Persistent hymen in dog.

Breed: German Sheperd
Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown flesh inside the vagina which restricts the penis to enter at correct spot & further semination. i want to breed her in next heat. will you please guide me to a solution?

What you are describing may be something called a persistent hymen or a vaginal band. Either of these defects can interfere with the male being able to penetrate properly.

The good news is that this is treatable. But the bad news is that it will require surgery in order to be fixed.

This is a surgery that not all vets will be familiar with so you may possibly need to have a referral to a surgical specialist to resolve the problem.

Thankyou Madam for your valuable reply.i've tried to breed her with many males.during the last 3 heat the problem was same.i'm basically from India,state-kerala,city-kochi. Madam can you please tell me the name of surgery & by giving what medicine i can cure her.

You're very welcome. It's hard to say exactly what the surgery would be called. If you were looking for the name so that you can ask your vet about it we are basically looking at doing surgery to remove a persistent hymen. Or, something called a vaginoplasty which is to change the architecture of the vagina.

There is no medicine that will cure this condition, only surgery.

It is best to have a vet examine her to determine what the problem is and see if they think they can repair it with surgery.

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (38100 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9608 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9067 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11353 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (17132 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7100 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10998 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6458 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (11097 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (19250 views)