Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (8434 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (13651 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (14086 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (16049 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (21883 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (10458 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (11275 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (12219 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (7045 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (17141 views)