Dog licks my nose.

Breed: Italian Geyhound
Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back in early April, and at that time was given 2 weeks to live. She was put on Presnidone, Tramadol, Benedryl, and Pepcid at that time. Ten weeks later she is still around, has gained some weight, I assume due to the Presnidone, had started to have mild seizures,was put on another drug to control them which it has. I realize she is end stage, but she seems to always be in good spirits, eats well, and other than a little incontinece a night while sleeping once in a while, is doing o.k. I don't think she is in a lot of pain. My question is more of a behavioral one than medical. Since she has recovered from surgery, she has an obsession with licking inside my nose when ever she can get to it.She sleeps next to me every night as she always has, and going to bed gets difficult because of this obsession. We have two other Italian Greyhounds, they have always slept by my wifes side. Luci has always been my little girl and favors me, always has, but has never done this until she got sick. Would there be anything that would cause this? My main concern would be if you would think this could be a reflex to pain. I would never want to keep her around for my benefit, but I don't think she is in any pain right now. Any ideas? Thanks..

I'm sorry to hear that Luci is going through so much! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though.

I have to tell you that I have not heard of a dog doing what Luci is doing (licking your nose) before! It is very unlikely to be due to pain.

It sounds to me like it may be a learned behavior. Perhaps she did it once and you thought it was cute and gave her lots of attention so she decided to do it over and over again?

If you want to try to stop the behavior you could try putting something on your nose that would taste bad to Luci such as some bitter apple spray or tobasco sauce. You just have to make sure that it is not intolerable for you! She should get the idea that it is not pleasant to lick that area after a few attempts.

It's often hard to tell if a dog is in pain, but usually a dog's appetite will suffer if they are not feeling well.

I hope she continues to hang in there and have a happy life with you for quite a while longer!

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (8068 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (8669 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5330 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (11161 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (198527 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (29174 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (9302 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (31360 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (11220 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (30115 views)