Vomiting foam and not eating.

Breed: orange cat
Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the past 12-24 hours. He has not eaten and he has vomited approximately 10-15 times. He gags and throws up a white foamy substance. He does not even go near his food. He has never been sick before. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and does not go out at all. He was neutered as a kitten and has lived with us since birth.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan...I'm so sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not feeling well.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for a cat to vomit. It's often hard to tell the cause without doing bloodwork.

Some cats can get quite an upset stomach due to a change in food or a new treat. However, when an older cat starts to vomit and not want to eat I get really worried about more serious things such as kidney disease, hyperthyroidism or liver disease. Another possibility is pancreatitis. We often don't know the cause of pancreatitis in a cat.

Is he urinating ok? If he is straining to urinate at all then a urinary tract blockage could be the cause and this is very serious and requires emergency vet care.

The most important thing right now for Pumpkin is to get him to eat. If a cat goes a few days without eating they can develop fatty liver which is very serious. You can try encouraging an appetite by giving him a smelly canned cat food such as Fancy Feast. You can increase the odor by heating it in the microwave.

However, if he goes more than 24-48 hours without eating he really does need to see a vet. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and will likely want to do some bloodwork. If it looks like something minor they may administer some medications by injection to help settle his stomach. Or, they may decide that he needs to stay on iv fluids for a day or two to help him out.

I really hope he does ok!

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (5902 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8222 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (16115 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (23855 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (12838 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (25318 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18713 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29086 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (30492 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (72652 views)