Swollen throat.

Breed: rotty cross
over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster storing food) he is still drinking and eating but keeps heaving as if he goin to be sick... will he be okay? what could this be?

Sorry to hear that Rocky is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause a dog's throat to swell like this.

The first is an allergic reaction to an insect sting. This can cause swelling in the face, neck, nose or eyes. If it is an allergic reaction he may get some benefit from Benadryl. You can give 1 mg per pound. Each tablet is 25 mg. So, if your dog weighed 75 pounds, this would be 3 tablets. However, if this is an allergic reaction severe enough to cause breathing issues then he may need to have antihistamine and steroid injections given by the vet.

The next possibility is if the lymph nodes are swelling. Hopefully this is not the case. Swollen lymph nodes are often a sign of cancer. It may seem strange to have them swell all of a sudden, but I have seen some dogs that do this.

An abscess is also a possibility. An abscess would have started with some sort of wound (but often the cause is not known.) If this is an abscess then it's going to need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possibly even some surgery.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds like something that shouldn't wait. Hopefully Rocky can see a vet really soon

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26069 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23060 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21559 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8214 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (43289 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7968 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8545 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8638 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8193 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10790 views)