Cat with crusty areas.

Breed: tortishell, short ha
Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had recurring black crusty areas under her chin, and also around her anus. Her coat seems to be losing condition as well. We took her to a vet who took a scraping, told us it was mites, gave her an injection two weeks apart, the symptoms reduced almost completely but did not disappear entirely and are now increasing again. The vet gave us no record (and has 'lost' own records) of what she was treated with, and exact diagnosis (we live in Kenya and finding a good vet is very difficult, also reluctant to get her injected again as vet hit a nerve with the needle and cat screamed for minutes afterwards). Your advice would be much appreciated!!

Sorry to hear that Oppermann is having problems!

What a frustrating situation! I wish you were able to find out what it was that the vet found the first time. In my area (Canada) mites are relatively uncommon in cats. In fact, other than ear mites, I am not sure if I have ever diagnosed mites in a cat.

In some parts of the world a parasite called Demodex can affect cats. You may want to ask vets in your area if Demodex is a common problem.

There are a number of other possibilities. It is possible that your cat has some allergies. If so, having the vet prescribe steroids may help. Switching to a hypoallergenic food if one is available for you is a possibility as well.

It could be that there is skin infection in these areas in which case she would need antibiotics.

Sometimes black debris can be flea dirt. Take some of the black debris and put it on a white paper towel or piece of paper. Then, put some water on it and see if you can get it to smear and make a rusty color. If so, this is flea dirt.

If this were my case I would likely be applying a good flea prevention product such as Revolution as this would kill many other parasites including certain mites as well.

Chin acne can cause black crusty areas on the chin but shouldn't affect the anus and the rest of her coat.

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (12862 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10492 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (28416 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (13284 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (9874 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5464 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (11940 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6425 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8135 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (46778 views)