Older cat with vomiting and white nose.

Breed: domestic short haire
My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a habitual fast-eater / vomiter for years, but for the past 6mths he has been vomiting white foam, and other non-foamy white liquid, and sometimes a heavy, clear mucous. These vomits happen mostly after eating, though sometimes not.
He has been lethargic, quiet, hiding, and appears to have lost quite some weight. He now has a lower appetite, and seems to drink a lot more. Oh, and his usually pink nose if often white now.
He has been under stress for 3yrs as we had our first child, though they get along fine, but the toddler's noise scares the cat. We have a second cat, and both cats get along in a cool but not friendly way. Their 'play' seems to always be dominance related, and not fun, with hissing and fur flying.
Any ideas on the vomiting?

Thanks for your question. I'm concerned by what you have written.

My biggest concern is the fact that his nose is white. This can mean a severe anemia. If a cat is low on red blood cells it can cause the gums and the nose to look pale like this.

If I combine the symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and weight loss in an older cat there are a few things that can cause these symptoms.

My first concern is for kidney disease. When cats are quite far advanced into kidney disease then they can definitely be anemic.

Another possibility is hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss and vomiting, but usually cats with hyperthyroidism will still be eating. Is Stu still eating?

Unfortunately there are some cancers that can cause these symptoms as well.

Another thing that could cause these symptoms is a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This parasite is carried by fleas. However, this is not very common in older cats.

I would highly advise having some tests done on your cat. If this were my case I would definitely be recommending some blood tests which hopefully would tell us what is going on.

Some of these conditions are treatable, but I think when an older cat has these symptoms we have to be concerned.

Does the foam type vomit mean anything specific? Or is that a normal cat vomit? He also eats grass often these days: do they do that to make themselves sick, or is that a myth?

The color or type of vomit doesn't usually tell us too much (unless it is coffee grounds color in which case we are concerned about a stomach ulcer.) Foamy vomit doesn't really indicate anything.

I do believe that some cats will eat grass when they feel nauseous because they know that it will make them vomit and then hopefully they will feel better afterward. However, there are some cats who just like to eat grass!

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (16682 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (28103 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48903 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26968 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14477 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7164 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8977 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (26557 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (7238 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (34042 views)