Not using litter box.

Breed: unknown
All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will not poop in her litterbox. She has recently taken to going on a paper that we put on the floor when she started this. She usually poops in the same spot but on occasions she will do it in other areas. Since she is older, she does have arthritus (sp?) but I don't think this enters into it because she does urinated in her box. Please help .... I am planning to move her into another home where I am taking care of my Mother who has dementia and I'm sure she will not like her behavior. Thank you.

Hi Linda,

Thanks very much for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your cat is doing this frustrating behavior!

This can sometimes be difficult to fix but I have a few thoughts for you.

The most common reason for an older cat to defecate outside of the box is because of arthritis. Many older cats will develop a condition called lumbosacral disease where there is pain near the end of the spinal cord. This can cause pain sometimes when they get into the posture they need to defecate.

Given this information, there are two possible reasons for the pain to cause her to defecate outside of the box. The first is that she may have a slightly different posture inside the box (i.e. trying to avoid touching the walls) and that posture hurts more than just letting it drop out with minimal crouching. The second is that she may have had some pain once when she defecated in the box and now she doesn't want to poop in the box so that she can avoid having that pain again.

Here are a few ideas for you: Try getting a new box. Experiment with box sizes. You can try using a large rubbermaid container. Alternatively you can try using a boot tray (i.e. no walls for her to climb over).

It is very important to keep the box clean. Some cats can develop behavioral issues where they will not use a box that they think is unclean. A good way to help with this is to have 2 or 3 boxes.

If it is behavioral a product called feliway may help. It is a plug in diffuser that emits pheromones (hormones) that help reduce stress in cats. You can get them at most pet stores.

Ideally it would be great to have your vet look at Patches and take some xrays of her spine. If she does have lumbosacral syndrome she would benefit from some pain medication and this may solve the problem as well. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication for pain that is safe for cats.

I really hope things improve soon! Let me know if you have more concerns.

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (19576 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (31010 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16328 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (8990 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9706 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8208 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13131 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16299 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (165234 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19857 views)