Bleeding after whelping.

Breed: pitbull
My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's suppose to bleed for awhile after having a litter when their first born but she stopped since then and just started back up again recently but this time she's bleeding a lot and its a dark color that she usually gets while she's in heat. Do you think she's starting her heat cycle again so soon? Pups were born June 28th, 2010..I only expected her to have her heat cycle 5-6 months later but I'm not sure why she's bleeding now. Was guna call the vet in the morning but thought I'd try here first. I need to know asap so that way i can keep both of my males away from her as i don't want to breed her again so soon. She's not swollen or anything but she is flagging a little at my youngest male (9 months) and towards her pups too when they play with her. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is quite uncommon for a dog to go into heat only 2 months after having her pups, but it is possible.

There are two things that I think about when I hear of bleeding two months after having puppies. The first is an infection in the uterus. This is not likely to be pyometra (which is a very serious life threatening emergency) because she is so young. However, it could be a metritis which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The next possibility is something called subinvolution of placental sites or SIPS. When this happens it means that the places on the placenta where pups used to be did not heal over properly and are bleeding. If this is SIPS sometimes the bleeding continues off and on until the next heat cycle. The only other alternative to stop the bleeding is to spay her.

I would highly advise a vet visit. They will likely insert a swab and look under the microscope. This test will tell us whether this is an infection, an early heat or SIPS.

I hope all is well!

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9460 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8002 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8089 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10647 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11809 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (22577 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14773 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6550 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (16846 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20923 views)