Diarrhea in chihuahua.

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me give you a little history first and then I'll tell you what the vet has said/done.

For the last month or so she has been having episodes of diarrhea and then she will only poop mucus. She will run to the wee wee pad as if she needs to "go" but then she'll just leak out a clear fluid. Sometimes the mucus is a yellowish brown color. At times it has contained a small trace of blood. Along with the mucus, her tummy rumbles and makes all kinds of squeaky sounds (like IBS gas pains). She acts totally fine... Plays, runs around, etc. she is drinking fine.

I took her to the vet the 1st time. I was told the mucus was her intestinal fluid caused by diarrhea. I was told to give her chicken and rice. After a day. She was ok. About a week later symptoms returned. Took her to the vet, she tested positive for giardia. She went on meds for a week and seemed ok. After 2 weeks or so the symptoms returned. She was tested again for parasites but it came out negative. We discussed switching her food. She had been on royal canin chihuahua puppy mix. I bought blue buffalo puppy turkey and potato for sensitive stomachs. She's been on it 2 days and last night, she had the gas sounds and mucus leak again. I read online that she may have a food allergy and that switching the food could take a few weeks to see results. She hasn't really been itching but she does drag her tush on the floor. She has also had several deworming medicines, so I don't think that that is the issue. I feel so bad for her. I dunno what else to do. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thank you!

Ps she rarely EVER eats people food but the day before the last symptoms she ate 3 pieces of pasta that I accidentally dropped on the floor. I wondering if maybe that happened and she just has a really sensitive stomach. One previous time before symptoms, she was eating a rawhide. The next day she had the symptoms. This is leading me to believe it may just be a sensitive stomach and strict diet required.

It sounds like you and Reese have been through some frustrating times! Puppy diarrhea can often be a difficult thing to figure out.

The first thing I would like to say is that food allergies are really uncommon in such a young puppy. This is not the first thing I would think of.

There are some parasites that are difficult to pick up on a normal fecal exam. You mentioned that she was on several dewormers. Do you know if she has been on any of the following: S-125, albon, sulfadimethoxone? If not, you may want to ask your vet if it is worthwhile to treat for coccidia just in case.

It's also possible that she's dealing with some type of a bacterial problem. These can be difficult to diagnose. When I have an ongoing diarrhea case that isn't solved with the regular medications I will often do a course of Tylosin which is an antibiotic which works against some difficult to diagnose bacterial infections. I usually also do a course of metronidazole as well.

My next step, if this were my case would be to run a diarrhea panel at an outside lab. This is a test where a bunch of DNA tests are run on the stool to look for unusual things.

I wish I had the answer for you, but these are a few things that you can discuss with your vet.

Hope things are better soon!

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (25906 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (10726 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13654 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (39941 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10098 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7377 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (5750 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (15852 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41447 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10758 views)