Cat with crusty areas.

Breed: tortishell, short ha
Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had recurring black crusty areas under her chin, and also around her anus. Her coat seems to be losing condition as well. We took her to a vet who took a scraping, told us it was mites, gave her an injection two weeks apart, the symptoms reduced almost completely but did not disappear entirely and are now increasing again. The vet gave us no record (and has 'lost' own records) of what she was treated with, and exact diagnosis (we live in Kenya and finding a good vet is very difficult, also reluctant to get her injected again as vet hit a nerve with the needle and cat screamed for minutes afterwards). Your advice would be much appreciated!!

Sorry to hear that Oppermann is having problems!

What a frustrating situation! I wish you were able to find out what it was that the vet found the first time. In my area (Canada) mites are relatively uncommon in cats. In fact, other than ear mites, I am not sure if I have ever diagnosed mites in a cat.

In some parts of the world a parasite called Demodex can affect cats. You may want to ask vets in your area if Demodex is a common problem.

There are a number of other possibilities. It is possible that your cat has some allergies. If so, having the vet prescribe steroids may help. Switching to a hypoallergenic food if one is available for you is a possibility as well.

It could be that there is skin infection in these areas in which case she would need antibiotics.

Sometimes black debris can be flea dirt. Take some of the black debris and put it on a white paper towel or piece of paper. Then, put some water on it and see if you can get it to smear and make a rusty color. If so, this is flea dirt.

If this were my case I would likely be applying a good flea prevention product such as Revolution as this would kill many other parasites including certain mites as well.

Chin acne can cause black crusty areas on the chin but shouldn't affect the anus and the rest of her coat.

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18963 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (7514 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6840 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (12673 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (12915 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (6296 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (9270 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (18290 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (12929 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (9816 views)