Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (14287 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (3392 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (9828 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (9176 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (7565 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (12233 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (4107 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (8131 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (9240 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (42136 views)