Are chicken bones bad for dogs?

Breed: Shepherd
Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some chicken bones last night and I think that this may be the problem. He also had some diarrhea with blood. I am worried that the chicken bones are cutting his intestines. Please help.

Hi, this is Dr. Marie here.

I have a few questions for you about "Bobby".

Is he still bright and alert?
Can you check his gums are they pink or white?
How is his appetite?

He still wants to play ball and seems to be happy. He doesn't want to eat as much as usual. His gums look pink.

OK, thanks for that info!

While I definitely don't recommend feeding chicken bones to a dog, they usually do get dissolved in the stomach and rarely cause an intestinal obstruction. However, any new food or treat (such as the chicken bones) can cause inflammation in the intestines which can cause diarrhea with blood.

There are many different causes for vomiting and diarrhea. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that he shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with his liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.

If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush him in to the vet right away. You can try fasting him for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If he keeps this down then feed him this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in his regular food.

Some dogs with mild stomach upset will benefit from pepcid. If you would like to try this there is information on pros and cons and dosing found here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If he is not bright then you can try giving him a small amount of "pedialyte" to get him through tonight and he should be seen in the morning. If you think he is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

Hope he does ok!

Is "pedialyte" a prescription thing?
How long before he stops having diarrhea?

by the way...thank you for getting back to us so quickly! We are very worried! Your help is saving us a trip to the emergency vet!

You're very welcome!

"Pedialyte" is available over the counter at any pharmacy.

The diarrhea should resolve right after the 24 hour period of fasting.

Remember though, if he does seem like he is getting worse then he should see the vet!

Thank you so much!

You're very welcome!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (32964 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9076 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (13194 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9468 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (12880 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (13600 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9389 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (9726 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6563 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (16548 views)