Rabbit with maggots

Breed: rabbit
Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were maggots around and in his bottom. We have bathed him and appeared to have got rid of them.
Can we wait to see our regular vet tomorrow?

Oh, the poor little guy! Maggots are no fun at all.

This is definitely a situation where I would recommend seeing a vet today if you can. Rabbits don't usually get maggots unless there is something else going on such as diarrhea, infection, a urinary tract problem, a problem with the nerves affecting the back end or a number of other conditions. The sooner we get this dealt with the better.

The vet may give some additional medication to make sure that there are no maggots left (although hopefully you have indeed gotten them all.) They will also have a look to see if there is any evidence of infection.

Rabbits don't do well with illness and I always recommend to have them seen sooner rather than later.

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (3865 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (15638 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (2956 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (23938 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (4998 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (14814 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (3390 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (6361 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (4315 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (5715 views)