Cat died suddenly.

Breed: none - born on a far
Hi and thank you for your time

My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old Jasper had just died. He was a black farm cat - one of a litter of 5. We had him since weaning and he was a very affectionate wee man. The only odd thing was a slight weakness in his back legs he shared with his sister (my friend kept her) that their vet put down to the large litter size and the cramped space in utero. He did get into a few fights months ago before neutering but there was a swollen eye and a scabbing pimple on his temple only last week. No fleas or ticks. I wormed him 6 weeks ago using a prescription wormer. He did not have vaccinations.

He was an outdoor cat who hunted birds and mice in the field at the back of the house. Chris was towelling him dry this morning and then he arched his back in spasm, his tongue protruded and he mewled. A couple of choking noises followed and he fitted and then collapsed and died. My son tried to revive him in the only way he knew how by blowing in his mouth and compressing his chest but to no avail.

I am sure other readers may have similar experiences and I was hoping your experience might shed some light on what has happened to an otherwise bright and bouncy and very chatty cat.

I'm sorry to hear about Jasper. The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a problem that some cats can be born with that causes the walls of the heart to be too thick. Cats can live normally with it and have no clinical signs of illness and then suddenly can die.

Anything like poisoning or a serious illness should have shown signs of him being sick before he passed away.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. If this was HCM please know that there was nothing that anyone could have done.

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5317 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6818 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32247 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (10743 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7943 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15744 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9207 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (13157 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (100993 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7263 views)