Is Tropiclean safe?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my dog (and cat) who has bad breath. She had her teeth cleaned less than a year ago, so her mouth is fine, but her breath is awful! I picked up a product in the pet store called Tropiclean that is supposed to help freshen her breath but I wanted to confirm with you that the ingredients in it are safe for both dogs and cats:

Citric Acid, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Chlorophyllin, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, and green tea leaf extract

Thank you! :)
Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for an interesting question! It's funny that you should ask this because I am just in the process of creating a new section of my website to describe different veterinary medications including products just like this one.

First of all, good work on getting Jammy's teeth cleaned last year. This is very important. If you think about it, we, as people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every 6 months and we brush our teeth twice daily! If you can brush your pets' teeth then this really will help with the breath issues. And ideally, if you can get another dentistry done this would be even better, but I can understand that the cost adds up!

I am not completely familiar with the product that you have described but the first thing I can tell you is that there is nothing in it that is likely to be harmful at all.

Most likely this product will have a mild effect on your dog and cat's breath. It's not likely to be a miracle drug though.

I have seen a lot of similar supplements sold that promise to improve a pet's breath but I haven't found them to be too helpful.

I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think, but don't expect too much. :)

I'd love to hear what you think about the product after a month or so.

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (19040 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (32187 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (5608 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (4448 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (8248 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (22500 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (15764 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (14450 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (21488 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (9837 views)