Dog has a bald patch over eye.

Breed: Miniature Dashchund
Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect health condition. She has her first two needles but after her second needle she started to lose hair next/above her right eye. It is bald there now, and it is dry, although we have been told it is not just dry skin.The spot seems to be slowly spreading as well. Do you have any idea on what this is, or what the cause was? Also, if there is anything we can do about it? Our vet tested for mites, but she is clear of them, and the vet won't tell us what else it could be. She also won't give our puppy her third needle.

This will be a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I will see what I can do.

The first thing that I thought of was a parasite called demodex. Usually, though this can be found quite easily by doing a skin scraping which it sounds like your vet already did. I have had some cases though where I have had to do the scraping a couple of times before I found the mites.

Is the spot itchy or red at all? If so, it may be a localized area of skin infection.

It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection. You may need to have your vet do a fungal culture to find out if this is what it is.

I'm not sure why your vet won't give the third needles. If they are suspecting an infection it may be that they want your dog to be totally healed from the infection first.

If you *really* wanted to know what is going on you could have your vet do a skin biopsy but this could be a little pricey.

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (36404 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (35439 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10249 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6614 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10215 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8464 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11183 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5242 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5478 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (19329 views)