Died after bloat surgery.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and 6am. She was extremely thirsty and would not eat in the morning (fed twice a day). I noticed her abdoment was enlarged and called her vet, they saw her right away. her vital signs were all normal, she was active and alert, but xrays showed that her stomach was extremely bloated and twisted. She had immediate surgery to untwist and empty the stomach, and we also opted to have her stomach tacked to prevent this from happening in the future. I was called about 1 1/2 hours later and they said the surgery went well and that the stomach and spleen tissue was pink and healthy, indicating this was caught early. I received a second call about 10 minutes later saying that Roxie had gone into cardiac arrest and they were unable to revive her. The explanation was that sometimes when the stomach gasses are released they overwhelm the dog's electrolyte balance resulting in compromised heart function. She was given lidocaine throughout surgery and had some heart arrhythmia early in the sugery, but it had been resolved.

My question is: Is this outcome often seen in young, healthy dogs where stomach bloat is caught and treated early or did she maybe have a pre-existing heart condition that caused this?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to Roxie. Bloat is one of my least favorite things to see happen to a dog.

Unfortunately, the most common complication seen in a dog with bloat is an abnormal heart rhythm which can indeed become fatal. Sometimes this abnormal rhythm is detectable before surgery but it can sometime start happening in the 24-48 hours following surgery. Lidocaine often will help to prevent this arrhythmia but it is not always effective.

The other possibility is that there may have been a buildup of toxins in the system. While usually with this we will see that the stomach or the spleen looks congested or purple, we cannot always tell by what these organs look like.

Here is a link that discusses bloat and some of the complications that can happen either during or after surgery. You can cut and paste the link into your browser to see it:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

I am so sorry this happened. It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks so much for your reply and kind thoughts. It has been a very painful experience.

You're very welcome Maxine. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17360 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9322 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28814 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (49501 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (26668 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12538 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10588 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8243 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (211697 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25001 views)