Possible pyometra.

Breed: Pit Bull
My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge is more thick and milky and almost brownish red. She also seems to be panting more than she should be cause the air in the house is cool. Just curious if I should be worried cause money is tight and I can't really afford an unnecessary vet bill.

Oh dear, this does not sound good.

What you are describing really sounds like Crook may have a serious infection in her uterus called a pyometra.

The discharge during a pyometra is usually thick like you have described. Often it looks like tomato soup.

Pyometra always needs to be treated with surgery. Unfortunately to spay a dog with pyometra is much more difficult and expensive than doing a spay on a healthy dog.

This is one of the main reasons why I recommend spaying a dog when she is young.

Please don't wait too long to have the vet look at Crook. If pyometra goes untreated, it is fatal.

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15058 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (13596 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10097 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8306 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49352 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9218 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (12600 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6152 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4460 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10791 views)