Dog doesn't drink much and burps.

Breed: Boxer Mix
We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good health. However, she doesn't seem to drink much water. She weights 42lbs some days she drinks as little as 1.5cups of water but other days she can drink around 2.5cups. Whenever she drinks she almost always burps and can spit up a small amount of water at times. I have been measuring her water ever since I noticed her water intake seemed less than normal. I also give her water in her food when I notice her water intake has been low for a day. He gets 1cup of food 2x a day so I can usually get 1c of water mixed in with her food. However I also need to feed her in smaller amounts because she burps a lot when I mix the two so I do about 1/3c of each and spread out the feeding by 20min so I don't upset her stomach.

Please let me know what you think about the amount of water she is drinking, her burping, and my putting water in her food.

THank you for your help.

Hi and thanks for an interesting question.

It is rare that I get concerned about a dog not drinking enough water. What you have described is likely ok. The only times I get concerned about a decreased amount of water intake is if it is combined with a lack of appetite and lethargy.

Does she get any canned food as well? If so, this will be adding to her water intake. There is no problem with adding water to her food if you would like to do this.

There is a good chance that the burping is normal. I have seen some dogs that just burp a lot. Some dogs will burp excessively because of a food allergy, however if you are mostly noticing the burping after drinking water this is likely not the case.

It seems unlikely that there is a structural problem with the stomach such as a foreign object or a tumor as we would expect to see vomiting of food if this were the case.

It may be worthwhile to try her on some Pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound to see if this makes a difference. If so, then this means that there may be a stomach issue present. If this is the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (6762 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25223 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (132836 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (15188 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17045 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11527 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (14361 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (8910 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (7583 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (31211 views)