Vomiting foam and not eating.

Breed: orange cat
Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the past 12-24 hours. He has not eaten and he has vomited approximately 10-15 times. He gags and throws up a white foamy substance. He does not even go near his food. He has never been sick before. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and does not go out at all. He was neutered as a kitten and has lived with us since birth.

Thank you
Susan

Hi Susan...I'm so sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not feeling well.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for a cat to vomit. It's often hard to tell the cause without doing bloodwork.

Some cats can get quite an upset stomach due to a change in food or a new treat. However, when an older cat starts to vomit and not want to eat I get really worried about more serious things such as kidney disease, hyperthyroidism or liver disease. Another possibility is pancreatitis. We often don't know the cause of pancreatitis in a cat.

Is he urinating ok? If he is straining to urinate at all then a urinary tract blockage could be the cause and this is very serious and requires emergency vet care.

The most important thing right now for Pumpkin is to get him to eat. If a cat goes a few days without eating they can develop fatty liver which is very serious. You can try encouraging an appetite by giving him a smelly canned cat food such as Fancy Feast. You can increase the odor by heating it in the microwave.

However, if he goes more than 24-48 hours without eating he really does need to see a vet. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and will likely want to do some bloodwork. If it looks like something minor they may administer some medications by injection to help settle his stomach. Or, they may decide that he needs to stay on iv fluids for a day or two to help him out.

I really hope he does ok!

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11457 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11455 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (19545 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (136824 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6865 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4868 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11035 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (7278 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7154 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23627 views)