Bleeding after whelping.

Breed: pitbull
My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's suppose to bleed for awhile after having a litter when their first born but she stopped since then and just started back up again recently but this time she's bleeding a lot and its a dark color that she usually gets while she's in heat. Do you think she's starting her heat cycle again so soon? Pups were born June 28th, 2010..I only expected her to have her heat cycle 5-6 months later but I'm not sure why she's bleeding now. Was guna call the vet in the morning but thought I'd try here first. I need to know asap so that way i can keep both of my males away from her as i don't want to breed her again so soon. She's not swollen or anything but she is flagging a little at my youngest male (9 months) and towards her pups too when they play with her. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is quite uncommon for a dog to go into heat only 2 months after having her pups, but it is possible.

There are two things that I think about when I hear of bleeding two months after having puppies. The first is an infection in the uterus. This is not likely to be pyometra (which is a very serious life threatening emergency) because she is so young. However, it could be a metritis which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The next possibility is something called subinvolution of placental sites or SIPS. When this happens it means that the places on the placenta where pups used to be did not heal over properly and are bleeding. If this is SIPS sometimes the bleeding continues off and on until the next heat cycle. The only other alternative to stop the bleeding is to spay her.

I would highly advise a vet visit. They will likely insert a swab and look under the microscope. This test will tell us whether this is an infection, an early heat or SIPS.

I hope all is well!

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8850 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10550 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (10853 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6434 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16833 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5275 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7049 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14451 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28140 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (11438 views)