Feral cat with problems.

Breed: shorthair
There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few weeks (around 2 months) one has gotten sicker, and started losing its fur. The other two have shown no symptoms.
We recently trapped her and checked her out.

The symptoms are:
Fur loss in big patches, on the neck, head, back, side, shoulders.
Usually either one or both eyes appears covered with mucus
Her skin is dry, flaky, prone to cracking and bleeding.
The exposed skin is dark, but it looks like the skin where there is still fur is lighter color.
She is lethargic.
Her skin hangs loose and her tummy sort of bulges out (we thought at one point she might be pregnant.
We've not noticed her itching and scratching.
We did spring for a skin scrape and she tested negative for mites.
The vet we took her to wanted to do a whole battery of tests that we couldn't afford, and was very cooperative when we refused a bunch of other tests, saying he didn't want to speculate too much, he did say he wanted to to try an antibiotic treatment, because the cracked skin was prone to bleeding and could get infected, but we had a lot of trouble catching her one time, no way we could do it multiple times for a regular treatment. I have taken a few photos with my phone and can try to take more as needed.
Larry

Hi Larry. I'm just heading out of the office right now and will be back on line this evening. In the meantime if you can send me some photos that would be great! You can email them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Ok, thanks for the photos Larry. I'll include them here:

feral cat skin problem

feral cat skin problem

feral cat skin problem

The poor girl looks very uncomfortable. The first thing that I noted when I saw your pictures is that this is no "normal" skin problem. It doesn't look typical of a bacterial infection or a flea problem. Unfortunately, as your vet suggested, the only way to get a diagnosis here is going to be to do a bunch of tests. But, it is understandable that there is only so much you can do for a feral girl.

I have seen skin look like this after a burn. However, it really shouldn't be itchy.

It's possible this is ringworm, but it doesn't look exactly like ringworm. Ringworm is a fungal infection. Sometimes it can be treated with baths with lime sulfur, but this is difficult to do on a tame cat yet alone a feral one.

It could also be something called fragile skin syndrome. This is really not common. But when a cat has it it always mean that there is a serious underlying problem like liver disease or diabetes.

Another possibility is an autoimmune disease like pemphigus. This is really hard to control and needs lifelong steroid therapy.

The runny eyes could be a respiratory tract infection. It's possible that she's got a chronic mycoplasma infection. But this is bad news too because it needs chronic treatment with oral antibiotics.

I'm not sure what I would advise for a case like this. I would likely try a long acting steroid injection and also a Convenia injection (which is an antibiotic that lasts for two weeks.) to see how things go.

But, if things are not improving then we may be stuck.

I wish I had more answers for you!

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13384 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6313 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (13730 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12146 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4246 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (37748 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14464 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (15435 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8872 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18037 views)