Wound on dog's ear.

Breed: Lab/Collie
Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its infected. I put neosporin on it today. What is it and how can I treat him? I have emailed the photo. Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photo. It's a little blurry, but still gets the point across:

wound on dog's ear

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause a wound that looks exactly like this. Are there other pets in the house? It looks like it could be from a bite from another dog or even a cat. If this is the case, if it is red and sore then it could be infected. If it is infected, then Milo will likely need some oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. There is no harm applying some neosporin, but this cream is not a very strong antibiotic and likely won't do much.

There are some odd and rare autoimmune diseases such as pemphigus or lupus that could cause odd lesions on the ear, but it would be unusual to just see one like this.

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, it may be ok to keep an eye on things for a couple of more days. You can take a warm cloth and wipe it a few times a day. But if there is no improvement after 2-3 days or if it starts to leak a yellow or green fluid or get smelly or get bigger then I would have a vet take a look at it.

No, there are no other pets in the house. He never comes into contact with other animals. I wiped it this morning and there wasn't fluid coming out. I wiped off what i thought was dead skin. Thank You

I guess we'll never know what the cause is. From what I can see it looks like a wound but it is a fuzzy picture...plus it's hard to assess things like this over the internet.

In any case, the advice would still be the same.

I hope things clear up soon!

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22217 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36489 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6407 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5408 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12985 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10303 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (58283 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8673 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (12980 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7204 views)