Are chicken bones bad for dogs?

Breed: Shepherd
Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some chicken bones last night and I think that this may be the problem. He also had some diarrhea with blood. I am worried that the chicken bones are cutting his intestines. Please help.

Hi, this is Dr. Marie here.

I have a few questions for you about "Bobby".

Is he still bright and alert?
Can you check his gums are they pink or white?
How is his appetite?

He still wants to play ball and seems to be happy. He doesn't want to eat as much as usual. His gums look pink.

OK, thanks for that info!

While I definitely don't recommend feeding chicken bones to a dog, they usually do get dissolved in the stomach and rarely cause an intestinal obstruction. However, any new food or treat (such as the chicken bones) can cause inflammation in the intestines which can cause diarrhea with blood.

There are many different causes for vomiting and diarrhea. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that he shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with his liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.

If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush him in to the vet right away. You can try fasting him for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If he keeps this down then feed him this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in his regular food.

Some dogs with mild stomach upset will benefit from pepcid. If you would like to try this there is information on pros and cons and dosing found here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If he is not bright then you can try giving him a small amount of "pedialyte" to get him through tonight and he should be seen in the morning. If you think he is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

Hope he does ok!

Is "pedialyte" a prescription thing?
How long before he stops having diarrhea?

by the way...thank you for getting back to us so quickly! We are very worried! Your help is saving us a trip to the emergency vet!

You're very welcome!

"Pedialyte" is available over the counter at any pharmacy.

The diarrhea should resolve right after the 24 hour period of fasting.

Remember though, if he does seem like he is getting worse then he should see the vet!

Thank you so much!

You're very welcome!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (8298 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (12626 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (15406 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (19369 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (11449 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (28624 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (8243 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (12774 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (8812 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (7495 views)