Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats?

Breed: cat
do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent ?

Thanks for your interesting question. I found a research article that answers the question for you.

It is from the Journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science, written by Nelson, Evans and Bradbury.

Here is the abstract:

-----
Ultrasound deterrents for a variety of mammals, including cats, are widely available in the commercial market, but few have been independently tested for efficacy. This study tested the efficacy of an ultrasonic cat deterrent 'Catwatch(c)', using 63 and 96 volunteer observers in two long-running (18 and 33 weeks) blind experiments. Results indicated that the device did have a moderate deterrent effect, reducing the probability of a cat intrusion into a garden by approximately 32% in the first experiment, but not in the second. The average duration of intrusions was reduced by approximately 38 and 22% in the two experiments, respectively. The magnitude of the deterrent effect appeared to increase with time, since the device was deployed. It is likely that the size of the deterrent effect could be increased by positioning the device(s) more carefully with regard to entry points to the garden that are regularly used by cats.
-----

To summarize, the ultrasonic noise deterrents had a moderate effect, and stopped 32% of the unwanted behavior. So, it looks like it may help somewhat, but not likely as well as you would like.

I hope this helps!

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19480 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9152 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32833 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9463 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8680 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7522 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (16419 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (19041 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9635 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38214 views)