Meowing all the time? pain?

Breed: Short Haired
Hi Dr. Marie
Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops. He has been bleeding from his nose and eye and the medication seems to not be helping anymore because he has been on it for so long (the vet said that might happen) Recently he has been meowing constantly, he has short and long meows and doesn't stop no matter what we do. He used to always be around us but now he seems to lay on the bathroom floor and only spend time with us when we go to bed. He is still purring, but doesn't really seem to be moving around alot. He is also still eating and drinking! Our main concern is that he is in pain because he never really used to meow that much.
Thanks so much
Kayleen and Dave

Oh, I am sorry that Fat Cat is having problems.

Chronic respiratory issues can be frustrating.

The fact that he is still eating and drinking is really good. Usually if a cat is in pain then their appetite will decrease.

Sometimes, when a cat is meowing more than usual it can mean that there is an issue with blood pressure. It would be a great idea to have your vet check his blood pressure and see if it is high. If so, medication may help.

Another possibility which may be hard to diagnose is the presence of a tumor in the brain. This could cause the bleeding from the nose and eye and could account for the meowing. Sometimes an xray can give us hints of a brain tumor, but often an MRI is needed which can be very pricey.

If your vet finds that his blood pressure is normal they may consider trying him on some steroids to see if this can help reduce brain swelling.

I really hope he is ok!

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22412 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11167 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (24076 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5986 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (46540 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11400 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13221 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10771 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (6903 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9628 views)