Blood in stool.

Breed: yorkie poo
hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure what to do

Sorry to hear that Lucky is not doing well.

My answer depends on how Lucky is feeling. If he looks really sick and doesn't want to eat then there is a possibility that this is a serious problem called HGE (hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis). HGE is serious and life threatening but is usually treated quite successfully with fluids given intravenously by your veterinarian.

However, if Lucky is still relatively bright and alert then this may just be colitis. Colitis means that there is inflammation in the colon. Sometimes we can blame the inflammation on a new treat or a change in food.

There are other causes for blood in the stool. If he has eaten rat poison this can cause serious bleeding. But, this is not very common.

So, if Lucky is still bright and relatively happy then I would give him no food for 24 hours followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. (These foods are easy for the intestines to digest). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'd have your vet see him.

However, if you think he looks really sick, then he's going to need to see the vet tonight.

I hope things are better soon!

lucky is verry alert n barking alot as usual he hasnt really been eating today just a bit a gave him some chicken just boiled chicken yesterday should i give him more then tommorow with rice if he is doing good

I think that's a good plan. If he still has bloody diarrhea in the morning, or if he still doesn't want to eat much tomorrow then he may need to see the vet for some medication. Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter medication that is safe and effective for diarrhea in dogs.

ok,thank you

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11889 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (26694 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8256 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (16018 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6951 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (39096 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10681 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11297 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10906 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28021 views)