Died after bloat surgery.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and 6am. She was extremely thirsty and would not eat in the morning (fed twice a day). I noticed her abdoment was enlarged and called her vet, they saw her right away. her vital signs were all normal, she was active and alert, but xrays showed that her stomach was extremely bloated and twisted. She had immediate surgery to untwist and empty the stomach, and we also opted to have her stomach tacked to prevent this from happening in the future. I was called about 1 1/2 hours later and they said the surgery went well and that the stomach and spleen tissue was pink and healthy, indicating this was caught early. I received a second call about 10 minutes later saying that Roxie had gone into cardiac arrest and they were unable to revive her. The explanation was that sometimes when the stomach gasses are released they overwhelm the dog's electrolyte balance resulting in compromised heart function. She was given lidocaine throughout surgery and had some heart arrhythmia early in the sugery, but it had been resolved.

My question is: Is this outcome often seen in young, healthy dogs where stomach bloat is caught and treated early or did she maybe have a pre-existing heart condition that caused this?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to Roxie. Bloat is one of my least favorite things to see happen to a dog.

Unfortunately, the most common complication seen in a dog with bloat is an abnormal heart rhythm which can indeed become fatal. Sometimes this abnormal rhythm is detectable before surgery but it can sometime start happening in the 24-48 hours following surgery. Lidocaine often will help to prevent this arrhythmia but it is not always effective.

The other possibility is that there may have been a buildup of toxins in the system. While usually with this we will see that the stomach or the spleen looks congested or purple, we cannot always tell by what these organs look like.

Here is a link that discusses bloat and some of the complications that can happen either during or after surgery. You can cut and paste the link into your browser to see it:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

I am so sorry this happened. It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks so much for your reply and kind thoughts. It has been a very painful experience.

You're very welcome Maxine. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10849 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (5876 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (37580 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (5611 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (14904 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10631 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (21025 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12670 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6402 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7830 views)