Wobbly after ear cleaning.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi,
The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass in her ear. One of the doctors mentioned I should bring her back and have her put under to explore it. When I brought her in yesterday, I saw a different vet. She took Tigger in the back room to look at it. Before I knew it, I heard her howling. She was shortly brought back and the Dr told me the ear way mass "was gone". (Not that we got it out) Tigger was extremely traumatized. She hissed at me and bit and was terrified. She smelled like Vinegar and seemed to have some in her eye. I took her home, bathed her eye and went to work. When I came home, I found that she would fall over when she tried to walk. I called Dr; she said cats are sensative and could be 36 hours before she stopped being dizzy. She's not much better this morning. I asked Dr if she may have damaged Tigger's ear, she said not likely. I wonder too if she may have pushed mass down deeper? What would be expectation regarding recovering her balance after an event like this? When would I conclude that she's not recovering as she should? Are there possible things you would suspect - i.e. damage to her ear drum, etc? I'm fairly hesitant to bring her back; she's so terrified already - if I put her back in that carrier, she may die of fear. She's very small, only 7 pounds and has a bob tail. I've heard that cats with Bob tails have more problems with balance. I'm so worried, any advice would be very helpful.
thanks,
Dorrie

Hi Dorrie, Sorry for the delay...I was in surgery when your question came through.

I'm sorry to hear that Tigger had such a traumatic experience!

It sounds like she had an otoscopic exam. This is where a plastic scope with a light attached is directed down the ear canal to help the vet see what is in there. Most cats do not like this exam and it is not uncommon to have a bit of a struggle.

It is unlikely that a mass was pushed further down into the ear. It sounds like whatever the first vet was seeing is no longer there.

However, I am a little concerned about the balance issues that Tigger is having. Any time we do an otoscopic exam on a cat that is not cooperating we run the risk of damaging the eardrum. In many cases there is simply swelling around the eardrum area and the animal gets better in a few days. However, sometimes it can take a few weeks and occasionally (rarely) there is permanent damage.

There are other things that can cause the symptoms you are describing such as an inner ear infection, but this sounds unlikely as it happened immediately following an exam.

Tigger may need to have her ear examined under an anesthetic to determine if the drum is damaged. Or, your vet may want to try a course of some anti-inflammatory medication (i.e. steroids) to help her. It is not a bad idea to get an opinion from another vet if you have that option.

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much. I'm going to bring her to another Vet. I'm very concerned about them fighting her the way they did. She should have been put under to reduce the trauma.

It's always a tough call, but I am lately doing more sedation for stressed out animals. It costs a little more, but it makes everybody's life so much easier.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (13965 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16637 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7328 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7603 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5912 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (11543 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (36461 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (16106 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (18084 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (10629 views)