Cat won't pee or poop.

Breed: DLH
Hi there,
I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had difficulty going to the bathroom. I have to take her to the litterbox on a daily basis. Somedays she will go, other days she will not. She will hold her poop so long that eventually she ends up running around the house hissing at herself as she releases gas and poops as she is running. Sometimes she is constipated other times she has very bad diarrhea. She can sometimes hold her pee for up to three days! Other than those times she is generally a happy cat; happy to do her own thing, go outside, and sleep in favourite places. Two days in a row now she has peed on beds. First on our bed by my head, and then on the guest bed that SHE sleeps on... in HER spot! I have taken her to the box several times but she refuses to go. The box is always kept clean, quiet, in the same location, and we have not switched litter types.

When she has her episodes she is very stressed. At those times I am at a loss and sometimes wonder if putting her down would be the best thing for her :( My vet has run $1000 worth of tests and there is nothing wrong with her. We have tried antibiotics, changing food etc... This has been five years!! What do we do? She is part of our family but is also ruining our house!!

Goodness, I am sorry to hear that Daisy is having these problems. This is a tough question for me to answer, especially considering that your vet who has done lots of tests can't give you an answer.

I have a couple of suggestions for you that you can talk to your vet about if you haven't gone over these already.

The first is the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. IBD can cause diarrhea or constipation and can cause pain as well. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose it is with intestinal biopsies. However, if I am thinking a cat has IBD I will sometimes try them on a course of prednisone which usually really helps.

The next possibility is to ask your vet about lumbosacral syndrome. This is a condition where a cat has arthritis at the end of the spine where the tail joins the body. This arthritis pain is very uncomfortable, especially when a cat is trying to squat in the litter box. If this is suspected they may try her on a course of anti-inflammatory medication to see if there is improvement.

You may also want to try adding a brand new litter box in a different location in case for some reason she has associated the previous box with pain.

If the above things don't work then if this were my case I would likely try an anti-anxiety medication such as amitryptiline.

I really hope she does better soon!

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (22231 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (66442 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (24714 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (8890 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (65502 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (25394 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (17891 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (18325 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (22476 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (14284 views)