Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9518 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (10718 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11463 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19091 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4612 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (10242 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15463 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (12519 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15809 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19030 views)