Vomiting dog.

Breed: Mixed
Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the normal time, something like 2 hours. Instead she is full for most of the day. This leads to vomiting. So we switched from 2 to 3 smaller meals a day, and put her on a all vegetarian diet which seems to have stopped most of the vomiting, but now she won't eat. We put hot water on the food to improve the smell, we've tried beef broth (even though she's on a veggie diet) and all to no avail. Our vet is at a loss and so our we. Do you have any ideas? We are willing to try other foods incase it's the food, but it seems part of it is the meat makes her sick. We had her on a sensitive diet salmon and sweet potato, and the Science Diet ID-She was fine on the ID but we can't afford to buy canned food like that. Also, we just took her in for her shots and they checked her stool, found 3 different bad bacteria (sorry can't remember the names) and so we put her on antibiotics, plus she gets a nausea pill sometimes to maybe take the sting out of her thinking the food is bad and therefore not eating it..did that make sense? Anyway, please let us know what you think.

Thanks
Neil Shepard

It sounds like you are having a frustrating problem with Lola! This is going to be a hard case for me to comment on without knowing more information, but I'll see what I can do.

It sounds like there is some sort of medical issue here rather than just that she doesn't like the food. It seems like your vet is saying she has slowed gastric emptying.

Has she had a barium series of xrays? This can often tell us where the problem is. It may be that she has a foreign object in her stomach which is filling her up.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is that your vet is trying to treat her for a bacteria in the stomach called helicobactor. It can be difficult to diagnose this. If I am suspecting it I usually treat it with a combination of amoxicillin, metronidazole and famotidine (pepcid).

Another thought....is your vet certain that Lola is vomiting and not regurgitating? If it is vomit there will be bile or foam along with the stomach contents. Regurgitation looks like a tube of food and comes from the esophagus. If it could be regurgitation it may be that she has a condition called megaesophagus.

Any time I have a dog with vague gastrointestinal symptoms I have a condition called hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's) in the back of my mind. You could ask your vet if this is a possibility and they can test for it.

Another possibility is chronic relapsing pancreatitis. A blood test called a PLI should help determine this.

If this were my case and none of the other conditions were present then I would likely be prescribing an anti-nausea medication such as metoclopramide (Reglan) to give once to 3 times per day.

I hope this information helps. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (18723 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (35572 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (10703 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11392 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19485 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11226 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (8430 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9821 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15090 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (17430 views)