Dog licks my nose.

Breed: Italian Geyhound
Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back in early April, and at that time was given 2 weeks to live. She was put on Presnidone, Tramadol, Benedryl, and Pepcid at that time. Ten weeks later she is still around, has gained some weight, I assume due to the Presnidone, had started to have mild seizures,was put on another drug to control them which it has. I realize she is end stage, but she seems to always be in good spirits, eats well, and other than a little incontinece a night while sleeping once in a while, is doing o.k. I don't think she is in a lot of pain. My question is more of a behavioral one than medical. Since she has recovered from surgery, she has an obsession with licking inside my nose when ever she can get to it.She sleeps next to me every night as she always has, and going to bed gets difficult because of this obsession. We have two other Italian Greyhounds, they have always slept by my wifes side. Luci has always been my little girl and favors me, always has, but has never done this until she got sick. Would there be anything that would cause this? My main concern would be if you would think this could be a reflex to pain. I would never want to keep her around for my benefit, but I don't think she is in any pain right now. Any ideas? Thanks..

I'm sorry to hear that Luci is going through so much! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though.

I have to tell you that I have not heard of a dog doing what Luci is doing (licking your nose) before! It is very unlikely to be due to pain.

It sounds to me like it may be a learned behavior. Perhaps she did it once and you thought it was cute and gave her lots of attention so she decided to do it over and over again?

If you want to try to stop the behavior you could try putting something on your nose that would taste bad to Luci such as some bitter apple spray or tobasco sauce. You just have to make sure that it is not intolerable for you! She should get the idea that it is not pleasant to lick that area after a few attempts.

It's often hard to tell if a dog is in pain, but usually a dog's appetite will suffer if they are not feeling well.

I hope she continues to hang in there and have a happy life with you for quite a while longer!

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (42132 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (14560 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (15948 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (6894 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8783 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (18621 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (10316 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (11129 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (18712 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7548 views)