Limping kitten

Breed: Tabby Cat
my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is hurting him a lot and ive checked his temperture and its 38.9. I live in a town where there is no vet and the closest vet is four hours away we plan to take him there in the next few days if there is no change in his condition, but i have to wait until my car is fixed. what could be wrong with him and what is your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that Hurricane is having problems.

I don't like it when a kitten is losing weight. This may be a sign that something serious is going on.

Limping could be caused by an infection somewhere in the leg. Is it possible that he has been bitten by another kitten or cat? However, usually if there is an infection he will have a fever. 38.9 is a very normal temperature for a cat.

It is also possible that he has injured himself. Even indoor kittens can fall and break a leg or fracture a hip. This shouldn't cause weight loss but if it has been like this for a while the pain could cause him to not want to eat.

Does Hurricane have any upper respiratory symptoms such as runny eyes or sneezing? I'd like you to look inside of his mouth and see if you can see any ulcers or lesions on his tongue at all. Some cats can get a virus called calicivirus which can cause these symptoms. Calcivirus can sometimes cause something called "limping kitten syndrome". If this is the case, the limp usually is better within a week or so.

If he is not improved by now a vet visit is unfortunately necessary. I hope he does ok!

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12240 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8394 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13191 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5080 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (19598 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31836 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9985 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (76436 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7977 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8993 views)