Meowing all the time? pain?

Breed: Short Haired
Hi Dr. Marie
Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops. He has been bleeding from his nose and eye and the medication seems to not be helping anymore because he has been on it for so long (the vet said that might happen) Recently he has been meowing constantly, he has short and long meows and doesn't stop no matter what we do. He used to always be around us but now he seems to lay on the bathroom floor and only spend time with us when we go to bed. He is still purring, but doesn't really seem to be moving around alot. He is also still eating and drinking! Our main concern is that he is in pain because he never really used to meow that much.
Thanks so much
Kayleen and Dave

Oh, I am sorry that Fat Cat is having problems.

Chronic respiratory issues can be frustrating.

The fact that he is still eating and drinking is really good. Usually if a cat is in pain then their appetite will decrease.

Sometimes, when a cat is meowing more than usual it can mean that there is an issue with blood pressure. It would be a great idea to have your vet check his blood pressure and see if it is high. If so, medication may help.

Another possibility which may be hard to diagnose is the presence of a tumor in the brain. This could cause the bleeding from the nose and eye and could account for the meowing. Sometimes an xray can give us hints of a brain tumor, but often an MRI is needed which can be very pricey.

If your vet finds that his blood pressure is normal they may consider trying him on some steroids to see if this can help reduce brain swelling.

I really hope he is ok!

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (7503 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (10425 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (18272 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (13105 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (17073 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (140201 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (18466 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (21533 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (11973 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (26189 views)