Guinea pig with mammary tumor.

Breed: Guinea pig
what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!

Sorry to hear that Muffin is having these problems.

Unfortunately mammary gland tumors (cancer) are quite common in older guinea pigs.

A recent study showed that 50% of mammary cancers in guinea pigs are benign and 50% are malignant.

However, if you are seeing that the area has ruptured then I am concerned that this may be a malignant cancer.

An abscess is a possibility, but not as likely.

It's a good idea to have your vet take a look. They may be able to do surgery to remove the lump. Or, they might be able to prescribe some antibiotics which could help for a little while.

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (5136 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8596 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (45982 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16801 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8331 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15348 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9046 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (99952 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (15303 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6196 views)