Dog has a bald patch over eye.

Breed: Miniature Dashchund
Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect health condition. She has her first two needles but after her second needle she started to lose hair next/above her right eye. It is bald there now, and it is dry, although we have been told it is not just dry skin.The spot seems to be slowly spreading as well. Do you have any idea on what this is, or what the cause was? Also, if there is anything we can do about it? Our vet tested for mites, but she is clear of them, and the vet won't tell us what else it could be. She also won't give our puppy her third needle.

This will be a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I will see what I can do.

The first thing that I thought of was a parasite called demodex. Usually, though this can be found quite easily by doing a skin scraping which it sounds like your vet already did. I have had some cases though where I have had to do the scraping a couple of times before I found the mites.

Is the spot itchy or red at all? If so, it may be a localized area of skin infection.

It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection. You may need to have your vet do a fungal culture to find out if this is what it is.

I'm not sure why your vet won't give the third needles. If they are suspecting an infection it may be that they want your dog to be totally healed from the infection first.

If you *really* wanted to know what is going on you could have your vet do a skin biopsy but this could be a little pricey.

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (21130 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (16280 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (21217 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (62527 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (25353 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (7073 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (15260 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (13509 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (57707 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (7305 views)