Died after bloat surgery.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and 6am. She was extremely thirsty and would not eat in the morning (fed twice a day). I noticed her abdoment was enlarged and called her vet, they saw her right away. her vital signs were all normal, she was active and alert, but xrays showed that her stomach was extremely bloated and twisted. She had immediate surgery to untwist and empty the stomach, and we also opted to have her stomach tacked to prevent this from happening in the future. I was called about 1 1/2 hours later and they said the surgery went well and that the stomach and spleen tissue was pink and healthy, indicating this was caught early. I received a second call about 10 minutes later saying that Roxie had gone into cardiac arrest and they were unable to revive her. The explanation was that sometimes when the stomach gasses are released they overwhelm the dog's electrolyte balance resulting in compromised heart function. She was given lidocaine throughout surgery and had some heart arrhythmia early in the sugery, but it had been resolved.

My question is: Is this outcome often seen in young, healthy dogs where stomach bloat is caught and treated early or did she maybe have a pre-existing heart condition that caused this?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to Roxie. Bloat is one of my least favorite things to see happen to a dog.

Unfortunately, the most common complication seen in a dog with bloat is an abnormal heart rhythm which can indeed become fatal. Sometimes this abnormal rhythm is detectable before surgery but it can sometime start happening in the 24-48 hours following surgery. Lidocaine often will help to prevent this arrhythmia but it is not always effective.

The other possibility is that there may have been a buildup of toxins in the system. While usually with this we will see that the stomach or the spleen looks congested or purple, we cannot always tell by what these organs look like.

Here is a link that discusses bloat and some of the complications that can happen either during or after surgery. You can cut and paste the link into your browser to see it:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

I am so sorry this happened. It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks so much for your reply and kind thoughts. It has been a very painful experience.

You're very welcome Maxine. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19547 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (22043 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (14291 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11085 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18742 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10808 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (31222 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18317 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (8295 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19814 views)