lot and ive checked his temperture and its 38.9. I live in a town where there is no vet and the closest vet is four hours away we plan to take him there in the next few days if there is no change in his condition, but i have to wait until my car is fixed. what could be wrong with him and what is your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that Hurricane is having problems.

I don't like it when a kitten is losing weight. This may be a sign that something serious is going on.

Limping could be caused by an infection somewhere in the leg. Is it possible that he has been bitten by another kitten or cat? However, usually if there is an infection he will have a fever. 38.9 is a very normal temperature for a cat.

It is also possible that he has injured himself. Even indoor kittens can fall and break a leg or fracture a hip. This shouldn't cause weight loss but if it has been like this for a while the pain could cause him to not want to eat.

Does Hurricane have any upper respiratory symptoms such as runny eyes or sneezing? I'd like you to look inside of his mouth and see if you can see any ulcers or lesions on his tongue at all. Some cats can get a virus called calicivirus which can cause these symptoms. Calcivirus can sometimes cause something called "limping kitten syndrome". If this is the case, the limp usually is better within a week or so.

If he is not improved by now a vet visit is unfortunately necessary. I hope he does ok!

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12104 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (18025 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (9222 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (8476 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (14781 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6997 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47711 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (101109 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11819 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (27171 views)