Hypothermic dog.

Breed: Black lab
Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5 minutes, I rushed him home and pored warm water over him and dried him with warm towels.

He was weak and wanted to stay laying down when he tried to get up he screamed in pain.

In the morning I let him out, and he seemed to be back to normal but I noticed he couldn't go to the bathroom but I didn't pay attention to it, later on in the day he began vomiting bile and after that he's been hiding out in his dog house and won't touch his food, he is no longer play full and he's really depressed like hes in pain.

The next day I let him out and he urinated blood, I haven't seen his stool I don't even know if he has gone #2 since he fell threw the ice.

I know this could be extremely serious but there is no way for me to get him to a vet I'm in a remote location and the vet is around 130 miles away. Every where I tried to call is closed I'm sure I can find help before you answer this email but ill be waiting for a reply non the less, thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy fell through the ice. 5 minutes is a long time for an animal to be submerged in icy water.

There are many things that can happen to the body after a prolonged period of hypothermia. When the body gets this cold, there can be problems with the blood flow to certain organs. It is possible that what you are seeing now are symptoms of kidney damage.

Hypothermia can also severely depress the immune system and make the dog more susceptible to an infection. But, it should take more than a few days to see symptoms of an infection (i.e. a bladder infection.

Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can be a result of hypothermia as well. This could explain the vomiting and lack of appetite.

Some dogs will have severe breathing problems after being submerged in cold water as well, but it doesn't sound like this is Buddy's issue.

Unfortunately the only way to tell what kind of damage his body has received is to have some blood tests done on him. It's hard to say what treatment he needs if you are not able to get him to a vet. Ideally, if you can make the drive, a vet visit is the best idea.

I wish I could give you more information. I really hope he does ok!

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (19593 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (42703 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (7702 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (7522 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (10548 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7115 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8078 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (12758 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4642 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7292 views)