Vomiting dog.

Breed: Mixed
Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the normal time, something like 2 hours. Instead she is full for most of the day. This leads to vomiting. So we switched from 2 to 3 smaller meals a day, and put her on a all vegetarian diet which seems to have stopped most of the vomiting, but now she won't eat. We put hot water on the food to improve the smell, we've tried beef broth (even though she's on a veggie diet) and all to no avail. Our vet is at a loss and so our we. Do you have any ideas? We are willing to try other foods incase it's the food, but it seems part of it is the meat makes her sick. We had her on a sensitive diet salmon and sweet potato, and the Science Diet ID-She was fine on the ID but we can't afford to buy canned food like that. Also, we just took her in for her shots and they checked her stool, found 3 different bad bacteria (sorry can't remember the names) and so we put her on antibiotics, plus she gets a nausea pill sometimes to maybe take the sting out of her thinking the food is bad and therefore not eating it..did that make sense? Anyway, please let us know what you think.

Thanks
Neil Shepard

It sounds like you are having a frustrating problem with Lola! This is going to be a hard case for me to comment on without knowing more information, but I'll see what I can do.

It sounds like there is some sort of medical issue here rather than just that she doesn't like the food. It seems like your vet is saying she has slowed gastric emptying.

Has she had a barium series of xrays? This can often tell us where the problem is. It may be that she has a foreign object in her stomach which is filling her up.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is that your vet is trying to treat her for a bacteria in the stomach called helicobactor. It can be difficult to diagnose this. If I am suspecting it I usually treat it with a combination of amoxicillin, metronidazole and famotidine (pepcid).

Another thought....is your vet certain that Lola is vomiting and not regurgitating? If it is vomit there will be bile or foam along with the stomach contents. Regurgitation looks like a tube of food and comes from the esophagus. If it could be regurgitation it may be that she has a condition called megaesophagus.

Any time I have a dog with vague gastrointestinal symptoms I have a condition called hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's) in the back of my mind. You could ask your vet if this is a possibility and they can test for it.

Another possibility is chronic relapsing pancreatitis. A blood test called a PLI should help determine this.

If this were my case and none of the other conditions were present then I would likely be prescribing an anti-nausea medication such as metoclopramide (Reglan) to give once to 3 times per day.

I hope this information helps. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7229 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (31998 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (17932 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7666 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13382 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10085 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (6985 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30625 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (26645 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8363 views)