Cisapride to a cat that is not eating?

Breed: mixed breed
My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has no problem and the defacation has been ok.
Last 3 days she has been extemely quiet and remote, and stopped eating ! I have to stop
giving her cisapride because she didn't have any food at all. Is it ok to stop cisapride now that she is not feeling well and then start giving it to her again when she starts
taking food. I haven't bring her to the vet
as she is traumatized each time she goes to the vet for manual evacuation of stools in the past. Her mouth will be completely foam with saliva and non stop even arrived at the vet clinic. I am so afraid the trip will worsen her condition. I have been force feeding her a little bit of Royal Cannin
Recovery, also gave her some nutritional gel which she did try to avoid. Main question is should I stop cisapride because I am not supposed to stop her regular in take of cisapride. I am not sure whether her bowels are clogged. Her last poo was 3 days ago about 2 inch. After that she hasn't been eating much.

Dealing with constipation issues in older cats is something I really do not enjoy. It can unfortunately be very difficult.

I don't have a problem with giving Cisapride without food. In fact, I would say that stopping the Cisapride could actually make the problem worse.

However, my main concern here is the fact that Trudy is not eating. If a cat is not eating there is always a medical reason for it.

It's possible the reason is simply that she is having constipation issues again. If she is going 3 days in between bowel movements then this is not good. This can make her very uncomfortable and can definitely affect her appetite.

But it's also possible that there is another issue. In older cats we commonly will see problems with the kidneys. If there is a kidney problem then the cat tends to struggle with dehydration. When a cat is dehydrated, the body will take fluid out of the intestines and this can make the stools very hard and difficult to pass.

There are many other possibilities as well. I know Trudy does not like going to the vet, but I really think that she should see a doctor. If this is simply a constipation issue, it's possible that a simple enema could get things going again. If we wait too long then, it could mean the difference between a single enema vs hospitalization, IV fluids and multiple enemas in order to get her defecating again. And, if there is a medical problem then we need to find out what it is.

I wish I could give you an easy solution. I would say, go ahead and give her her cisapride and if she is not better by the morning I would definitely have her seen.

Thank you Dr. Marie for your recommendation. I will give Trudy cisapride accordingly. I also have taken your advice and brought Trudy to the Vet. She has a manual evacuation and found alot of fur stuck in her mega colon. Also found
mini piece of stick! which I have no idea where and when she found and ate it ! I hope after the removal of hard stools she will become better soon.

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (11834 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (25915 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (15883 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (14389 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (5975 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (12751 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12528 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (28472 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (16640 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5937 views)