Garlic or Vinegar for fleas?

Breed: colby/AmeRicAn pitt
My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went between her shoulders and up her neck it was julY 1st it is now the 18th And she has FLEAS again what can I do and is garlic safe to give her And what about vinegar I herD they keep fleas And ticks off. AnD if so how mUch she weighs 12-16 poundS

PLEASE HELP

ThAnk you

Misty and LADY

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustrating problem!

I have a theory for what is happening. It sounds like she was given either Advantage, Revolution, or Frontline which are all really good flea products. (If by some chance it was an over the counter pet store product then she really does need to have a prescription product.)

If a dog has had fleas for a while or if there were fleas in the house (or on other animals in the house) for a while then there will be flea eggs in the carpets or between the cracks on hardwood that are constantly hatching and then jumping on the dog. These are likely the fleas that you are seeing. However, they will die within 24 hours of jumping on to Lady because of the medication.

This is one of the reasons that we need to reapply the flea treatment every month for at least 3 months. Eventually, the flea problem in the house will stop. However, it is VERY important that every animal in the house is treated as well.

Also, if you live in an apartment building then you may need to treat Lady year round as new fleas can enter your apartment if there are other untreated animals in the building.

There is no benefit at all to using vinegar and please do not use garlic. It has very minor qualities that repel fleas slightly. However, garlic is toxic to a dog's red blood cells. It is never a good idea to give.

So, stick the medication your vet gave you. You may want to ask your vet to prescribe you a medication called Capstar to go along with it. This is a very inexpensive pill that you can give that will almost instantly kill any fleas you are seeing. Combined with the other medication it will speed up the process of being flea free!

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (17327 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (7882 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (11607 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (9085 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (6227 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33569 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (9227 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (7462 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12821 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (10542 views)