Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats?

Breed: cat
do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent ?

Thanks for your interesting question. I found a research article that answers the question for you.

It is from the Journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science, written by Nelson, Evans and Bradbury.

Here is the abstract:

-----
Ultrasound deterrents for a variety of mammals, including cats, are widely available in the commercial market, but few have been independently tested for efficacy. This study tested the efficacy of an ultrasonic cat deterrent 'Catwatch(c)', using 63 and 96 volunteer observers in two long-running (18 and 33 weeks) blind experiments. Results indicated that the device did have a moderate deterrent effect, reducing the probability of a cat intrusion into a garden by approximately 32% in the first experiment, but not in the second. The average duration of intrusions was reduced by approximately 38 and 22% in the two experiments, respectively. The magnitude of the deterrent effect appeared to increase with time, since the device was deployed. It is likely that the size of the deterrent effect could be increased by positioning the device(s) more carefully with regard to entry points to the garden that are regularly used by cats.
-----

To summarize, the ultrasonic noise deterrents had a moderate effect, and stopped 32% of the unwanted behavior. So, it looks like it may help somewhat, but not likely as well as you would like.

I hope this helps!

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (31408 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (138224 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (11864 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (8371 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (20497 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11504 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (11321 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (12765 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (10145 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (70302 views)