Thin after back injury.

Breed: Mutt (maybe Rottweil
A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break looks like he fell out of a moving truck. The vet said it was pretty bad and wasn't sure he would survive and if he did that he would probably be paralyzed. We adopted Buddy and nursed him back to health and he gets around pretty good. He still drags his back legs sometimes when tired or getting up, but most of the time he has a side to side hip waddle and keeps up with our other dog, Daisy well. My concern is that he is really thin in the back. His back legs are actually muscular, but his back half of his body is really skinny. You can actually see his back ribs and hip bones. On the body condition charts the front half of his body is ideal and muscular, but his back half where the break was is definitely thin on the chart. His vet ran blood tests and inspected him and found nothing wrong. He just said this was to be expected, but pictures I have seen of dogs with back injuries look don't seem to look like he does. We do keep dry food out for the dogs all day and our other dog, Daisy is healthy to slighty overweight. But our boy, Buddy has never filled out in back. He will not touch canned food. Is this really normal for dogs with a serious back injury? We estimate his age to be about 9 years old.
Thank you for your help!

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Buddy, but I would expect that the cause for the thin back end is due to the back injury. It is possible that there are certain muscles that are atrophied (shrunken) because they don't get the appropriate stimulation from the nervous system.

There are many different kinds of back injuries. I would expect that the majority of dogs that have a back injury actually have IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) but in Buddy's case we don't know the extent of the nervous damage that he has.

There is probably not a lot that can be done to build up these muscles. If this were my case I would be wanting to do some blood tests to see if I could find a reason for this but it sounds like his general blood work was good. And really, if there was a systemic reason for his condition it would affect his whole body.

You may want to ask your vet if an activity like swimming could help to build up his muscles. Alternatively they may be able to recommend a canine physiotherapist. Or, another option is to try laser therapy on the muscles if that is available in your area.

My guess though is that this is something that he just will have to live with.

I also don't think that the dislike for canned food is anything significant.

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (242150 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (27029 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8818 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13860 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (8209 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7470 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (24882 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6898 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (35962 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15804 views)