Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (111122 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5560 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10825 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35144 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4408 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10714 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (64786 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8249 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (7988 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14683 views)