Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats?

Breed: cat
do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent ?

Thanks for your interesting question. I found a research article that answers the question for you.

It is from the Journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science, written by Nelson, Evans and Bradbury.

Here is the abstract:

-----
Ultrasound deterrents for a variety of mammals, including cats, are widely available in the commercial market, but few have been independently tested for efficacy. This study tested the efficacy of an ultrasonic cat deterrent 'Catwatch(c)', using 63 and 96 volunteer observers in two long-running (18 and 33 weeks) blind experiments. Results indicated that the device did have a moderate deterrent effect, reducing the probability of a cat intrusion into a garden by approximately 32% in the first experiment, but not in the second. The average duration of intrusions was reduced by approximately 38 and 22% in the two experiments, respectively. The magnitude of the deterrent effect appeared to increase with time, since the device was deployed. It is likely that the size of the deterrent effect could be increased by positioning the device(s) more carefully with regard to entry points to the garden that are regularly used by cats.
-----

To summarize, the ultrasonic noise deterrents had a moderate effect, and stopped 32% of the unwanted behavior. So, it looks like it may help somewhat, but not likely as well as you would like.

I hope this helps!

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (6942 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (6942 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (17703 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (13443 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (44899 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (18750 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (9511 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (10138 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (8004 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (10421 views)