Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8543 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8109 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4764 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (7435 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (269801 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7802 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (24120 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (49043 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6943 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11791 views)