Is Tropiclean safe?

Breed: Border Collie
Dear Dr. Marie:

Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my dog (and cat) who has bad breath. She had her teeth cleaned less than a year ago, so her mouth is fine, but her breath is awful! I picked up a product in the pet store called Tropiclean that is supposed to help freshen her breath but I wanted to confirm with you that the ingredients in it are safe for both dogs and cats:

Citric Acid, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Chlorophyllin, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, and green tea leaf extract

Thank you! :)
Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for an interesting question! It's funny that you should ask this because I am just in the process of creating a new section of my website to describe different veterinary medications including products just like this one.

First of all, good work on getting Jammy's teeth cleaned last year. This is very important. If you think about it, we, as people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every 6 months and we brush our teeth twice daily! If you can brush your pets' teeth then this really will help with the breath issues. And ideally, if you can get another dentistry done this would be even better, but I can understand that the cost adds up!

I am not completely familiar with the product that you have described but the first thing I can tell you is that there is nothing in it that is likely to be harmful at all.

Most likely this product will have a mild effect on your dog and cat's breath. It's not likely to be a miracle drug though.

I have seen a lot of similar supplements sold that promise to improve a pet's breath but I haven't found them to be too helpful.

I would recommend that you give it a try and see what you think, but don't expect too much. :)

I'd love to hear what you think about the product after a month or so.

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (21685 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (45253 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (25356 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (66741 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (27364 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (79787 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8260 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (4921 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (21146 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (13923 views)