Wound on dog's ear.

Breed: Lab/Collie
Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its infected. I put neosporin on it today. What is it and how can I treat him? I have emailed the photo. Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photo. It's a little blurry, but still gets the point across:

wound on dog's ear

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause a wound that looks exactly like this. Are there other pets in the house? It looks like it could be from a bite from another dog or even a cat. If this is the case, if it is red and sore then it could be infected. If it is infected, then Milo will likely need some oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. There is no harm applying some neosporin, but this cream is not a very strong antibiotic and likely won't do much.

There are some odd and rare autoimmune diseases such as pemphigus or lupus that could cause odd lesions on the ear, but it would be unusual to just see one like this.

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, it may be ok to keep an eye on things for a couple of more days. You can take a warm cloth and wipe it a few times a day. But if there is no improvement after 2-3 days or if it starts to leak a yellow or green fluid or get smelly or get bigger then I would have a vet take a look at it.

No, there are no other pets in the house. He never comes into contact with other animals. I wiped it this morning and there wasn't fluid coming out. I wiped off what i thought was dead skin. Thank You

I guess we'll never know what the cause is. From what I can see it looks like a wound but it is a fuzzy picture...plus it's hard to assess things like this over the internet.

In any case, the advice would still be the same.

I hope things clear up soon!

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (23353 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (10258 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (16234 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (7794 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (21762 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (6019 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (6709 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (14658 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (11343 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (7324 views)