Vomiting foam and not eating.

Breed: orange cat
Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the past 12-24 hours. He has not eaten and he has vomited approximately 10-15 times. He gags and throws up a white foamy substance. He does not even go near his food. He has never been sick before. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and does not go out at all. He was neutered as a kitten and has lived with us since birth.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan...I'm so sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not feeling well.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for a cat to vomit. It's often hard to tell the cause without doing bloodwork.

Some cats can get quite an upset stomach due to a change in food or a new treat. However, when an older cat starts to vomit and not want to eat I get really worried about more serious things such as kidney disease, hyperthyroidism or liver disease. Another possibility is pancreatitis. We often don't know the cause of pancreatitis in a cat.

Is he urinating ok? If he is straining to urinate at all then a urinary tract blockage could be the cause and this is very serious and requires emergency vet care.

The most important thing right now for Pumpkin is to get him to eat. If a cat goes a few days without eating they can develop fatty liver which is very serious. You can try encouraging an appetite by giving him a smelly canned cat food such as Fancy Feast. You can increase the odor by heating it in the microwave.

However, if he goes more than 24-48 hours without eating he really does need to see a vet. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and will likely want to do some bloodwork. If it looks like something minor they may administer some medications by injection to help settle his stomach. Or, they may decide that he needs to stay on iv fluids for a day or two to help him out.

I really hope he does ok!

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (22710 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (45017 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (16777 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (7589 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (13379 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (9466 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7617 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (7321 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (14656 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (11830 views)