Cat with crusty areas.

Breed: tortishell, short ha
Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had recurring black crusty areas under her chin, and also around her anus. Her coat seems to be losing condition as well. We took her to a vet who took a scraping, told us it was mites, gave her an injection two weeks apart, the symptoms reduced almost completely but did not disappear entirely and are now increasing again. The vet gave us no record (and has 'lost' own records) of what she was treated with, and exact diagnosis (we live in Kenya and finding a good vet is very difficult, also reluctant to get her injected again as vet hit a nerve with the needle and cat screamed for minutes afterwards). Your advice would be much appreciated!!

Sorry to hear that Oppermann is having problems!

What a frustrating situation! I wish you were able to find out what it was that the vet found the first time. In my area (Canada) mites are relatively uncommon in cats. In fact, other than ear mites, I am not sure if I have ever diagnosed mites in a cat.

In some parts of the world a parasite called Demodex can affect cats. You may want to ask vets in your area if Demodex is a common problem.

There are a number of other possibilities. It is possible that your cat has some allergies. If so, having the vet prescribe steroids may help. Switching to a hypoallergenic food if one is available for you is a possibility as well.

It could be that there is skin infection in these areas in which case she would need antibiotics.

Sometimes black debris can be flea dirt. Take some of the black debris and put it on a white paper towel or piece of paper. Then, put some water on it and see if you can get it to smear and make a rusty color. If so, this is flea dirt.

If this were my case I would likely be applying a good flea prevention product such as Revolution as this would kill many other parasites including certain mites as well.

Chin acne can cause black crusty areas on the chin but shouldn't affect the anus and the rest of her coat.

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13175 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (8646 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18573 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (22292 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (15377 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (15625 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (23155 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (16626 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (12194 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (24859 views)