Rabbit with maggots

Breed: rabbit
Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were maggots around and in his bottom. We have bathed him and appeared to have got rid of them.
Can we wait to see our regular vet tomorrow?

Oh, the poor little guy! Maggots are no fun at all.

This is definitely a situation where I would recommend seeing a vet today if you can. Rabbits don't usually get maggots unless there is something else going on such as diarrhea, infection, a urinary tract problem, a problem with the nerves affecting the back end or a number of other conditions. The sooner we get this dealt with the better.

The vet may give some additional medication to make sure that there are no maggots left (although hopefully you have indeed gotten them all.) They will also have a look to see if there is any evidence of infection.

Rabbits don't do well with illness and I always recommend to have them seen sooner rather than later.

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (5576 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (24192 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (8966 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (9191 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (11632 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (8110 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (29214 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (5331 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (8930 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (3327 views)