Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Teacup Pomeranian
My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog (my lab). Which is 1620 mg spinosad/27 mg milbemycin oxime. So she ate 810 mg. This happened about 9 hours ago. She digested it as her feces was a white color (the same color as the Trifexis). She is not lethargic & is running around wagging her tail. However, she has not stopped shaking for the past 30mins I have been home. Are we in the clear since so much time has passed, or should a take her to emergency vet?

Hi,

It does sound like Sophie is not doing well with this potential overdose. We can see toxic effects if more than 400mg/kg of spinosad is ingested. If Sophie is 4-5 lbs that means she is about 2 kg. This means that anything over 800mg of spinosad could cause toxic effects. So yes, there is a possibility that she has ingested a toxic dose.

I'm not sure how to explain the white feces. White feces can happen if there is a bile duct blockage, but it really wouldn't happen this quickly.

The fact that she is shaking is worrisome as well. It may be that she is going to have a seizure.

I would definitely recommend an emergency visit tonight. The vet will be able to monitor Sophie and, if necessary give anti-seizure medicines as well as medicines to help stop the absorption of more spinosad. They will also likely want to run tests to see if her liver function is ok.

My gut instinct is that things will be ok, but I would definitely take her in right away.

Hope things work out alright!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your prompt reply! Have a blessed New Year:)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (8697 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (35833 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (9423 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (20701 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (9726 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (14871 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (19540 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (9753 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (11561 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (26589 views)