Dog has a bald patch over eye.

Breed: Miniature Dashchund
Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect health condition. She has her first two needles but after her second needle she started to lose hair next/above her right eye. It is bald there now, and it is dry, although we have been told it is not just dry skin.The spot seems to be slowly spreading as well. Do you have any idea on what this is, or what the cause was? Also, if there is anything we can do about it? Our vet tested for mites, but she is clear of them, and the vet won't tell us what else it could be. She also won't give our puppy her third needle.

This will be a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I will see what I can do.

The first thing that I thought of was a parasite called demodex. Usually, though this can be found quite easily by doing a skin scraping which it sounds like your vet already did. I have had some cases though where I have had to do the scraping a couple of times before I found the mites.

Is the spot itchy or red at all? If so, it may be a localized area of skin infection.

It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection. You may need to have your vet do a fungal culture to find out if this is what it is.

I'm not sure why your vet won't give the third needles. If they are suspecting an infection it may be that they want your dog to be totally healed from the infection first.

If you *really* wanted to know what is going on you could have your vet do a skin biopsy but this could be a little pricey.

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9649 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (31023 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (29284 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6670 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8989 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5613 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16884 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10436 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (178982 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (34803 views)