Meowing all the time? pain?

Breed: Short Haired
Hi Dr. Marie
Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops. He has been bleeding from his nose and eye and the medication seems to not be helping anymore because he has been on it for so long (the vet said that might happen) Recently he has been meowing constantly, he has short and long meows and doesn't stop no matter what we do. He used to always be around us but now he seems to lay on the bathroom floor and only spend time with us when we go to bed. He is still purring, but doesn't really seem to be moving around alot. He is also still eating and drinking! Our main concern is that he is in pain because he never really used to meow that much.
Thanks so much
Kayleen and Dave

Oh, I am sorry that Fat Cat is having problems.

Chronic respiratory issues can be frustrating.

The fact that he is still eating and drinking is really good. Usually if a cat is in pain then their appetite will decrease.

Sometimes, when a cat is meowing more than usual it can mean that there is an issue with blood pressure. It would be a great idea to have your vet check his blood pressure and see if it is high. If so, medication may help.

Another possibility which may be hard to diagnose is the presence of a tumor in the brain. This could cause the bleeding from the nose and eye and could account for the meowing. Sometimes an xray can give us hints of a brain tumor, but often an MRI is needed which can be very pricey.

If your vet finds that his blood pressure is normal they may consider trying him on some steroids to see if this can help reduce brain swelling.

I really hope he is ok!

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9823 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9131 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6487 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (533017 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9683 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6583 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5052 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6597 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (6963 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (68763 views)