Vomiting foam and not eating.

Breed: orange cat
Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the past 12-24 hours. He has not eaten and he has vomited approximately 10-15 times. He gags and throws up a white foamy substance. He does not even go near his food. He has never been sick before. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and does not go out at all. He was neutered as a kitten and has lived with us since birth.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan...I'm so sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not feeling well.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for a cat to vomit. It's often hard to tell the cause without doing bloodwork.

Some cats can get quite an upset stomach due to a change in food or a new treat. However, when an older cat starts to vomit and not want to eat I get really worried about more serious things such as kidney disease, hyperthyroidism or liver disease. Another possibility is pancreatitis. We often don't know the cause of pancreatitis in a cat.

Is he urinating ok? If he is straining to urinate at all then a urinary tract blockage could be the cause and this is very serious and requires emergency vet care.

The most important thing right now for Pumpkin is to get him to eat. If a cat goes a few days without eating they can develop fatty liver which is very serious. You can try encouraging an appetite by giving him a smelly canned cat food such as Fancy Feast. You can increase the odor by heating it in the microwave.

However, if he goes more than 24-48 hours without eating he really does need to see a vet. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and will likely want to do some bloodwork. If it looks like something minor they may administer some medications by injection to help settle his stomach. Or, they may decide that he needs to stay on iv fluids for a day or two to help him out.

I really hope he does ok!

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9816 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11078 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15126 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (30346 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7795 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (48039 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (113559 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26840 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (100894 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6485 views)