Older cat with vomiting and white nose.

Breed: domestic short haire
My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a habitual fast-eater / vomiter for years, but for the past 6mths he has been vomiting white foam, and other non-foamy white liquid, and sometimes a heavy, clear mucous. These vomits happen mostly after eating, though sometimes not.
He has been lethargic, quiet, hiding, and appears to have lost quite some weight. He now has a lower appetite, and seems to drink a lot more. Oh, and his usually pink nose if often white now.
He has been under stress for 3yrs as we had our first child, though they get along fine, but the toddler's noise scares the cat. We have a second cat, and both cats get along in a cool but not friendly way. Their 'play' seems to always be dominance related, and not fun, with hissing and fur flying.
Any ideas on the vomiting?

Thanks for your question. I'm concerned by what you have written.

My biggest concern is the fact that his nose is white. This can mean a severe anemia. If a cat is low on red blood cells it can cause the gums and the nose to look pale like this.

If I combine the symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and weight loss in an older cat there are a few things that can cause these symptoms.

My first concern is for kidney disease. When cats are quite far advanced into kidney disease then they can definitely be anemic.

Another possibility is hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss and vomiting, but usually cats with hyperthyroidism will still be eating. Is Stu still eating?

Unfortunately there are some cancers that can cause these symptoms as well.

Another thing that could cause these symptoms is a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This parasite is carried by fleas. However, this is not very common in older cats.

I would highly advise having some tests done on your cat. If this were my case I would definitely be recommending some blood tests which hopefully would tell us what is going on.

Some of these conditions are treatable, but I think when an older cat has these symptoms we have to be concerned.

Does the foam type vomit mean anything specific? Or is that a normal cat vomit? He also eats grass often these days: do they do that to make themselves sick, or is that a myth?

The color or type of vomit doesn't usually tell us too much (unless it is coffee grounds color in which case we are concerned about a stomach ulcer.) Foamy vomit doesn't really indicate anything.

I do believe that some cats will eat grass when they feel nauseous because they know that it will make them vomit and then hopefully they will feel better afterward. However, there are some cats who just like to eat grass!

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19359 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19604 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (8911 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15771 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9248 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10934 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (17783 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10205 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (28634 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (12228 views)