Daschund with sore neck.

Breed: dachshund
My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He received them in his neck like always and it seemed to be no problem to him. That day and night he was fine until the next morning. We woke up to find him hanging his head down. He would walk very slowly with his tail between his legs and head down and would hunch his back at times. If you tried to touch him on the sides of his neck he would yelp, also when he barked it was very painful on him. Long story short he is on cortisone and is doing better as long as he is taking the meds. Not exactly sure but think it may be a disc problem so I am keeping him on the meds and keeping him inactive and hoping it will heal. My question is would this have happened anyway or did it have anything to do with getting the shots in his neck area as this seems to be where the problem is? Or could it have been a total coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Max is having these problems. Daschunds are so vulnerable to problems with their back and neck.

This is a tough question to answer as we may never know for sure what kind of connection there is between the vaccines and the neck problem. My gut instinct is to say that this is something that would have happened at some point anyway. It may be that the problem was brewing and then the extra manipulation and stress of a vet visit was the final straw.

I have never seen an animal have a neck or back problem as a reaction to a vaccine. I have seen some animals develop an abscess at the injection site or even a localized tissue reaction which could cause swelling. However, this should only affect the skin or muscle and not the back directly. Your vet should be able to determine if this is a reaction to the vaccine by their exam.

Has your vet done any neurological testing such as knuckling his hind legs? This can tell us if there is a serious disc problem that could require surgery. I really hope not.

I hope Max is feeling better soon!

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (12751 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4093 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4316 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (4957 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (21492 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8110 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7433 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (20820 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8631 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (168341 views)