Hypothermic dog.

Breed: Black lab
Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5 minutes, I rushed him home and pored warm water over him and dried him with warm towels.

He was weak and wanted to stay laying down when he tried to get up he screamed in pain.

In the morning I let him out, and he seemed to be back to normal but I noticed he couldn't go to the bathroom but I didn't pay attention to it, later on in the day he began vomiting bile and after that he's been hiding out in his dog house and won't touch his food, he is no longer play full and he's really depressed like hes in pain.

The next day I let him out and he urinated blood, I haven't seen his stool I don't even know if he has gone #2 since he fell threw the ice.

I know this could be extremely serious but there is no way for me to get him to a vet I'm in a remote location and the vet is around 130 miles away. Every where I tried to call is closed I'm sure I can find help before you answer this email but ill be waiting for a reply non the less, thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy fell through the ice. 5 minutes is a long time for an animal to be submerged in icy water.

There are many things that can happen to the body after a prolonged period of hypothermia. When the body gets this cold, there can be problems with the blood flow to certain organs. It is possible that what you are seeing now are symptoms of kidney damage.

Hypothermia can also severely depress the immune system and make the dog more susceptible to an infection. But, it should take more than a few days to see symptoms of an infection (i.e. a bladder infection.

Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can be a result of hypothermia as well. This could explain the vomiting and lack of appetite.

Some dogs will have severe breathing problems after being submerged in cold water as well, but it doesn't sound like this is Buddy's issue.

Unfortunately the only way to tell what kind of damage his body has received is to have some blood tests done on him. It's hard to say what treatment he needs if you are not able to get him to a vet. Ideally, if you can make the drive, a vet visit is the best idea.

I wish I could give you more information. I really hope he does ok!

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19297 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7416 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7705 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (14852 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10899 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7473 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (73511 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10111 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (25877 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (12520 views)