Bleeding after whelping.

Breed: pitbull
My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's suppose to bleed for awhile after having a litter when their first born but she stopped since then and just started back up again recently but this time she's bleeding a lot and its a dark color that she usually gets while she's in heat. Do you think she's starting her heat cycle again so soon? Pups were born June 28th, 2010..I only expected her to have her heat cycle 5-6 months later but I'm not sure why she's bleeding now. Was guna call the vet in the morning but thought I'd try here first. I need to know asap so that way i can keep both of my males away from her as i don't want to breed her again so soon. She's not swollen or anything but she is flagging a little at my youngest male (9 months) and towards her pups too when they play with her. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is quite uncommon for a dog to go into heat only 2 months after having her pups, but it is possible.

There are two things that I think about when I hear of bleeding two months after having puppies. The first is an infection in the uterus. This is not likely to be pyometra (which is a very serious life threatening emergency) because she is so young. However, it could be a metritis which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The next possibility is something called subinvolution of placental sites or SIPS. When this happens it means that the places on the placenta where pups used to be did not heal over properly and are bleeding. If this is SIPS sometimes the bleeding continues off and on until the next heat cycle. The only other alternative to stop the bleeding is to spay her.

I would highly advise a vet visit. They will likely insert a swab and look under the microscope. This test will tell us whether this is an infection, an early heat or SIPS.

I hope all is well!

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6562 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16338 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15099 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19939 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25934 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5385 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (17551 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11390 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9023 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4980 views)