Dog has a bald patch over eye.

Breed: Miniature Dashchund
Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect health condition. She has her first two needles but after her second needle she started to lose hair next/above her right eye. It is bald there now, and it is dry, although we have been told it is not just dry skin.The spot seems to be slowly spreading as well. Do you have any idea on what this is, or what the cause was? Also, if there is anything we can do about it? Our vet tested for mites, but she is clear of them, and the vet won't tell us what else it could be. She also won't give our puppy her third needle.

This will be a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I will see what I can do.

The first thing that I thought of was a parasite called demodex. Usually, though this can be found quite easily by doing a skin scraping which it sounds like your vet already did. I have had some cases though where I have had to do the scraping a couple of times before I found the mites.

Is the spot itchy or red at all? If so, it may be a localized area of skin infection.

It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection. You may need to have your vet do a fungal culture to find out if this is what it is.

I'm not sure why your vet won't give the third needles. If they are suspecting an infection it may be that they want your dog to be totally healed from the infection first.

If you *really* wanted to know what is going on you could have your vet do a skin biopsy but this could be a little pricey.

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7837 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16873 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8233 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (26113 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8834 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9633 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (20919 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (43818 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (11006 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8308 views)