Dog licks my nose.

Breed: Italian Geyhound
Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back in early April, and at that time was given 2 weeks to live. She was put on Presnidone, Tramadol, Benedryl, and Pepcid at that time. Ten weeks later she is still around, has gained some weight, I assume due to the Presnidone, had started to have mild seizures,was put on another drug to control them which it has. I realize she is end stage, but she seems to always be in good spirits, eats well, and other than a little incontinece a night while sleeping once in a while, is doing o.k. I don't think she is in a lot of pain. My question is more of a behavioral one than medical. Since she has recovered from surgery, she has an obsession with licking inside my nose when ever she can get to it.She sleeps next to me every night as she always has, and going to bed gets difficult because of this obsession. We have two other Italian Greyhounds, they have always slept by my wifes side. Luci has always been my little girl and favors me, always has, but has never done this until she got sick. Would there be anything that would cause this? My main concern would be if you would think this could be a reflex to pain. I would never want to keep her around for my benefit, but I don't think she is in any pain right now. Any ideas? Thanks..

I'm sorry to hear that Luci is going through so much! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though.

I have to tell you that I have not heard of a dog doing what Luci is doing (licking your nose) before! It is very unlikely to be due to pain.

It sounds to me like it may be a learned behavior. Perhaps she did it once and you thought it was cute and gave her lots of attention so she decided to do it over and over again?

If you want to try to stop the behavior you could try putting something on your nose that would taste bad to Luci such as some bitter apple spray or tobasco sauce. You just have to make sure that it is not intolerable for you! She should get the idea that it is not pleasant to lick that area after a few attempts.

It's often hard to tell if a dog is in pain, but usually a dog's appetite will suffer if they are not feeling well.

I hope she continues to hang in there and have a happy life with you for quite a while longer!

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (15850 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (9832 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (8910 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (16011 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (12813 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (11724 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (17741 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (12261 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (13559 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (57211 views)