congested kitten

Breed: Tiger striped
Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on & off.At first i thought it was just a hairball but ever time she would go to cough it up she would swallow it back down.But last night she finally let it out & it was a flem ball but she still sounds like she's conjested.So i was just like to know if it might be a cold & if there may be any meds. that i would be able to buy her at a pet store.And she also looks to be a little over 8 weeks old. thank you for ur time and please email me back as soon as u can.

Sorry to hear that Bella may not be well.

While I can't say for sure, I am concerned that she may have a respiratory virus.

The good news is that most cats will get over these on their own just like we will be able to get through a cold on our own.

There really aren't any medicines that you can give to help. However, you may be able to help the congestion by putting her in a bathroom next to a steamy shower for 10 minutes as necessary.

She will need to see the vet if she is not eating, if she seems really uncomfortable or if there is a green or yellow discharge from her eyes or nose.

Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, but we do not always do this as the antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection but simply fight against secondary bacterial infections. They may also prescribe an amino acid called lysine which will help the immune system fight against the virus.

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (36878 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (44722 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7052 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (36440 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8653 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10432 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5776 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8349 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (5136 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56896 views)