congested kitten

Breed: Tiger striped
Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on & off.At first i thought it was just a hairball but ever time she would go to cough it up she would swallow it back down.But last night she finally let it out & it was a flem ball but she still sounds like she's conjested.So i was just like to know if it might be a cold & if there may be any meds. that i would be able to buy her at a pet store.And she also looks to be a little over 8 weeks old. thank you for ur time and please email me back as soon as u can.

Sorry to hear that Bella may not be well.

While I can't say for sure, I am concerned that she may have a respiratory virus.

The good news is that most cats will get over these on their own just like we will be able to get through a cold on our own.

There really aren't any medicines that you can give to help. However, you may be able to help the congestion by putting her in a bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes as necessary.

She will need to see the vet if she is not eating, if she seems really uncomfortable or if there is a green or yellow discharge from her eyes or nose.

Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, but we do not always do this as the antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection but simply fight against secondary bacterial infections. They may also prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help the immune system fight against the virus.

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (17983 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11500 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13573 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (7072 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6574 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11240 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26815 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15978 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11407 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7812 views)