Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (10961 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5225 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (18719 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (8536 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (9748 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (9785 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (9482 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9491 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13262 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (21133 views)