Garlic or Vinegar for fleas?

Breed: colby/AmeRicAn pitt
My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went between her shoulders and up her neck it was julY 1st it is now the 18th And she has FLEAS again what can I do and is garlic safe to give her And what about vinegar I herD they keep fleas And ticks off. AnD if so how mUch she weighs 12-16 poundS

PLEASE HELP

ThAnk you

Misty and LADY

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustrating problem!

I have a theory for what is happening. It sounds like she was given either Advantage, Revolution, or Frontline which are all really good flea products. (If by some chance it was an over the counter pet store product then she really does need to have a prescription product.)

If a dog has had fleas for a while or if there were fleas in the house (or on other animals in the house) for a while then there will be flea eggs in the carpets or between the cracks on hardwood that are constantly hatching and then jumping on the dog. These are likely the fleas that you are seeing. However, they will die within 24 hours of jumping on to Lady because of the medication.

This is one of the reasons that we need to reapply the flea treatment every month for at least 3 months. Eventually, the flea problem in the house will stop. However, it is VERY important that every animal in the house is treated as well.

Also, if you live in an apartment building then you may need to treat Lady year round as new fleas can enter your apartment if there are other untreated animals in the building.

There is no benefit at all to using vinegar and please do not use garlic. It has very minor qualities that repel fleas slightly. However, garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells. It is never a good idea to give.

So, stick the medication your vet gave you. You may want to ask your vet to prescribe you a medication called Capstar to go along with it. This is a very inexpensive pill that you can give that will almost instantly kill any fleas you are seeing. Combined with the other medication it will speed up the process of being flea free!

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (8119 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (9486 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (15450 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (13542 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (40738 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (9155 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (31820 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13277 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (18161 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (8929 views)