Blood in stool.

Breed: yorkie poo
hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure what to do

Sorry to hear that Lucky is not doing well.

My answer depends on how Lucky is feeling. If he looks really sick and doesn't want to eat then there is a possibility that this is a serious problem called HGE (hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis). HGE is serious and life threatening but is usually treated quite successfully with fluids given intravenously by your veterinarian.

However, if Lucky is still relatively bright and alert then this may just be colitis. Colitis means that there is inflammation in the colon. Sometimes we can blame the inflammation on a new treat or a change in food.

There are other causes for blood in the stool. If he has eaten rat poison this can cause serious bleeding. But, this is not very common.

So, if Lucky is still bright and relatively happy then I would give him no food for 24 hours followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. (These foods are easy for the intestines to digest). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'd have your vet see him.

However, if you think he looks really sick, then he's going to need to see the vet tonight.

I hope things are better soon!

lucky is verry alert n barking alot as usual he hasnt really been eating today just a bit a gave him some chicken just boiled chicken yesterday should i give him more then tommorow with rice if he is doing good

I think that's a good plan. If he still has bloody diarrhea in the morning, or if he still doesn't want to eat much tomorrow then he may need to see the vet for some medication. Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter medication that is safe and effective for diarrhea in dogs.

ok,thank you

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (29213 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13957 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10636 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5783 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13110 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9627 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (7332 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (16331 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5448 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (69557 views)