FIP? Fever and fluid.

Breed: shorthair -tuxedo
We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming himself. He was also making a jutting head movement when he swallowed, similar to the movements cats make before they vomit.

The vet found he had a fever of 104.5. He took x rays and found fluid in his abdomen and suspected FIP. An ultrasound did not show any masses or obstructions and his heart looked fine. His blood work was also good. We are still waiting for the tests of the abdominal fluid because the lab lost Mo's first sample and did not inform the vet for a full week.

We put him on prednisone which helped a lot for a week and less so after that. Then we added mirtazipine and cerenia to try to encourage him to eat more. He is still eating very little but the cerenia did seem to improve his mood.

My question is this: The vet did not have an explanation for the problem Mo is having with swallowing, and seemed to think it was irrelevant compared to the FIP. I understand that FIP is the most likely reason for ascites in a cat this age, but I also see that the swallowing problem seems to be what is directly interfering with his eating. Is there something else that could be causing this kind of swallowing problem, fever and fluid in the abdomen? Or is the swallowing likely a symptom of FIP? I am so afraid we are missing something that could possibly save him. Thank you so much for your time and your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about what is happening with Mo. The symptoms certainly do sound like FIP. Any time we see a fever in a young cat and abdominal fluid, FIP is very likely.

It's hard to say why Mo is having these swallowing issues. I did a search for you on Veterinary Information Network where thousands of vets discuss their difficult cases. I searched for "FIP" and "swallowing" and I found several cases where cats with FIP had difficulty swallowing. Many described it as gagging. I can't say for certain why this is, but it's possible that FIP causes lesions to form around the tonsils?

There is a lot that we don't know about FIP. We do know that there is a wet and a dry form and some cats get both. With a belly full of fluid, wet FIP is likely present, but the dry form could be affecting Mo's tonsils.

I could make a case for other things going on but they would be much less likely than FIP. One possibility would be electrocution. If a cat chews on an electrical wire this can cause burns at the back of the mouth which can interfere with swallowing. It mostly causes fluid in the chest though, not the abdomen, but it is possible. It's a long shot though.

Another possibility would be if Mo had swallowed something caustic like bleach or another chemical. It could cause burns in the throat/esophagus that could cause swallowing problems. But, in order for it to cause fluid in the abdomen this would mean that there was intestinal or stomach perforation and that would be very bad.

From what you have described I fear that FIP is most likely. I think that the swallowing issue is likely related to the FIP (mostly because of the cases that have been reported on VIN). Unfortunately, as you likely know, we don't have a cure for FIP.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (55430 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12667 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13679 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36612 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9785 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (10703 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (12228 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14486 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (66870 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5894 views)