Hypothermic dog.

Breed: Black lab
Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5 minutes, I rushed him home and pored warm water over him and dried him with warm towels.

He was weak and wanted to stay laying down when he tried to get up he screamed in pain.

In the morning I let him out, and he seemed to be back to normal but I noticed he couldn't go to the bathroom but I didn't pay attention to it, later on in the day he began vomiting bile and after that he's been hiding out in his dog house and won't touch his food, he is no longer play full and he's really depressed like hes in pain.

The next day I let him out and he urinated blood, I haven't seen his stool I don't even know if he has gone #2 since he fell threw the ice.

I know this could be extremely serious but there is no way for me to get him to a vet I'm in a remote location and the vet is around 130 miles away. Every where I tried to call is closed I'm sure I can find help before you answer this email but ill be waiting for a reply non the less, thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy fell through the ice. 5 minutes is a long time for an animal to be submerged in icy water.

There are many things that can happen to the body after a prolonged period of hypothermia. When the body gets this cold, there can be problems with the blood flow to certain organs. It is possible that what you are seeing now are symptoms of kidney damage.

Hypothermia can also severely depress the immune system and make the dog more susceptible to an infection. But, it should take more than a few days to see symptoms of an infection (i.e. a bladder infection.

Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can be a result of hypothermia as well. This could explain the vomiting and lack of appetite.

Some dogs will have severe breathing problems after being submerged in cold water as well, but it doesn't sound like this is Buddy's issue.

Unfortunately the only way to tell what kind of damage his body has received is to have some blood tests done on him. It's hard to say what treatment he needs if you are not able to get him to a vet. Ideally, if you can make the drive, a vet visit is the best idea.

I wish I could give you more information. I really hope he does ok!

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (11626 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (22155 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (21106 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (8960 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (23358 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (32896 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (13702 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (10739 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (23858 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (17083 views)