Meowing all the time? pain?

Breed: Short Haired
Hi Dr. Marie
Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops. He has been bleeding from his nose and eye and the medication seems to not be helping anymore because he has been on it for so long (the vet said that might happen) Recently he has been meowing constantly, he has short and long meows and doesn't stop no matter what we do. He used to always be around us but now he seems to lay on the bathroom floor and only spend time with us when we go to bed. He is still purring, but doesn't really seem to be moving around alot. He is also still eating and drinking! Our main concern is that he is in pain because he never really used to meow that much.
Thanks so much
Kayleen and Dave

Oh, I am sorry that Fat Cat is having problems.

Chronic respiratory issues can be frustrating.

The fact that he is still eating and drinking is really good. Usually if a cat is in pain then their appetite will decrease.

Sometimes, when a cat is meowing more than usual it can mean that there is an issue with blood pressure. It would be a great idea to have your vet check his blood pressure and see if it is high. If so, medication may help.

Another possibility which may be hard to diagnose is the presence of a tumor in the brain. This could cause the bleeding from the nose and eye and could account for the meowing. Sometimes an xray can give us hints of a brain tumor, but often an MRI is needed which can be very pricey.

If your vet finds that his blood pressure is normal they may consider trying him on some steroids to see if this can help reduce brain swelling.

I really hope he is ok!

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (21543 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (12822 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (6514 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (10429 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (9361 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (19801 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (23370 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (59654 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (14753 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (69202 views)