Persistent hymen in dog.

Breed: German Sheperd
Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown flesh inside the vagina which restricts the penis to enter at correct spot & further semination. i want to breed her in next heat. will you please guide me to a solution?

What you are describing may be something called a persistent hymen or a vaginal band. Either of these defects can interfere with the male being able to penetrate properly.

The good news is that this is treatable. But the bad news is that it will require surgery in order to be fixed.

This is a surgery that not all vets will be familiar with so you may possibly need to have a referral to a surgical specialist to resolve the problem.

Thankyou Madam for your valuable reply.i've tried to breed her with many males.during the last 3 heat the problem was same.i'm basically from India,state-kerala,city-kochi. Madam can you please tell me the name of surgery & by giving what medicine i can cure her.

You're very welcome. It's hard to say exactly what the surgery would be called. If you were looking for the name so that you can ask your vet about it we are basically looking at doing surgery to remove a persistent hymen. Or, something called a vaginoplasty which is to change the architecture of the vagina.

There is no medicine that will cure this condition, only surgery.

It is best to have a vet examine her to determine what the problem is and see if they think they can repair it with surgery.

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (7120 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9325 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (12281 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (48437 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8962 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6544 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9131 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (16022 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (10024 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (33313 views)