Dog doesn't drink much and burps.

Breed: Boxer Mix
We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good health. However, she doesn't seem to drink much water. She weights 42lbs some days she drinks as little as 1.5cups of water but other days she can drink around 2.5cups. Whenever she drinks she almost always burps and can spit up a small amount of water at times. I have been measuring her water ever since I noticed her water intake seemed less than normal. I also give her water in her food when I notice her water intake has been low for a day. He gets 1cup of food 2x a day so I can usually get 1c of water mixed in with her food. However I also need to feed her in smaller amounts because she burps a lot when I mix the two so I do about 1/3c of each and spread out the feeding by 20min so I don't upset her stomach.

Please let me know what you think about the amount of water she is drinking, her burping, and my putting water in her food.

THank you for your help.

Hi and thanks for an interesting question.

It is rare that I get concerned about a dog not drinking enough water. What you have described is likely ok. The only times I get concerned about a decreased amount of water intake is if it is combined with a lack of appetite and lethargy.

Does she get any canned food as well? If so, this will be adding to her water intake. There is no problem with adding water to her food if you would like to do this.

There is a good chance that the burping is normal. I have seen some dogs that just burp a lot. Some dogs will burp excessively because of a food allergy, however if you are mostly noticing the burping after drinking water this is likely not the case.

It seems unlikely that there is a structural problem with the stomach such as a foreign object or a tumor as we would expect to see vomiting of food if this were the case.

It may be worthwhile to try her on some Pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound to see if this makes a difference. If so, then this means that there may be a stomach issue present. If this is the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11411 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (7151 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6615 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (69732 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6376 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9627 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (15744 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15393 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5204 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11326 views)