Older cat with vomiting and white nose.

Breed: domestic short haire
My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a habitual fast-eater / vomiter for years, but for the past 6mths he has been vomiting white foam, and other non-foamy white liquid, and sometimes a heavy, clear mucous. These vomits happen mostly after eating, though sometimes not.
He has been lethargic, quiet, hiding, and appears to have lost quite some weight. He now has a lower appetite, and seems to drink a lot more. Oh, and his usually pink nose if often white now.
He has been under stress for 3yrs as we had our first child, though they get along fine, but the toddler's noise scares the cat. We have a second cat, and both cats get along in a cool but not friendly way. Their 'play' seems to always be dominance related, and not fun, with hissing and fur flying.
Any ideas on the vomiting?

Thanks for your question. I'm concerned by what you have written.

My biggest concern is the fact that his nose is white. This can mean a severe anemia. If a cat is low on red blood cells it can cause the gums and the nose to look pale like this.

If I combine the symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and weight loss in an older cat there are a few things that can cause these symptoms.

My first concern is for kidney disease. When cats are quite far advanced into kidney disease then they can definitely be anemic.

Another possibility is hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss and vomiting, but usually cats with hyperthyroidism will still be eating. Is Stu still eating?

Unfortunately there are some cancers that can cause these symptoms as well.

Another thing that could cause these symptoms is a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This parasite is carried by fleas. However, this is not very common in older cats.

I would highly advise having some tests done on your cat. If this were my case I would definitely be recommending some blood tests which hopefully would tell us what is going on.

Some of these conditions are treatable, but I think when an older cat has these symptoms we have to be concerned.

Does the foam type vomit mean anything specific? Or is that a normal cat vomit? He also eats grass often these days: do they do that to make themselves sick, or is that a myth?

The color or type of vomit doesn't usually tell us too much (unless it is coffee grounds color in which case we are concerned about a stomach ulcer.) Foamy vomit doesn't really indicate anything.

I do believe that some cats will eat grass when they feel nauseous because they know that it will make them vomit and then hopefully they will feel better afterward. However, there are some cats who just like to eat grass!

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (8214 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (12569 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (12143 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9210 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (14928 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (42347 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (11361 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8832 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (15626 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (11620 views)