Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (43519 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19685 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33442 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (22023 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (11219 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13036 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (50746 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6970 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32760 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7079 views)