congested kitten

Breed: Tiger striped
Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on & off.At first i thought it was just a hairball but ever time she would go to cough it up she would swallow it back down.But last night she finally let it out & it was a flem ball but she still sounds like she's conjested.So i was just like to know if it might be a cold & if there may be any meds. that i would be able to buy her at a pet store.And she also looks to be a little over 8 weeks old. thank you for ur time and please email me back as soon as u can.

Sorry to hear that Bella may not be well.

While I can't say for sure, I am concerned that she may have a respiratory virus.

The good news is that most cats will get over these on their own just like we will be able to get through a cold on our own.

There really aren't any medicines that you can give to help. However, you may be able to help the congestion by putting her in a bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes as necessary.

She will need to see the vet if she is not eating, if she seems really uncomfortable or if there is a green or yellow discharge from her eyes or nose.

Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, but we do not always do this as the antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection but simply fight against secondary bacterial infections. They may also prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help the immune system fight against the virus.

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11090 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (4690 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (16303 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (11666 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (34075 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5328 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7260 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (15919 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (7093 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (33145 views)