Cat won't pee or poop.

Breed: DLH
Hi there,
I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had difficulty going to the bathroom. I have to take her to the litterbox on a daily basis. Somedays she will go, other days she will not. She will hold her poop so long that eventually she ends up running around the house hissing at herself as she releases gas and poops as she is running. Sometimes she is constipated other times she has very bad diarrhea. She can sometimes hold her pee for up to three days! Other than those times she is generally a happy cat; happy to do her own thing, go outside, and sleep in favourite places. Two days in a row now she has peed on beds. First on our bed by my head, and then on the guest bed that SHE sleeps on... in HER spot! I have taken her to the box several times but she refuses to go. The box is always kept clean, quiet, in the same location, and we have not switched litter types.

When she has her episodes she is very stressed. At those times I am at a loss and sometimes wonder if putting her down would be the best thing for her :( My vet has run $1000 worth of tests and there is nothing wrong with her. We have tried antibiotics, changing food etc... This has been five years!! What do we do? She is part of our family but is also ruining our house!!

Goodness, I am sorry to hear that Daisy is having these problems. This is a tough question for me to answer, especially considering that your vet who has done lots of tests can't give you an answer.

I have a couple of suggestions for you that you can talk to your vet about if you haven't gone over these already.

The first is the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. IBD can cause diarrhea or constipation and can cause pain as well. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose it is with intestinal biopsies. However, if I am thinking a cat has IBD I will sometimes try them on a course of prednisone which usually really helps.

The next possibility is to ask your vet about lumbosacral syndrome. This is a condition where a cat has arthritis at the end of the spine where the tail joins the body. This arthritis pain is very uncomfortable, especially when a cat is trying to squat in the litter box. If this is suspected they may try her on a course of anti-inflammatory medication to see if there is improvement.

You may also want to try adding a brand new litter box in a different location in case for some reason she has associated the previous box with pain.

If the above things don't work then if this were my case I would likely try an anti-anxiety medication such as amitryptiline.

I really hope she does better soon!

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32536 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8050 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28482 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (12364 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (232383 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8396 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10850 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8567 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36489 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8371 views)