Cat died suddenly.

Breed: none - born on a far
Hi and thank you for your time

My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old Jasper had just died. He was a black farm cat - one of a litter of 5. We had him since weaning and he was a very affectionate wee man. The only odd thing was a slight weakness in his back legs he shared with his sister (my friend kept her) that their vet put down to the large litter size and the cramped space in utero. He did get into a few fights months ago before neutering but there was a swollen eye and a scabbing pimple on his temple only last week. No fleas or ticks. I wormed him 6 weeks ago using a prescription wormer. He did not have vaccinations.

He was an outdoor cat who hunted birds and mice in the field at the back of the house. Chris was towelling him dry this morning and then he arched his back in spasm, his tongue protruded and he mewled. A couple of choking noises followed and he fitted and then collapsed and died. My son tried to revive him in the only way he knew how by blowing in his mouth and compressing his chest but to no avail.

I am sure other readers may have similar experiences and I was hoping your experience might shed some light on what has happened to an otherwise bright and bouncy and very chatty cat.

I'm sorry to hear about Jasper. The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a problem that some cats can be born with that causes the walls of the heart to be too thick. Cats can live normally with it and have no clinical signs of illness and then suddenly can die.

Anything like poisoning or a serious illness should have shown signs of him being sick before he passed away.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. If this was HCM please know that there was nothing that anyone could have done.

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6488 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6417 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8141 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (4880 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (9868 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (26583 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (6927 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (16597 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (21847 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (5909 views)