Wound on dog's ear.

Breed: Lab/Collie
Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its infected. I put neosporin on it today. What is it and how can I treat him? I have emailed the photo. Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photo. It's a little blurry, but still gets the point across:

wound on dog's ear

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause a wound that looks exactly like this. Are there other pets in the house? It looks like it could be from a bite from another dog or even a cat. If this is the case, if it is red and sore then it could be infected. If it is infected, then Milo will likely need some oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. There is no harm applying some neosporin, but this cream is not a very strong antibiotic and likely won't do much.

There are some odd and rare autoimmune diseases such as pemphigus or lupus that could cause odd lesions on the ear, but it would be unusual to just see one like this.

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, it may be ok to keep an eye on things for a couple of more days. You can take a warm cloth and wipe it a few times a day. But if there is no improvement after 2-3 days or if it starts to leak a yellow or green fluid or get smelly or get bigger then I would have a vet take a look at it.

No, there are no other pets in the house. He never comes into contact with other animals. I wiped it this morning and there wasn't fluid coming out. I wiped off what i thought was dead skin. Thank You

I guess we'll never know what the cause is. From what I can see it looks like a wound but it is a fuzzy picture...plus it's hard to assess things like this over the internet.

In any case, the advice would still be the same.

I hope things clear up soon!

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26569 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6572 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9696 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (9304 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9382 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (5085 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5489 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (15200 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6118 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (13137 views)