Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (12924 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (11603 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (19822 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (15670 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (8683 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (20464 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (22219 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (36300 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (12160 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (13735 views)