Light sensitivity in older cat.

Breed: British shorthair
Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills prescription diet K/D plus ipakitine powder. He has had 2 infusion treatments.
He also eats raw and cooked fish and cooked chicken
The problem I am asking about is the that he has his eyes closed or semi closed nearly all the time as if maybe he finds light uncomfortable. He doesnt rub them and there is no discharge. He also seems to jerk a lot when sitting on my lap. He eats ok but not keen on the Hills. He goes outside but not as much as before.
Are the above symptoms relevant to his condition? I have asked my vet about his eyes but he dismissed it as being important.

Thank you for an interesting question. The symptoms that you have described of Jack jerking and squinting are really not normal symptoms to have along with kidney disease.

I'm wondering if part of Jack's problem could be because of the raw fish in his diet. There are some fish that can produce something called thiaminase if eaten raw. (Unfortunately I don't know which fish will do this.) If a cat is consistently fed thiaminase it can cause a thiamine deficiency. Most cats with a thiamine deficiency will have gastrointestinal effects first. So, a lack of appetite could be because of this. And then, we can see neurological effects. It certainly is possible that the eye squinting is connected to a neurological problem.

I know Jack probably loves the raw fish but I would advise taking it out of his diet and after a few weeks we may find that the symptoms get better.

There are some other things that could cause light sensitivity in a cat. However, with no discharge, the list is small. If there was discharge I would wonder about a herpes virus or a condition called KCS (dry eye.)

You may want to ask your vet if it is possible that she has a detached retina. The retina is the back of the eye and sometimes if a cat's blood pressure is increased the retina can detach. This causes blindness. It really doesn't cause jerking, but I'm wondering if the jerking is related to him having trouble seeing? It is often hard to tell if a cat is blind or not because they hide it well.

Cats with kidney problems can often have issues with their blood pressure, so it's not a bad idea to have the blood pressure checked.

If this is normal then you could ask your vet for a referral to see a veterinary ophthalmologist. These are vets who are used to dealing with unusual eye conditions in cats and dogs.

Hopefully taking the fish out of his diet will help!

Thank you, actually the raw fish was a recent addition to his diet but if it is possibly not good for him I will stop feeding it anyway. I will ask to have his blood pressure checked. This is a terrible condition to manage:-( I know I shouldn't give him ordinary cat food but sometimes I have to mix some with the diet food to get him to eat at all.

Lynda

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (22321 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (25312 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (10423 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (13123 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (14096 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (6880 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (40368 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (22368 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (33823 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (37644 views)