Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Trifexis overdose.

Species: Dog
Breed: Teacup Pomeranian
Age: 1-2 years
My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog (my lab). Which is 1620 mg spinosad/27 mg milbemycin oxime. So she ate 810 mg. This happened about 9 hours ago. She digested it as her feces was a white color (the same color as the Trifexis). She is not lethargic & is running around wagging her tail. However, she has not stopped shaking for the past 30mins I have been home. Are we in the clear since so much time has passed, or should a take her to emergency vet?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi,

It does sound like Sophie is not doing well with this potential overdose. We can see toxic effects if more than 400mg/kg of spinosad is ingested. If Sophie is 4-5 lbs that means she is about 2 kg. This means that anything over 800mg of spinosad could cause toxic effects. So yes, there is a possibility that she has ingested a toxic dose.


I'm not sure how to explain the white feces. White feces can happen if there is a bile duct blockage, but it really wouldn't happen this quickly.

The fact that she is shaking is worrisome as well. It may be that she is going to have a seizure.

I would definitely recommend an emergency visit tonight. The vet will be able to monitor Sophie and, if necessary give anti-seizure medicines as well as medicines to help stop the absorption of more spinosad. They will also likely want to run tests to see if her liver function is ok.

My gut instinct is that things will be ok, but I would definitely take her in right away.

Hope things work out alright!

Dr. Marie.



Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you so much! I appreciate your prompt reply! Have a blessed New Year:)


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (39054 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (17042 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (5905 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12494 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (110394 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (26588 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (14652 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (38538 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (16413 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (19931 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.