Is Tropiclean safe?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my dog (and cat) who has bad breath. She had her teeth cleaned less than a year ago, so her mouth is fine, but her breath is awful! I picked up a product in the pet store called Tropiclean that is supposed to help freshen her breath but I wanted to confirm with you that the ingredients in it are safe for both dogs and cats:

Citric Acid, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Chlorophyllin, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, and green tea leaf extract

Thank you! :)
Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for an interesting question! It's funny that you should ask this because I am just in the process of creating a new section of my website to describe different veterinary medications including products just like this one.

First of all, good work on getting Jammy's teeth cleaned last year. This is very important. If you think about it, we, as people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every 6 months and we brush our teeth twice daily! If you can brush your pets' teeth then this really will help with the breath issues. And ideally, if you can get another dentistry done this would be even better, but I can understand that the cost adds up!

I am not completely familiar with the product that you have described but the first thing I can tell you is that there is nothing in it that is likely to be harmful at all.

Most likely this product will have a mild effect on your dog and cat's breath. It's not likely to be a miracle drug though.

I have seen a lot of similar supplements sold that promise to improve a pet's breath but I haven't found them to be too helpful.

I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think, but don't expect too much. :)

I'd love to hear what you think about the product after a month or so.

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (8427 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (4329 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (7765 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (9403 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (4787 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (8920 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (41636 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (3670 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (8837 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (42153 views)