Dime sized sore above eye.

Breed: Devon Rex
Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide (doesn't mind)and Eqyss mega--tek for skin, coat and paws (he hates). Since he is a devon Rex he doesn't have a lot of fur on his face. I can't get him to quit scratching long enough to heal. What OTC rx can I put on. I'm home and can put on often. He constantly washes because it bothers him.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear that Turbo is having some problems. It's hard to say what this sore is without seeing it but it's a bit frustrating that it is not going away.

There is a possibility that it is simply an area of infection. It may have started off with a scratch or even an insect bite and now it is infected. Unfortunately when cats get skin infections they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. It won't hurt to put a small amount of neosporin or polysporin on the area three times daily but usually if there is a non-healing wound then we need something stronger.

It is also possible that this is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't know why cats get these but we believe it is related somehow to the immune system and possibly allergies. Again, however, there is no home remedy. Most cats need a steroid injection (and sometimes two) to clear these up.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things but if it is not clearing up then a vet visit is the best bet.

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14566 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5136 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5207 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5059 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (14575 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (34995 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24802 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11106 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16356 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (14918 views)