Dime sized sore above eye.

Breed: Devon Rex
Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide (doesn't mind)and Eqyss mega--tek for skin, coat and paws (he hates). Since he is a devon Rex he doesn't have a lot of fur on his face. I can't get him to quit scratching long enough to heal. What OTC rx can I put on. I'm home and can put on often. He constantly washes because it bothers him.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear that Turbo is having some problems. It's hard to say what this sore is without seeing it but it's a bit frustrating that it is not going away.

There is a possibility that it is simply an area of infection. It may have started off with a scratch or even an insect bite and now it is infected. Unfortunately when cats get skin infections they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. It won't hurt to put a small amount of neosporin or polysporin on the area three times daily but usually if there is a non-healing wound then we need something stronger.

It is also possible that this is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't know why cats get these but we believe it is related somehow to the immune system and possibly allergies. Again, however, there is no home remedy. Most cats need a steroid injection (and sometimes two) to clear these up.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things but if it is not clearing up then a vet visit is the best bet.

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (46219 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5440 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (12085 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6576 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (8214 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8464 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (14140 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (28353 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (12596 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (12262 views)