Dog losing chunks of fur.

Breed: heeler x
My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns black. He is not itching it either Want to no to seek vet for medication or is it part of old age?

Sorry to hear that Milo is having these problems.

This is definitely not a normal problem!

Black skin is usually there as a result of a chronic infection (either yeast or bacteria). However, it is unusual that the skin is normal one day and then black the next.

The first thing I would think of is, however a skin infection. Unfortunately most skin infections will not go away without prescription medications that you would need to get from your vet.

Is your dog neutered? If not, I have seen some dogs with testicular tumors that have black thickened skin and hair loss.

This is definitely not just "old age". There may be something that can be done for him so if possible a vet visit would be great!

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7639 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8799 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12877 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29366 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11093 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11543 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62567 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (29784 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5563 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (79919 views)