Limping kitten

Breed: Tabby Cat
my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is hurting him a lot and ive checked his temperture and its 38.9. I live in a town where there is no vet and the closest vet is four hours away we plan to take him there in the next few days if there is no change in his condition, but i have to wait until my car is fixed. what could be wrong with him and what is your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that Hurricane is having problems.

I don't like it when a kitten is losing weight. This may be a sign that something serious is going on.

Limping could be caused by an infection somewhere in the leg. Is it possible that he has been bitten by another kitten or cat? However, usually if there is an infection he will have a fever. 38.9 is a very normal temperature for a cat.

It is also possible that he has injured himself. Even indoor kittens can fall and break a leg or fracture a hip. This shouldn't cause weight loss but if it has been like this for a while the pain could cause him to not want to eat.

Does Hurricane have any upper respiratory symptoms such as runny eyes or sneezing? I'd like you to look inside of his mouth and see if you can see any ulcers or lesions on his tongue at all. Some cats can get a virus called calicivirus which can cause these symptoms. Calcivirus can sometimes cause something called "limping kitten syndrome". If this is the case, the limp usually is better within a week or so.

If he is not improved by now a vet visit is unfortunately necessary. I hope he does ok!

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9250 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (44182 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (7152 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (15897 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11044 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12529 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (20718 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12291 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9602 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9171 views)