Rabbit with maggots

Breed: rabbit
Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were maggots around and in his bottom. We have bathed him and appeared to have got rid of them.
Can we wait to see our regular vet tomorrow?

Oh, the poor little guy! Maggots are no fun at all.

This is definitely a situation where I would recommend seeing a vet today if you can. Rabbits don't usually get maggots unless there is something else going on such as diarrhea, infection, a urinary tract problem, a problem with the nerves affecting the back end or a number of other conditions. The sooner we get this dealt with the better.

The vet may give some additional medication to make sure that there are no maggots left (although hopefully you have indeed gotten them all.) They will also have a look to see if there is any evidence of infection.

Rabbits don't do well with illness and I always recommend to have them seen sooner rather than later.

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6508 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10122 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9593 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8260 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7597 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (9201 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8390 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (22762 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17213 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (28762 views)