Persistent hymen in dog.

Breed: German Sheperd
Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown flesh inside the vagina which restricts the penis to enter at correct spot & further semination. i want to breed her in next heat. will you please guide me to a solution?

What you are describing may be something called a persistent hymen or a vaginal band. Either of these defects can interfere with the male being able to penetrate properly.

The good news is that this is treatable. But the bad news is that it will require surgery in order to be fixed.

This is a surgery that not all vets will be familiar with so you may possibly need to have a referral to a surgical specialist to resolve the problem.

Thankyou Madam for your valuable reply.i've tried to breed her with many males.during the last 3 heat the problem was same.i'm basically from India,state-kerala,city-kochi. Madam can you please tell me the name of surgery & by giving what medicine i can cure her.

You're very welcome. It's hard to say exactly what the surgery would be called. If you were looking for the name so that you can ask your vet about it we are basically looking at doing surgery to remove a persistent hymen. Or, something called a vaginoplasty which is to change the architecture of the vagina.

There is no medicine that will cure this condition, only surgery.

It is best to have a vet examine her to determine what the problem is and see if they think they can repair it with surgery.

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (8644 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (12480 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (23810 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (19841 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (5762 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5199 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (7033 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (7827 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (8478 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (7613 views)