Bleeding after whelping.

Breed: pitbull
My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's suppose to bleed for awhile after having a litter when their first born but she stopped since then and just started back up again recently but this time she's bleeding a lot and its a dark color that she usually gets while she's in heat. Do you think she's starting her heat cycle again so soon? Pups were born June 28th, 2010..I only expected her to have her heat cycle 5-6 months later but I'm not sure why she's bleeding now. Was guna call the vet in the morning but thought I'd try here first. I need to know asap so that way i can keep both of my males away from her as i don't want to breed her again so soon. She's not swollen or anything but she is flagging a little at my youngest male (9 months) and towards her pups too when they play with her. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is quite uncommon for a dog to go into heat only 2 months after having her pups, but it is possible.

There are two things that I think about when I hear of bleeding two months after having puppies. The first is an infection in the uterus. This is not likely to be pyometra (which is a very serious life threatening emergency) because she is so young. However, it could be a metritis which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The next possibility is something called subinvolution of placental sites or SIPS. When this happens it means that the places on the placenta where pups used to be did not heal over properly and are bleeding. If this is SIPS sometimes the bleeding continues off and on until the next heat cycle. The only other alternative to stop the bleeding is to spay her.

I would highly advise a vet visit. They will likely insert a swab and look under the microscope. This test will tell us whether this is an infection, an early heat or SIPS.

I hope all is well!

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8542 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (35041 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (16977 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (24472 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32313 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8432 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (17102 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13529 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12884 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8495 views)