Older cat with vomiting and white nose.

Breed: domestic short haire
My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a habitual fast-eater / vomiter for years, but for the past 6mths he has been vomiting white foam, and other non-foamy white liquid, and sometimes a heavy, clear mucous. These vomits happen mostly after eating, though sometimes not.
He has been lethargic, quiet, hiding, and appears to have lost quite some weight. He now has a lower appetite, and seems to drink a lot more. Oh, and his usually pink nose if often white now.
He has been under stress for 3yrs as we had our first child, though they get along fine, but the toddler's noise scares the cat. We have a second cat, and both cats get along in a cool but not friendly way. Their 'play' seems to always be dominance related, and not fun, with hissing and fur flying.
Any ideas on the vomiting?

Thanks for your question. I'm concerned by what you have written.

My biggest concern is the fact that his nose is white. This can mean a severe anemia. If a cat is low on red blood cells it can cause the gums and the nose to look pale like this.

If I combine the symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and weight loss in an older cat there are a few things that can cause these symptoms.

My first concern is for kidney disease. When cats are quite far advanced into kidney disease then they can definitely be anemic.

Another possibility is hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss and vomiting, but usually cats with hyperthyroidism will still be eating. Is Stu still eating?

Unfortunately there are some cancers that can cause these symptoms as well.

Another thing that could cause these symptoms is a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This parasite is carried by fleas. However, this is not very common in older cats.

I would highly advise having some tests done on your cat. If this were my case I would definitely be recommending some blood tests which hopefully would tell us what is going on.

Some of these conditions are treatable, but I think when an older cat has these symptoms we have to be concerned.

Does the foam type vomit mean anything specific? Or is that a normal cat vomit? He also eats grass often these days: do they do that to make themselves sick, or is that a myth?

The color or type of vomit doesn't usually tell us too much (unless it is coffee grounds color in which case we are concerned about a stomach ulcer.) Foamy vomit doesn't really indicate anything.

I do believe that some cats will eat grass when they feel nauseous because they know that it will make them vomit and then hopefully they will feel better afterward. However, there are some cats who just like to eat grass!

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8572 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (32628 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7546 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13316 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (27441 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (20404 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6601 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (17335 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (12824 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (17112 views)