Dog doesn't drink much and burps.

Breed: Boxer Mix
We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good health. However, she doesn't seem to drink much water. She weights 42lbs some days she drinks as little as 1.5cups of water but other days she can drink around 2.5cups. Whenever she drinks she almost always burps and can spit up a small amount of water at times. I have been measuring her water ever since I noticed her water intake seemed less than normal. I also give her water in her food when I notice her water intake has been low for a day. He gets 1cup of food 2x a day so I can usually get 1c of water mixed in with her food. However I also need to feed her in smaller amounts because she burps a lot when I mix the two so I do about 1/3c of each and spread out the feeding by 20min so I don't upset her stomach.

Please let me know what you think about the amount of water she is drinking, her burping, and my putting water in her food.

THank you for your help.

Hi and thanks for an interesting question.

It is rare that I get concerned about a dog not drinking enough water. What you have described is likely ok. The only times I get concerned about a decreased amount of water intake is if it is combined with a lack of appetite and lethargy.

Does she get any canned food as well? If so, this will be adding to her water intake. There is no problem with adding water to her food if you would like to do this.

There is a good chance that the burping is normal. I have seen some dogs that just burp a lot. Some dogs will burp excessively because of a food allergy, however if you are mostly noticing the burping after drinking water this is likely not the case.

It seems unlikely that there is a structural problem with the stomach such as a foreign object or a tumor as we would expect to see vomiting of food if this were the case.

It may be worthwhile to try her on some Pepcid (famotidine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound to see if this makes a difference. If so, then this means that there may be a stomach issue present. If this is the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6756 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7031 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (13306 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10127 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22053 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10311 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20412 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (30891 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5004 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (7824 views)