Is Tropiclean safe?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my dog (and cat) who has bad breath. She had her teeth cleaned less than a year ago, so her mouth is fine, but her breath is awful! I picked up a product in the pet store called Tropiclean that is supposed to help freshen her breath but I wanted to confirm with you that the ingredients in it are safe for both dogs and cats:

Citric Acid, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Chlorophyllin, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, and green tea leaf extract

Thank you! :)
Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for an interesting question! It's funny that you should ask this because I am just in the process of creating a new section of my website to describe different veterinary medications including products just like this one.

First of all, good work on getting Jammy's teeth cleaned last year. This is very important. If you think about it, we, as people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every 6 months and we brush our teeth twice daily! If you can brush your pets' teeth then this really will help with the breath issues. And ideally, if you can get another dentistry done this would be even better, but I can understand that the cost adds up!

I am not completely familiar with the product that you have described but the first thing I can tell you is that there is nothing in it that is likely to be harmful at all.

Most likely this product will have a mild effect on your dog and cat's breath. It's not likely to be a miracle drug though.

I have seen a lot of similar supplements sold that promise to improve a pet's breath but I haven't found them to be too helpful.

I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think, but don't expect too much. :)

I'd love to hear what you think about the product after a month or so.

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (19718 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7036 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8732 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9196 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (13460 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (15275 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (16013 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (13194 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47646 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4800 views)