Is Tropiclean safe?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my dog (and cat) who has bad breath. She had her teeth cleaned less than a year ago, so her mouth is fine, but her breath is awful! I picked up a product in the pet store called Tropiclean that is supposed to help freshen her breath but I wanted to confirm with you that the ingredients in it are safe for both dogs and cats:

Citric Acid, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Chlorophyllin, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, and green tea leaf extract

Thank you! :)
Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for an interesting question! It's funny that you should ask this because I am just in the process of creating a new section of my website to describe different veterinary medications including products just like this one.

First of all, good work on getting Jammy's teeth cleaned last year. This is very important. If you think about it, we, as people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every 6 months and we brush our teeth twice daily! If you can brush your pets' teeth then this really will help with the breath issues. And ideally, if you can get another dentistry done this would be even better, but I can understand that the cost adds up!

I am not completely familiar with the product that you have described but the first thing I can tell you is that there is nothing in it that is likely to be harmful at all.

Most likely this product will have a mild effect on your dog and cat's breath. It's not likely to be a miracle drug though.

I have seen a lot of similar supplements sold that promise to improve a pet's breath but I haven't found them to be too helpful.

I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think, but don't expect too much. :)

I'd love to hear what you think about the product after a month or so.

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (14565 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (31642 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (15165 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10022 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8526 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10491 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8552 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7555 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17811 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9829 views)