Hypothermic dog.

Breed: Black lab
Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5 minutes, I rushed him home and pored warm water over him and dried him with warm towels.

He was weak and wanted to stay laying down when he tried to get up he screamed in pain.

In the morning I let him out, and he seemed to be back to normal but I noticed he couldn't go to the bathroom but I didn't pay attention to it, later on in the day he began vomiting bile and after that he's been hiding out in his dog house and won't touch his food, he is no longer play full and he's really depressed like hes in pain.

The next day I let him out and he urinated blood, I haven't seen his stool I don't even know if he has gone #2 since he fell threw the ice.

I know this could be extremely serious but there is no way for me to get him to a vet I'm in a remote location and the vet is around 130 miles away. Every where I tried to call is closed I'm sure I can find help before you answer this email but ill be waiting for a reply non the less, thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy fell through the ice. 5 minutes is a long time for an animal to be submerged in icy water.

There are many things that can happen to the body after a prolonged period of hypothermia. When the body gets this cold, there can be problems with the blood flow to certain organs. It is possible that what you are seeing now are symptoms of kidney damage.

Hypothermia can also severely depress the immune system and make the dog more susceptible to an infection. But, it should take more than a few days to see symptoms of an infection (i.e. a bladder infection.

Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can be a result of hypothermia as well. This could explain the vomiting and lack of appetite.

Some dogs will have severe breathing problems after being submerged in cold water as well, but it doesn't sound like this is Buddy's issue.

Unfortunately the only way to tell what kind of damage his body has received is to have some blood tests done on him. It's hard to say what treatment he needs if you are not able to get him to a vet. Ideally, if you can make the drive, a vet visit is the best idea.

I wish I could give you more information. I really hope he does ok!

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (27369 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (14350 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (11321 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6687 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (12750 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (6353 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (15216 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (186205 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (21159 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (242403 views)