Daschund with sore neck.

Breed: dachshund
My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He received them in his neck like always and it seemed to be no problem to him. That day and night he was fine until the next morning. We woke up to find him hanging his head down. He would walk very slowly with his tail between his legs and head down and would hunch his back at times. If you tried to touch him on the sides of his neck he would yelp, also when he barked it was very painful on him. Long story short he is on cortisone and is doing better as long as he is taking the meds. Not exactly sure but think it may be a disc problem so I am keeping him on the meds and keeping him inactive and hoping it will heal. My question is would this have happened anyway or did it have anything to do with getting the shots in his neck area as this seems to be where the problem is? Or could it have been a total coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Max is having these problems. Daschunds are so vulnerable to problems with their back and neck.

This is a tough question to answer as we may never know for sure what kind of connection there is between the vaccines and the neck problem. My gut instinct is to say that this is something that would have happened at some point anyway. It may be that the problem was brewing and then the extra manipulation and stress of a vet visit was the final straw.

I have never seen an animal have a neck or back problem as a reaction to a vaccine. I have seen some animals develop an abscess at the injection site or even a localized tissue reaction which could cause swelling. However, this should only affect the skin or muscle and not the back directly. Your vet should be able to determine if this is a reaction to the vaccine by their exam.

Has your vet done any neurological testing such as knuckling his hind legs? This can tell us if there is a serious disc problem that could require surgery. I really hope not.

I hope Max is feeling better soon!

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (18962 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (11671 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5028 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15247 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9176 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (16037 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13328 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (14151 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (9192 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (8459 views)