Vomiting foam and not eating.

Breed: orange cat
Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the past 12-24 hours. He has not eaten and he has vomited approximately 10-15 times. He gags and throws up a white foamy substance. He does not even go near his food. He has never been sick before. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and does not go out at all. He was neutered as a kitten and has lived with us since birth.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan...I'm so sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not feeling well.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for a cat to vomit. It's often hard to tell the cause without doing bloodwork.

Some cats can get quite an upset stomach due to a change in food or a new treat. However, when an older cat starts to vomit and not want to eat I get really worried about more serious things such as kidney disease, hyperthyroidism or liver disease. Another possibility is pancreatitis. We often don't know the cause of pancreatitis in a cat.

Is he urinating ok? If he is straining to urinate at all then a urinary tract blockage could be the cause and this is very serious and requires emergency vet care.

The most important thing right now for Pumpkin is to get him to eat. If a cat goes a few days without eating they can develop fatty liver which is very serious. You can try encouraging an appetite by giving him a smelly canned cat food such as Fancy Feast. You can increase the odor by heating it in the microwave.

However, if he goes more than 24-48 hours without eating he really does need to see a vet. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and will likely want to do some bloodwork. If it looks like something minor they may administer some medications by injection to help settle his stomach. Or, they may decide that he needs to stay on iv fluids for a day or two to help him out.

I really hope he does ok!

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (6237 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (21101 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (10341 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (12296 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (10314 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (8697 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5834 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8508 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (13995 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (17462 views)