Wobbly after ear cleaning.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Hi,
The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass in her ear. One of the doctors mentioned I should bring her back and have her put under to explore it. When I brought her in yesterday, I saw a different vet. She took Tigger in the back room to look at it. Before I knew it, I heard her howling. She was shortly brought back and the Dr told me the ear way mass "was gone". (Not that we got it out) Tigger was extremely traumatized. She hissed at me and bit and was terrified. She smelled like Vinegar and seemed to have some in her eye. I took her home, bathed her eye and went to work. When I came home, I found that she would fall over when she tried to walk. I called Dr; she said cats are sensative and could be 36 hours before she stopped being dizzy. She's not much better this morning. I asked Dr if she may have damaged Tigger's ear, she said not likely. I wonder too if she may have pushed mass down deeper? What would be expectation regarding recovering her balance after an event like this? When would I conclude that she's not recovering as she should? Are there possible things you would suspect - i.e. damage to her ear drum, etc? I'm fairly hesitant to bring her back; she's so terrified already - if I put her back in that carrier, she may die of fear. She's very small, only 7 pounds and has a bob tail. I've heard that cats with Bob tails have more problems with balance. I'm so worried, any advice would be very helpful.
thanks,
Dorrie

Hi Dorrie, Sorry for the delay...I was in surgery when your question came through.

I'm sorry to hear that Tigger had such a traumatic experience!

It sounds like she had an otoscopic exam. This is where a plastic scope with a light attached is directed down the ear canal to help the vet see what is in there. Most cats do not like this exam and it is not uncommon to have a bit of a struggle.

It is unlikely that a mass was pushed further down into the ear. It sounds like whatever the first vet was seeing is no longer there.

However, I am a little concerned about the balance issues that Tigger is having. Any time we do an otoscopic exam on a cat that is not cooperating we run the risk of damaging the eardrum. In many cases there is simply swelling around the eardrum area and the animal gets better in a few days. However, sometimes it can take a few weeks and occasionally (rarely) there is permanent damage.

There are other things that can cause the symptoms you are describing such as an inner ear infection, but this sounds unlikely as it happened immediately following an exam.

Tigger may need to have her ear examined under an anesthetic to determine if the drum is damaged. Or, your vet may want to try a course of some anti-inflammatory medication (i.e. steroids) to help her. It is not a bad idea to get an opinion from another vet if you have that option.

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much. I'm going to bring her to another Vet. I'm very concerned about them fighting her the way they did. She should have been put under to reduce the trauma.

It's always a tough call, but I am lately doing more sedation for stressed out animals. It costs a little more, but it makes everybody's life so much easier.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7614 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9209 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12638 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4867 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (9969 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (9730 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7483 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (73363 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9234 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5642 views)