Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9928 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7957 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10835 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8300 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (11000 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24133 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (13558 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7814 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (24828 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (14418 views)