FIP? Fever and fluid.

Breed: shorthair -tuxedo
We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming himself. He was also making a jutting head movement when he swallowed, similar to the movements cats make before they vomit.

The vet found he had a fever of 104.5. He took x rays and found fluid in his abdomen and suspected FIP. An ultrasound did not show any masses or obstructions and his heart looked fine. His blood work was also good. We are still waiting for the tests of the abdominal fluid because the lab lost Mo's first sample and did not inform the vet for a full week.

We put him on prednisone which helped a lot for a week and less so after that. Then we added mirtazipine and cerenia to try to encourage him to eat more. He is still eating very little but the cerenia did seem to improve his mood.

My question is this: The vet did not have an explanation for the problem Mo is having with swallowing, and seemed to think it was irrelevant compared to the FIP. I understand that FIP is the most likely reason for ascites in a cat this age, but I also see that the swallowing problem seems to be what is directly interfering with his eating. Is there something else that could be causing this kind of swallowing problem, fever and fluid in the abdomen? Or is the swallowing likely a symptom of FIP? I am so afraid we are missing something that could possibly save him. Thank you so much for your time and your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about what is happening with Mo. The symptoms certainly do sound like FIP. Any time we see a fever in a young cat and abdominal fluid, FIP is very likely.

It's hard to say why Mo is having these swallowing issues. I did a search for you on Veterinary Information Network where thousands of vets discuss their difficult cases. I searched for "FIP" and "swallowing" and I found several cases where cats with FIP had difficulty swallowing. Many described it as gagging. I can't say for certain why this is, but it's possible that FIP causes lesions to form around the tonsils?

There is a lot that we don't know about FIP. We do know that there is a wet and a dry form and some cats get both. With a belly full of fluid, wet FIP is likely present, but the dry form could be affecting Mo's tonsils.

I could make a case for other things going on but they would be much less likely than FIP. One possibility would be electrocution. If a cat chews on an electrical wire this can cause burns at the back of the mouth which can interfere with swallowing. It mostly causes fluid in the chest though, not the abdomen, but it is possible. It's a long shot though.

Another possibility would be if Mo had swallowed something caustic like bleach or another chemical. It could cause burns in the throat/esophagus that could cause swallowing problems. But, in order for it to cause fluid in the abdomen this would mean that there was intestinal or stomach perforation and that would be very bad.

From what you have described I fear that FIP is most likely. I think that the swallowing issue is likely related to the FIP (mostly because of the cases that have been reported on VIN). Unfortunately, as you likely know, we don't have a cure for FIP.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (3963 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (5377 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (13873 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (8598 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (6949 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (13255 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4260 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (14313 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (13040 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (6625 views)