Rabbit with maggots

Breed: rabbit
Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were maggots around and in his bottom. We have bathed him and appeared to have got rid of them.
Can we wait to see our regular vet tomorrow?

Oh, the poor little guy! Maggots are no fun at all.

This is definitely a situation where I would recommend seeing a vet today if you can. Rabbits don't usually get maggots unless there is something else going on such as diarrhea, infection, a urinary tract problem, a problem with the nerves affecting the back end or a number of other conditions. The sooner we get this dealt with the better.

The vet may give some additional medication to make sure that there are no maggots left (although hopefully you have indeed gotten them all.) They will also have a look to see if there is any evidence of infection.

Rabbits don't do well with illness and I always recommend to have them seen sooner rather than later.

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (9153 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (9701 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (17059 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (45643 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (18983 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (10653 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (24960 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (17793 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (8427 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (34145 views)