Dime sized sore above eye.

Breed: Devon Rex
Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide (doesn't mind)and Eqyss mega--tek for skin, coat and paws (he hates). Since he is a devon Rex he doesn't have a lot of fur on his face. I can't get him to quit scratching long enough to heal. What OTC rx can I put on. I'm home and can put on often. He constantly washes because it bothers him.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear that Turbo is having some problems. It's hard to say what this sore is without seeing it but it's a bit frustrating that it is not going away.

There is a possibility that it is simply an area of infection. It may have started off with a scratch or even an insect bite and now it is infected. Unfortunately when cats get skin infections they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. It won't hurt to put a small amount of neosporin or polysporin on the area three times daily but usually if there is a non-healing wound then we need something stronger.

It is also possible that this is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't know why cats get these but we believe it is related somehow to the immune system and possibly allergies. Again, however, there is no home remedy. Most cats need a steroid injection (and sometimes two) to clear these up.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things but if it is not clearing up then a vet visit is the best bet.

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (29443 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (260747 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (46853 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (12334 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (7534 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (31588 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (14118 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (24680 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (10349 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (8640 views)