Blood in stool.

Breed: yorkie poo
hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure what to do

Sorry to hear that Lucky is not doing well.

My answer depends on how Lucky is feeling. If he looks really sick and doesn't want to eat then there is a possibility that this is a serious problem called HGE (hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis). HGE is serious and life threatening but is usually treated quite successfully with fluids given intravenously by your veterinarian.

However, if Lucky is still relatively bright and alert then this may just be colitis. Colitis means that there is inflammation in the colon. Sometimes we can blame the inflammation on a new treat or a change in food.

There are other causes for blood in the stool. If he has eaten rat poison this can cause serious bleeding. But, this is not very common.

So, if Lucky is still bright and relatively happy then I would give him no food for 24 hours followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. (These foods are easy for the intestines to digest). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'd have your vet see him.

However, if you think he looks really sick, then he's going to need to see the vet tonight.

I hope things are better soon!

lucky is verry alert n barking alot as usual he hasnt really been eating today just a bit a gave him some chicken just boiled chicken yesterday should i give him more then tommorow with rice if he is doing good

I think that's a good plan. If he still has bloody diarrhea in the morning, or if he still doesn't want to eat much tomorrow then he may need to see the vet for some medication. Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter medication that is safe and effective for diarrhea in dogs.

ok,thank you

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9090 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11547 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4741 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8051 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (8006 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11380 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10059 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (74904 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7668 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5110 views)