Daschund with sore neck.

Breed: dachshund
My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He received them in his neck like always and it seemed to be no problem to him. That day and night he was fine until the next morning. We woke up to find him hanging his head down. He would walk very slowly with his tail between his legs and head down and would hunch his back at times. If you tried to touch him on the sides of his neck he would yelp, also when he barked it was very painful on him. Long story short he is on cortisone and is doing better as long as he is taking the meds. Not exactly sure but think it may be a disc problem so I am keeping him on the meds and keeping him inactive and hoping it will heal. My question is would this have happened anyway or did it have anything to do with getting the shots in his neck area as this seems to be where the problem is? Or could it have been a total coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Max is having these problems. Daschunds are so vulnerable to problems with their back and neck.

This is a tough question to answer as we may never know for sure what kind of connection there is between the vaccines and the neck problem. My gut instinct is to say that this is something that would have happened at some point anyway. It may be that the problem was brewing and then the extra manipulation and stress of a vet visit was the final straw.

I have never seen an animal have a neck or back problem as a reaction to a vaccine. I have seen some animals develop an abscess at the injection site or even a localized tissue reaction which could cause swelling. However, this should only affect the skin or muscle and not the back directly. Your vet should be able to determine if this is a reaction to the vaccine by their exam.

Has your vet done any neurological testing such as knuckling his hind legs? This can tell us if there is a serious disc problem that could require surgery. I really hope not.

I hope Max is feeling better soon!

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7676 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7010 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (5960 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40112 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20426 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17167 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (26556 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11115 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13130 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19312 views)