Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (8235 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (23197 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (9735 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (32142 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (7795 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (7836 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (7819 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (4738 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (9352 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (11183 views)