congested kitten

Breed: Tiger striped
Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on & off.At first i thought it was just a hairball but ever time she would go to cough it up she would swallow it back down.But last night she finally let it out & it was a flem ball but she still sounds like she's conjested.So i was just like to know if it might be a cold & if there may be any meds. that i would be able to buy her at a pet store.And she also looks to be a little over 8 weeks old. thank you for ur time and please email me back as soon as u can.

Sorry to hear that Bella may not be well.

While I can't say for sure, I am concerned that she may have a respiratory virus.

The good news is that most cats will get over these on their own just like we will be able to get through a cold on our own.

There really aren't any medicines that you can give to help. However, you may be able to help the congestion by putting her in a bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes as necessary.

She will need to see the vet if she is not eating, if she seems really uncomfortable or if there is a green or yellow discharge from her eyes or nose.

Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, but we do not always do this as the antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection but simply fight against secondary bacterial infections. They may also prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help the immune system fight against the virus.

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (243466 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (14484 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (5672 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (7032 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22921 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (9060 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (20193 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (9049 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (26320 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (49211 views)