Daschund with sore neck.

Breed: dachshund
My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He received them in his neck like always and it seemed to be no problem to him. That day and night he was fine until the next morning. We woke up to find him hanging his head down. He would walk very slowly with his tail between his legs and head down and would hunch his back at times. If you tried to touch him on the sides of his neck he would yelp, also when he barked it was very painful on him. Long story short he is on cortisone and is doing better as long as he is taking the meds. Not exactly sure but think it may be a disc problem so I am keeping him on the meds and keeping him inactive and hoping it will heal. My question is would this have happened anyway or did it have anything to do with getting the shots in his neck area as this seems to be where the problem is? Or could it have been a total coincidence that these two things happened at the same time?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Max is having these problems. Daschunds are so vulnerable to problems with their back and neck.

This is a tough question to answer as we may never know for sure what kind of connection there is between the vaccines and the neck problem. My gut instinct is to say that this is something that would have happened at some point anyway. It may be that the problem was brewing and then the extra manipulation and stress of a vet visit was the final straw.

I have never seen an animal have a neck or back problem as a reaction to a vaccine. I have seen some animals develop an abscess at the injection site or even a localized tissue reaction which could cause swelling. However, this should only affect the skin or muscle and not the back directly. Your vet should be able to determine if this is a reaction to the vaccine by their exam.

Has your vet done any neurological testing such as knuckling his hind legs? This can tell us if there is a serious disc problem that could require surgery. I really hope not.

I hope Max is feeling better soon!

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (5298 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (3640 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (3307 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (14393 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (6722 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (20803 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (26782 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (4419 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (11951 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (18358 views)