Hypothermic dog.

Breed: Black lab
Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5 minutes, I rushed him home and pored warm water over him and dried him with warm towels.

He was weak and wanted to stay laying down when he tried to get up he screamed in pain.

In the morning I let him out, and he seemed to be back to normal but I noticed he couldn't go to the bathroom but I didn't pay attention to it, later on in the day he began vomiting bile and after that he's been hiding out in his dog house and won't touch his food, he is no longer play full and he's really depressed like hes in pain.

The next day I let him out and he urinated blood, I haven't seen his stool I don't even know if he has gone #2 since he fell threw the ice.

I know this could be extremely serious but there is no way for me to get him to a vet I'm in a remote location and the vet is around 130 miles away. Every where I tried to call is closed I'm sure I can find help before you answer this email but ill be waiting for a reply non the less, thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy fell through the ice. 5 minutes is a long time for an animal to be submerged in icy water.

There are many things that can happen to the body after a prolonged period of hypothermia. When the body gets this cold, there can be problems with the blood flow to certain organs. It is possible that what you are seeing now are symptoms of kidney damage.

Hypothermia can also severely depress the immune system and make the dog more susceptible to an infection. But, it should take more than a few days to see symptoms of an infection (i.e. a bladder infection.

Pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can be a result of hypothermia as well. This could explain the vomiting and lack of appetite.

Some dogs will have severe breathing problems after being submerged in cold water as well, but it doesn't sound like this is Buddy's issue.

Unfortunately the only way to tell what kind of damage his body has received is to have some blood tests done on him. It's hard to say what treatment he needs if you are not able to get him to a vet. Ideally, if you can make the drive, a vet visit is the best idea.

I wish I could give you more information. I really hope he does ok!

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8620 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10902 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10425 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5993 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (18994 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9582 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12828 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32321 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7175 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (42241 views)