Thin after back injury.

Breed: Mutt (maybe Rottweil
A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break looks like he fell out of a moving truck. The vet said it was pretty bad and wasn't sure he would survive and if he did that he would probably be paralyzed. We adopted Buddy and nursed him back to health and he gets around pretty good. He still drags his back legs sometimes when tired or getting up, but most of the time he has a side to side hip waddle and keeps up with our other dog, Daisy well. My concern is that he is really thin in the back. His back legs are actually muscular, but his back half of his body is really skinny. You can actually see his back ribs and hip bones. On the body condition charts the front half of his body is ideal and muscular, but his back half where the break was is definitely thin on the chart. His vet ran blood tests and inspected him and found nothing wrong. He just said this was to be expected, but pictures I have seen of dogs with back injuries look don't seem to look like he does. We do keep dry food out for the dogs all day and our other dog, Daisy is healthy to slighty overweight. But our boy, Buddy has never filled out in back. He will not touch canned food. Is this really normal for dogs with a serious back injury? We estimate his age to be about 9 years old.
Thank you for your help!

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Buddy, but I would expect that the cause for the thin back end is due to the back injury. It is possible that there are certain muscles that are atrophied (shrunken) because they don't get the appropriate stimulation from the nervous system.

There are many different kinds of back injuries. I would expect that the majority of dogs that have a back injury actually have IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) but in Buddy's case we don't know the extent of the nervous damage that he has.

There is probably not a lot that can be done to build up these muscles. If this were my case I would be wanting to do some blood tests to see if I could find a reason for this but it sounds like his general blood work was good. And really, if there was a systemic reason for his condition it would affect his whole body.

You may want to ask your vet if an activity like swimming could help to build up his muscles. Alternatively they may be able to recommend a canine physiotherapist. Or, another option is to try laser therapy on the muscles if that is available in your area.

My guess though is that this is something that he just will have to live with.

I also don't think that the dislike for canned food is anything significant.

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5637 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (138060 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5862 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8082 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8698 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (8533 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9561 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (25581 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7416 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7627 views)