Trifexis overdose.

Breed: Teacup Pomeranian
My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog (my lab). Which is 1620 mg spinosad/27 mg milbemycin oxime. So she ate 810 mg. This happened about 9 hours ago. She digested it as her feces was a white color (the same color as the Trifexis). She is not lethargic & is running around wagging her tail. However, she has not stopped shaking for the past 30mins I have been home. Are we in the clear since so much time has passed, or should a take her to emergency vet?

Hi,

It does sound like Sophie is not doing well with this potential overdose. We can see toxic effects if more than 400mg/kg of spinosad is ingested. If Sophie is 4-5 lbs that means she is about 2 kg. This means that anything over 800mg of spinosad could cause toxic effects. So yes, there is a possibility that she has ingested a toxic dose.

I'm not sure how to explain the white feces. White feces can happen if there is a bile duct blockage, but it really wouldn't happen this quickly.

The fact that she is shaking is worrisome as well. It may be that she is going to have a seizure.

I would definitely recommend an emergency visit tonight. The vet will be able to monitor Sophie and, if necessary give anti-seizure medicines as well as medicines to help stop the absorption of more spinosad. They will also likely want to run tests to see if her liver function is ok.

My gut instinct is that things will be ok, but I would definitely take her in right away.

Hope things work out alright!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your prompt reply! Have a blessed New Year:)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6186 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (15315 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17441 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10668 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (30842 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17367 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (15866 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34656 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6152 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (11834 views)