Bleeding after whelping.

Breed: pitbull
My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's suppose to bleed for awhile after having a litter when their first born but she stopped since then and just started back up again recently but this time she's bleeding a lot and its a dark color that she usually gets while she's in heat. Do you think she's starting her heat cycle again so soon? Pups were born June 28th, 2010..I only expected her to have her heat cycle 5-6 months later but I'm not sure why she's bleeding now. Was guna call the vet in the morning but thought I'd try here first. I need to know asap so that way i can keep both of my males away from her as i don't want to breed her again so soon. She's not swollen or anything but she is flagging a little at my youngest male (9 months) and towards her pups too when they play with her. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is quite uncommon for a dog to go into heat only 2 months after having her pups, but it is possible.

There are two things that I think about when I hear of bleeding two months after having puppies. The first is an infection in the uterus. This is not likely to be pyometra (which is a very serious life threatening emergency) because she is so young. However, it could be a metritis which can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The next possibility is something called subinvolution of placental sites or SIPS. When this happens it means that the places on the placenta where pups used to be did not heal over properly and are bleeding. If this is SIPS sometimes the bleeding continues off and on until the next heat cycle. The only other alternative to stop the bleeding is to spay her.

I would highly advise a vet visit. They will likely insert a swab and look under the microscope. This test will tell us whether this is an infection, an early heat or SIPS.

I hope all is well!

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10947 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14727 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (10105 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12483 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25869 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (43621 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6727 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45805 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (12243 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14704 views)