Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats?

Breed: cat
do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent ?

Thanks for your interesting question. I found a research article that answers the question for you.

It is from the Journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science, written by Nelson, Evans and Bradbury.

Here is the abstract:

-----
Ultrasound deterrents for a variety of mammals, including cats, are widely available in the commercial market, but few have been independently tested for efficacy. This study tested the efficacy of an ultrasonic cat deterrent 'Catwatch(c)', using 63 and 96 volunteer observers in two long-running (18 and 33 weeks) blind experiments. Results indicated that the device did have a moderate deterrent effect, reducing the probability of a cat intrusion into a garden by approximately 32% in the first experiment, but not in the second. The average duration of intrusions was reduced by approximately 38 and 22% in the two experiments, respectively. The magnitude of the deterrent effect appeared to increase with time, since the device was deployed. It is likely that the size of the deterrent effect could be increased by positioning the device(s) more carefully with regard to entry points to the garden that are regularly used by cats.
-----

To summarize, the ultrasonic noise deterrents had a moderate effect, and stopped 32% of the unwanted behavior. So, it looks like it may help somewhat, but not likely as well as you would like.

I hope this helps!

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5756 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25330 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19923 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6953 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10987 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (66240 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9637 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6590 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (37142 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18251 views)