Shedding because of diet?

Breed: Chocolat point siame
My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is lacking something in his diet or something else?

Thank You,
Lisa Young

Hi Lisa. For many cats, shedding is completely normal. Some cats will shed more than others.

Is Speed on a good quality cat food? I have noticed a great difference in coat quality when a cat is on a poor food as compared to a good one. So, how do you know if your cat is on a good food? For most foods, you get what you pay for. So, if he is being fed a really inexpensive food then you may see an increase in coat quality if you upgrade to something better. (Additionally, inexpensive cat foods can predispose a cat to serious urinary tract problems that can be very expensive to treat and even life threatening.)

Some cats with increased shedding can benefit from an omega fatty acid supplement that you add to the food each day. In our office we sell a liquid in a pump that you can squirt on the food each day. The fatty acids will really help with the coat quality.

Sometimes if a cat suddenly has more shedding than usual it can be a sign that he is fighting an illness of some sort so a vet visit would be a good idea.

Another thing you can look in to is a product called a furminator. These brushes are expensive but are amazing at removing the undercoat of a shedding animal.

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11668 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10894 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18806 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (17878 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (10349 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9932 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9066 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (32433 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12441 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19744 views)