Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16992 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7899 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (9352 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5949 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7866 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (12485 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (15745 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (12293 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (22676 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8124 views)