Blood in stool.

Breed: yorkie poo
hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure what to do

Sorry to hear that Lucky is not doing well.

My answer depends on how Lucky is feeling. If he looks really sick and doesn't want to eat then there is a possibility that this is a serious problem called HGE (hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis). HGE is serious and life threatening but is usually treated quite successfully with fluids given intravenously by your veterinarian.

However, if Lucky is still relatively bright and alert then this may just be colitis. Colitis means that there is inflammation in the colon. Sometimes we can blame the inflammation on a new treat or a change in food.

There are other causes for blood in the stool. If he has eaten rat poison this can cause serious bleeding. But, this is not very common.

So, if Lucky is still bright and relatively happy then I would give him no food for 24 hours followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. (These foods are easy for the intestines to digest). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'd have your vet see him.

However, if you think he looks really sick, then he's going to need to see the vet tonight.

I hope things are better soon!

lucky is verry alert n barking alot as usual he hasnt really been eating today just a bit a gave him some chicken just boiled chicken yesterday should i give him more then tommorow with rice if he is doing good

I think that's a good plan. If he still has bloody diarrhea in the morning, or if he still doesn't want to eat much tomorrow then he may need to see the vet for some medication. Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter medication that is safe and effective for diarrhea in dogs.

ok,thank you

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8079 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (15821 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (32505 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8900 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (9825 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (16842 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12357 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6461 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (26925 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4705 views)