Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7019 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (29865 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5563 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7925 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12420 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9816 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15050 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8210 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16216 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7856 views)