Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats?

Breed: cat
do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent ?

Thanks for your interesting question. I found a research article that answers the question for you.

It is from the Journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science, written by Nelson, Evans and Bradbury.

Here is the abstract:

-----
Ultrasound deterrents for a variety of mammals, including cats, are widely available in the commercial market, but few have been independently tested for efficacy. This study tested the efficacy of an ultrasonic cat deterrent 'Catwatch(c)', using 63 and 96 volunteer observers in two long-running (18 and 33 weeks) blind experiments. Results indicated that the device did have a moderate deterrent effect, reducing the probability of a cat intrusion into a garden by approximately 32% in the first experiment, but not in the second. The average duration of intrusions was reduced by approximately 38 and 22% in the two experiments, respectively. The magnitude of the deterrent effect appeared to increase with time, since the device was deployed. It is likely that the size of the deterrent effect could be increased by positioning the device(s) more carefully with regard to entry points to the garden that are regularly used by cats.
-----

To summarize, the ultrasonic noise deterrents had a moderate effect, and stopped 32% of the unwanted behavior. So, it looks like it may help somewhat, but not likely as well as you would like.

I hope this helps!

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (13613 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (12129 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (16393 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (10520 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (22334 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (15055 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (46566 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (16668 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (9330 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (9844 views)