Dog licks my nose.

Breed: Italian Geyhound
Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back in early April, and at that time was given 2 weeks to live. She was put on Presnidone, Tramadol, Benedryl, and Pepcid at that time. Ten weeks later she is still around, has gained some weight, I assume due to the Presnidone, had started to have mild seizures,was put on another drug to control them which it has. I realize she is end stage, but she seems to always be in good spirits, eats well, and other than a little incontinece a night while sleeping once in a while, is doing o.k. I don't think she is in a lot of pain. My question is more of a behavioral one than medical. Since she has recovered from surgery, she has an obsession with licking inside my nose when ever she can get to it.She sleeps next to me every night as she always has, and going to bed gets difficult because of this obsession. We have two other Italian Greyhounds, they have always slept by my wifes side. Luci has always been my little girl and favors me, always has, but has never done this until she got sick. Would there be anything that would cause this? My main concern would be if you would think this could be a reflex to pain. I would never want to keep her around for my benefit, but I don't think she is in any pain right now. Any ideas? Thanks..

I'm sorry to hear that Luci is going through so much! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though.

I have to tell you that I have not heard of a dog doing what Luci is doing (licking your nose) before! It is very unlikely to be due to pain.

It sounds to me like it may be a learned behavior. Perhaps she did it once and you thought it was cute and gave her lots of attention so she decided to do it over and over again?

If you want to try to stop the behavior you could try putting something on your nose that would taste bad to Luci such as some bitter apple spray or tobasco sauce. You just have to make sure that it is not intolerable for you! She should get the idea that it is not pleasant to lick that area after a few attempts.

It's often hard to tell if a dog is in pain, but usually a dog's appetite will suffer if they are not feeling well.

I hope she continues to hang in there and have a happy life with you for quite a while longer!

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (5121 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (5789 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8273 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (6543 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4046 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12283 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35900 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (10959 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8174 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6332 views)