Rabbit with maggots

Breed: rabbit
Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were maggots around and in his bottom. We have bathed him and appeared to have got rid of them.
Can we wait to see our regular vet tomorrow?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh, the poor little guy! Maggots are no fun at all.

This is definitely a situation where I would recommend seeing a vet today if you can. Rabbits don't usually get maggots unless there is something else going on such as diarrhea, infection, a urinary tract problem, a problem with the nerves affecting the back end or a number of other conditions. The sooner we get this dealt with the better.

The vet may give some additional medication to make sure that there are no maggots left (although hopefully you have indeed gotten them all.) They will also have a look to see if there is any evidence of infection.

Rabbits don't do well with illness and I always recommend to have them seen sooner rather than later.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (5782 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (6279 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (15143 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (8945 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (14138 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (3678 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (7122 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (14583 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (6780 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (6317 views)