Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (8076 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (5350 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (26924 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (7759 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (2934 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (6255 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (7682 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (11169 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (4840 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (5326 views)