Dime sized sore above eye.

Breed: Devon Rex
Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide (doesn't mind)and Eqyss mega--tek for skin, coat and paws (he hates). Since he is a devon Rex he doesn't have a lot of fur on his face. I can't get him to quit scratching long enough to heal. What OTC rx can I put on. I'm home and can put on often. He constantly washes because it bothers him.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear that Turbo is having some problems. It's hard to say what this sore is without seeing it but it's a bit frustrating that it is not going away.

There is a possibility that it is simply an area of infection. It may have started off with a scratch or even an insect bite and now it is infected. Unfortunately when cats get skin infections they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. It won't hurt to put a small amount of neosporin or polysporin on the area three times daily but usually if there is a non-healing wound then we need something stronger.

It is also possible that this is something called an eosinophilic plaque. We don't know why cats get these but we believe it is related somehow to the immune system and possibly allergies. Again, however, there is no home remedy. Most cats need a steroid injection (and sometimes two) to clear these up.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things but if it is not clearing up then a vet visit is the best bet.

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5239 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5011 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (29302 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8048 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (15742 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4800 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4872 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9159 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (6840 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7336 views)