Daschund with sore neck.

Breed: dachshund
My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He received them in his neck like always and it seemed to be no problem to him. That day and night he was fine until the next morning. We woke up to find him hanging his head down. He would walk very slowly with his tail between his legs and head down and would hunch his back at times. If you tried to touch him on the sides of his neck he would yelp, also when he barked it was very painful on him. Long story short he is on cortisone and is doing better as long as he is taking the meds. Not exactly sure but think it may be a disc problem so I am keeping him on the meds and keeping him inactive and hoping it will heal. My question is would this have happened anyway or did it have anything to do with getting the shots in his neck area as this seems to be where the problem is? Or could it have been a total coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Max is having these problems. Daschunds are so vulnerable to problems with their back and neck.

This is a tough question to answer as we may never know for sure what kind of connection there is between the vaccines and the neck problem. My gut instinct is to say that this is something that would have happened at some point anyway. It may be that the problem was brewing and then the extra manipulation and stress of a vet visit was the final straw.

I have never seen an animal have a neck or back problem as a reaction to a vaccine. I have seen some animals develop an abscess at the injection site or even a localized tissue reaction which could cause swelling. However, this should only affect the skin or muscle and not the back directly. Your vet should be able to determine if this is a reaction to the vaccine by their exam.

Has your vet done any neurological testing such as knuckling his hind legs? This can tell us if there is a serious disc problem that could require surgery. I really hope not.

I hope Max is feeling better soon!

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (63834 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (10638 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (13880 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (14549 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16735 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (223995 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (10585 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (15901 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (37007 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (8449 views)