congested kitten

Breed: Tiger striped
Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on & off.At first i thought it was just a hairball but ever time she would go to cough it up she would swallow it back down.But last night she finally let it out & it was a flem ball but she still sounds like she's conjested.So i was just like to know if it might be a cold & if there may be any meds. that i would be able to buy her at a pet store.And she also looks to be a little over 8 weeks old. thank you for ur time and please email me back as soon as u can.

Sorry to hear that Bella may not be well.

While I can't say for sure, I am concerned that she may have a respiratory virus.

The good news is that most cats will get over these on their own just like we will be able to get through a cold on our own.

There really aren't any medicines that you can give to help. However, you may be able to help the congestion by putting her in a bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes as necessary.

She will need to see the vet if she is not eating, if she seems really uncomfortable or if there is a green or yellow discharge from her eyes or nose.

Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, but we do not always do this as the antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection but simply fight against secondary bacterial infections. They may also prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help the immune system fight against the virus.

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6328 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17330 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20838 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12961 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (8305 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31595 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12463 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17699 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7281 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (102859 views)