Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Teacup Pomeranian
My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog (my lab). Which is 1620 mg spinosad/27 mg milbemycin oxime. So she ate 810 mg. This happened about 9 hours ago. She digested it as her feces was a white color (the same color as the Trifexis). She is not lethargic & is running around wagging her tail. However, she has not stopped shaking for the past 30mins I have been home. Are we in the clear since so much time has passed, or should a take her to emergency vet?

Hi,

It does sound like Sophie is not doing well with this potential overdose. We can see toxic effects if more than 400mg/kg of spinosad is ingested. If Sophie is 4-5 lbs that means she is about 2 kg. This means that anything over 800mg of spinosad could cause toxic effects. So yes, there is a possibility that she has ingested a toxic dose.

I'm not sure how to explain the white feces. White feces can happen if there is a bile duct blockage, but it really wouldn't happen this quickly.

The fact that she is shaking is worrisome as well. It may be that she is going to have a seizure.

I would definitely recommend an emergency visit tonight. The vet will be able to monitor Sophie and, if necessary give anti-seizure medicines as well as medicines to help stop the absorption of more spinosad. They will also likely want to run tests to see if her liver function is ok.

My gut instinct is that things will be ok, but I would definitely take her in right away.

Hope things work out alright!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your prompt reply! Have a blessed New Year:)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (15331 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (11087 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (6337 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (9821 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (6173 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (48111 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (13395 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (21161 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (28156 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (9368 views)