Guinea pig with mammary tumor.

Breed: Guinea pig
what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!

Sorry to hear that Muffin is having these problems.

Unfortunately mammary gland tumors (cancer) are quite common in older guinea pigs.

A recent study showed that 50% of mammary cancers in guinea pigs are benign and 50% are malignant.

However, if you are seeing that the area has ruptured then I am concerned that this may be a malignant cancer.

An abscess is a possibility, but not as likely.

It's a good idea to have your vet take a look. They may be able to do surgery to remove the lump. Or, they might be able to prescribe some antibiotics which could help for a little while.

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (12621 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (18679 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (30591 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (27841 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (13095 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (13360 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (68021 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (72199 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (8301 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (15898 views)