Dog licks my nose.

Breed: Italian Geyhound
Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back in early April, and at that time was given 2 weeks to live. She was put on Presnidone, Tramadol, Benedryl, and Pepcid at that time. Ten weeks later she is still around, has gained some weight, I assume due to the Presnidone, had started to have mild seizures,was put on another drug to control them which it has. I realize she is end stage, but she seems to always be in good spirits, eats well, and other than a little incontinece a night while sleeping once in a while, is doing o.k. I don't think she is in a lot of pain. My question is more of a behavioral one than medical. Since she has recovered from surgery, she has an obsession with licking inside my nose when ever she can get to it.She sleeps next to me every night as she always has, and going to bed gets difficult because of this obsession. We have two other Italian Greyhounds, they have always slept by my wifes side. Luci has always been my little girl and favors me, always has, but has never done this until she got sick. Would there be anything that would cause this? My main concern would be if you would think this could be a reflex to pain. I would never want to keep her around for my benefit, but I don't think she is in any pain right now. Any ideas? Thanks..

I'm sorry to hear that Luci is going through so much! It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though.

I have to tell you that I have not heard of a dog doing what Luci is doing (licking your nose) before! It is very unlikely to be due to pain.

It sounds to me like it may be a learned behavior. Perhaps she did it once and you thought it was cute and gave her lots of attention so she decided to do it over and over again?

If you want to try to stop the behavior you could try putting something on your nose that would taste bad to Luci such as some bitter apple spray or tobasco sauce. You just have to make sure that it is not intolerable for you! She should get the idea that it is not pleasant to lick that area after a few attempts.

It's often hard to tell if a dog is in pain, but usually a dog's appetite will suffer if they are not feeling well.

I hope she continues to hang in there and have a happy life with you for quite a while longer!

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25782 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16578 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13833 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6077 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12087 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9388 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (42829 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (81015 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (7071 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (4863 views)