Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Teacup Pomeranian
My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog (my lab). Which is 1620 mg spinosad/27 mg milbemycin oxime. So she ate 810 mg. This happened about 9 hours ago. She digested it as her feces was a white color (the same color as the Trifexis). She is not lethargic & is running around wagging her tail. However, she has not stopped shaking for the past 30mins I have been home. Are we in the clear since so much time has passed, or should a take her to emergency vet?

Hi,

It does sound like Sophie is not doing well with this potential overdose. We can see toxic effects if more than 400mg/kg of spinosad is ingested. If Sophie is 4-5 lbs that means she is about 2 kg. This means that anything over 800mg of spinosad could cause toxic effects. So yes, there is a possibility that she has ingested a toxic dose.

I'm not sure how to explain the white feces. White feces can happen if there is a bile duct blockage, but it really wouldn't happen this quickly.

The fact that she is shaking is worrisome as well. It may be that she is going to have a seizure.

I would definitely recommend an emergency visit tonight. The vet will be able to monitor Sophie and, if necessary give anti-seizure medicines as well as medicines to help stop the absorption of more spinosad. They will also likely want to run tests to see if her liver function is ok.

My gut instinct is that things will be ok, but I would definitely take her in right away.

Hope things work out alright!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your prompt reply! Have a blessed New Year:)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7958 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (10929 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7838 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12474 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14741 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6813 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (6980 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7951 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14870 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5886 views)