Died after bloat surgery.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and 6am. She was extremely thirsty and would not eat in the morning (fed twice a day). I noticed her abdoment was enlarged and called her vet, they saw her right away. her vital signs were all normal, she was active and alert, but xrays showed that her stomach was extremely bloated and twisted. She had immediate surgery to untwist and empty the stomach, and we also opted to have her stomach tacked to prevent this from happening in the future. I was called about 1 1/2 hours later and they said the surgery went well and that the stomach and spleen tissue was pink and healthy, indicating this was caught early. I received a second call about 10 minutes later saying that Roxie had gone into cardiac arrest and they were unable to revive her. The explanation was that sometimes when the stomach gasses are released they overwhelm the dog's electrolyte balance resulting in compromised heart function. She was given lidocaine throughout surgery and had some heart arrhythmia early in the sugery, but it had been resolved.

My question is: Is this outcome often seen in young, healthy dogs where stomach bloat is caught and treated early or did she maybe have a pre-existing heart condition that caused this?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to Roxie. Bloat is one of my least favorite things to see happen to a dog.

Unfortunately, the most common complication seen in a dog with bloat is an abnormal heart rhythm which can indeed become fatal. Sometimes this abnormal rhythm is detectable before surgery but it can sometime start happening in the 24-48 hours following surgery. Lidocaine often will help to prevent this arrhythmia but it is not always effective.

The other possibility is that there may have been a buildup of toxins in the system. While usually with this we will see that the stomach or the spleen looks congested or purple, we cannot always tell by what these organs look like.

Here is a link that discusses bloat and some of the complications that can happen either during or after surgery. You can cut and paste the link into your browser to see it:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

I am so sorry this happened. It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks so much for your reply and kind thoughts. It has been a very painful experience.

You're very welcome Maxine. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (38970 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (15913 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (10671 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (8004 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (10670 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (11993 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8763 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (15168 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (247502 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (35019 views)