Dime sized sore above eye.

Breed: Devon Rex
Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide (doesn't mind)and Eqyss mega--tek for skin, coat and paws (he hates). Since he is a devon Rex he doesn't have a lot of fur on his face. I can't get him to quit scratching long enough to heal. What OTC rx can I put on. I'm home and can put on often. He constantly washes because it bothers him.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear that Turbo is having some problems. It's hard to say what this sore is without seeing it but it's a bit frustrating that it is not going away.

There is a possibility that it is simply an area of infection. It may have started off with a scratch or even an insect bite and now it is infected. Unfortunately when cats get skin infections they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. It won't hurt to put a small amount of neosporin or polysporin on the area three times daily but usually if there is a non-healing wound then we need something stronger.

It is also possible that this is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't know why cats get these but we believe it is related somehow to the immune system and possibly allergies. Again, however, there is no home remedy. Most cats need a steroid injection (and sometimes two) to clear these up.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things but if it is not clearing up then a vet visit is the best bet.

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10498 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9423 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8449 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (66632 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (15159 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (23026 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16991 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6265 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (27130 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (8367 views)