Wound on dog's ear.

Breed: Lab/Collie
Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its infected. I put neosporin on it today. What is it and how can I treat him? I have emailed the photo. Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photo. It's a little blurry, but still gets the point across:

wound on dog's ear

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause a wound that looks exactly like this. Are there other pets in the house? It looks like it could be from a bite from another dog or even a cat. If this is the case, if it is red and sore then it could be infected. If it is infected, then Milo will likely need some oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. There is no harm applying some neosporin, but this cream is not a very strong antibiotic and likely won't do much.

There are some odd and rare autoimmune diseases such as pemphigus or lupus that could cause odd lesions on the ear, but it would be unusual to just see one like this.

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, it may be ok to keep an eye on things for a couple of more days. You can take a warm cloth and wipe it a few times a day. But if there is no improvement after 2-3 days or if it starts to leak a yellow or green fluid or get smelly or get bigger then I would have a vet take a look at it.

No, there are no other pets in the house. He never comes into contact with other animals. I wiped it this morning and there wasn't fluid coming out. I wiped off what i thought was dead skin. Thank You

I guess we'll never know what the cause is. From what I can see it looks like a wound but it is a fuzzy picture...plus it's hard to assess things like this over the internet.

In any case, the advice would still be the same.

I hope things clear up soon!

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (6611 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (22280 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6116 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (27519 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (8300 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (10721 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (6223 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (7786 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (8065 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (15829 views)