Cat died suddenly.

Breed: none - born on a far
Hi and thank you for your time

My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old Jasper had just died. He was a black farm cat - one of a litter of 5. We had him since weaning and he was a very affectionate wee man. The only odd thing was a slight weakness in his back legs he shared with his sister (my friend kept her) that their vet put down to the large litter size and the cramped space in utero. He did get into a few fights months ago before neutering but there was a swollen eye and a scabbing pimple on his temple only last week. No fleas or ticks. I wormed him 6 weeks ago using a prescription wormer. He did not have vaccinations.

He was an outdoor cat who hunted birds and mice in the field at the back of the house. Chris was towelling him dry this morning and then he arched his back in spasm, his tongue protruded and he mewled. A couple of choking noises followed and he fitted and then collapsed and died. My son tried to revive him in the only way he knew how by blowing in his mouth and compressing his chest but to no avail.

I am sure other readers may have similar experiences and I was hoping your experience might shed some light on what has happened to an otherwise bright and bouncy and very chatty cat.

I'm sorry to hear about Jasper. The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a problem that some cats can be born with that causes the walls of the heart to be too thick. Cats can live normally with it and have no clinical signs of illness and then suddenly can die.

Anything like poisoning or a serious illness should have shown signs of him being sick before he passed away.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. If this was HCM please know that there was nothing that anyone could have done.

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (14524 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (14267 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (28628 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (7716 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (9860 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (11308 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (10175 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (11875 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (12415 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (12508 views)