Dog doesn't drink much and burps.

Breed: Boxer Mix
We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good health. However, she doesn't seem to drink much water. She weights 42lbs some days she drinks as little as 1.5cups of water but other days she can drink around 2.5cups. Whenever she drinks she almost always burps and can spit up a small amount of water at times. I have been measuring her water ever since I noticed her water intake seemed less than normal. I also give her water in her food when I notice her water intake has been low for a day. He gets 1cup of food 2x a day so I can usually get 1c of water mixed in with her food. However I also need to feed her in smaller amounts because she burps a lot when I mix the two so I do about 1/3c of each and spread out the feeding by 20min so I don't upset her stomach.

Please let me know what you think about the amount of water she is drinking, her burping, and my putting water in her food.

THank you for your help.

Hi and thanks for an interesting question.

It is rare that I get concerned about a dog not drinking enough water. What you have described is likely ok. The only times I get concerned about a decreased amount of water intake is if it is combined with a lack of appetite and lethargy.

Does she get any canned food as well? If so, this will be adding to her water intake. There is no problem with adding water to her food if you would like to do this.

There is a good chance that the burping is normal. I have seen some dogs that just burp a lot. Some dogs will burp excessively because of a food allergy, however if you are mostly noticing the burping after drinking water this is likely not the case.

It seems unlikely that there is a structural problem with the stomach such as a foreign object or a tumor as we would expect to see vomiting of food if this were the case.

It may be worthwhile to try her on some Pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound to see if this makes a difference. If so, then this means that there may be a stomach issue present. If this is the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (12155 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8225 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10040 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11774 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9781 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7642 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26868 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5682 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9848 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28792 views)