Blood in stool.

Breed: yorkie poo
hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure what to do

Sorry to hear that Lucky is not doing well.

My answer depends on how Lucky is feeling. If he looks really sick and doesn't want to eat then there is a possibility that this is a serious problem called HGE (hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis). HGE is serious and life threatening but is usually treated quite successfully with fluids given intravenously by your veterinarian.

However, if Lucky is still relatively bright and alert then this may just be colitis. Colitis means that there is inflammation in the colon. Sometimes we can blame the inflammation on a new treat or a change in food.

There are other causes for blood in the stool. If he has eaten rat poison this can cause serious bleeding. But, this is not very common.

So, if Lucky is still bright and relatively happy then I would give him no food for 24 hours followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. (These foods are easy for the intestines to digest). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'd have your vet see him.

However, if you think he looks really sick, then he's going to need to see the vet tonight.

I hope things are better soon!

lucky is verry alert n barking alot as usual he hasnt really been eating today just a bit a gave him some chicken just boiled chicken yesterday should i give him more then tommorow with rice if he is doing good

I think that's a good plan. If he still has bloody diarrhea in the morning, or if he still doesn't want to eat much tomorrow then he may need to see the vet for some medication. Unfortunately there isn't any over the counter medication that is safe and effective for diarrhea in dogs.

ok,thank you

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (17609 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5811 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (169503 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11884 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (16790 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19660 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12634 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8738 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10828 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (14111 views)